$599.00. Again with no information of any value. There has been some bits and

pieces about wireless transmition to the computer and controling the camera

from the computer but no good writeups. Does anyone have any real info on

this. Why so expensive? What I really want is a simple wireless remote to

fire the d-200 just like they have for the d-70. One that does not require any

attachments to the body or special wires ect.ect. Even the store I do business

with does not seem to know much. You would'nt think it would be this

complicated. And I do not want to spend about $600.00 unless this thing does

something truly amazing. So If you know anything I would appricate the help.

Thanks

Berryl

Thanks,

But I have been to that site before, they do not really give out to much info. However I checked them out again and they say nothing about the WT-3A that I have not already got. The ML-3 has two parts and in order to use it you have to attach the reciever end to the hot shoe and plug in the 10 pin connector. Why so complicated when the d-70 remote is one piece, nothing to hook up to the camera. You would thing with the D-200 being the superior camera it would have at least the same setup! Thanks for looking though!

Berryl

Beryl - I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but here goes...

The WT-3A is a wireless transmitter that allows you to transfer pictures from your D200 to a computer using 802.11. It is NOT a remote control device.

As already stated, the ML-3 is what you're looking for, but it's not cheap at around $135 or so. It connects to the 10-pin connector of any Nikon film or DSLR with such a connector.

DOn't know about 3rd party remotes.

<i>It connects to the 10-pin connector of any Nikon film or DSLR with such a connector. </i>

<p><p>

I should clarify that the ML-3 comes in 2 pieces -- the receiver, which plugs in to the 10-pin connector on the camera body, and the transmitter, which you use to remotely trigger the exposure.

Except for the confusion about image transfer and remote control - here to the remote control:

"Why so complicated when the d-70 remote is one piece, nothing to hook up to the camera."

Perhaps because this time it is supposed to actually work well? (At least I hope it does. Have not tried it yet.) If you ever used the remote on the D70 except for self-portrait you know what I mean .-)

So if I understand correctly the d-200 does not have a built in reciever like the d-70 does. And you are saying that this is probably good sence the reciever system on the d-70 is basicly a piece of #%*!# um junk. This new system will work from a 360 degree circle plus the uploading and remote control features. Eather way it will reqire a two piece setup. Looks like the ML-3 the way to go as I do not see the WT-3A being worth $600.00. Thanks guys, as always it is appreachated.

Berryl

What do you need a remote for? The ML-3 is an odd bit of kit that many people find does not really meet their needs. It has limited range (26 feet is in subdued light with the sensor pointed right at the transmitter).

I ask because some folks buy remotes to use for things like wildlife photography and then find the ML-3 doesn't do the job.

Todd, Is that true, the ML-3 does not funtion well. The reason I want a wireless remote is for convienence mainly, however it is nice for keeping the camera still for certain types of exposiers, and being able to take a shot without being near the camera. The selftimer works but is not very convienent.

Berryl

Mr. Jackson, I think those are cable remotes, I have a cable remote, and the self timer also works good when you want to fire the camera without touching it. If you want to aleave all possiblily of movement you want to use a tripod {a given}, lock up the mirror, and use a remote trigger, via wired, wireless, or the selftimer. A wireless remote would be the most handy.

Berryl

I have also been vacillating on which remote to purchase....although the WT-3A was not even on my radar! I thought that was a wireless transmitter for sending your shots to a laptop...period. Nikon is providing me with lots of time to decide, since NOBODY seems to have any of the wireless remotes in stock! This reminds me of EN-EL3e battery availablity...and, I just cannot understand why. The longer I go without one, the more I question whether I really need a wireless remote.

The ML-3 set works OK within about ten feet (in all lighting) if you can point the receiver at the transmitter so it can 'see' it. It also has a limited 'beam trip' capability, subject to the same restrictions.

As the lighting levels drop to say, a typical office environment, you can get the range up to about 25 feet. It's still subject to pointing the receiver at the transmitter. If the transmitter is more than about 15 degrees off-axis, the range drops dramatically.

Berryl,

I was in the same boat a month ago. I wanted to take pictures of hummingbirds on my back deck with my D200, and did not want to sit in the heat of the day while doing so. I ended up purchasing the TWIN-1, which does have a receiver that hooks up to the 10-pin, and a transmitter that will work for both the 10pin receiver as well as a D70 (we have both). It has plenty of range (I fired from around 50 ft). Although this receiver is line of site, it does allow firing from in front of or behind the camera. In fact we sat in an upstairs room and fired when a hummer came into range. It worked well. It also has enough of a "burst" so that if you set your D200 in Highspeed continuous mode, you can fire two rounds rather nicely. I purchased it at my local camera store for $89. It also has a wire that you can hook directly from the transmitter to receiver and go into "wired" mode.

Hope this helps.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...