Wrong summicron as a gift, not a complaint, but need recommendation.

keith_merrill

So my wife bought me a gift on ebay for my birthday. She has seen

that I have taken a liking to leica M cameras and so, behind my

back, bought me a 50mm Summicron. Its a mint quality lens that in

appearance is like new and she didn't pay much for it. There is one

problem though, Its an R summicron, not an M summicron, and I don't

own a leica R camera. I tried to get the guy to take it back, but

he will not, saying there are no returns unless the condition was

misrepresented. Fair enough, but now I have an R Summicron and no

body to use it on, so I want a body.

I shoot with a pentax slr so I don't have canon bodies to use an

adapter with, and I have been reading some horror stories on this

forum of the R series. I would really like to shoot with the lens

and see how good it is, but need a body.

Can anybody give me a recommendation as to a manual R series camera

that has a good track record for repairs and wont break the bank, or

just scratch the idea and try to sell back on ebay. What does

everybody think?

You can get an EOS body plus adapter that will use your R lens with an autowinder and great focusing. Elan II for <$150 second hand (which I use occasionally) or EOS 3 for around $500. Or you could really bust out to the dark side and get the DRebel for $899 and have yourself an 80mm equivalent summicron and be digital. Just don't get an Elan 7 because it is the only EOS camera that doesn't work for some reason with the Leica R adapter. You can get the R4s which I use and like for +/- $350 and have a great film machine. Later pick up the 90mm or 135mm or 180mm cheap and have a great usable system that compliments the M that you will eventually have. Or maybe somebody will trade your lens for an M version. I don't see how you can lose. Good luck.

You could also consider a Leicaflex body - BUT - recent 50 Summicrons are not compatable; Leica started leaving off the aperture-linkage- levers ("cams") for Leicaflex use to save money about 1984 (serial no. in the 33xxxxxx range somewhere).

If your lens is the newer type, it should have small engraving somewhere on the side of the barrel to the effect of "R-Only". In which case you must get an R3...R9 body of your choice. Alternatively, look inside the back of the lens - a 3-cam lens will have two visible silvery wedge-like ramps concentric to the rear element, plus a small black stairstepped cam, all of which move when you turn the aperture ring; a single-cam "R-only" lens will have just the stair-stepped cam.

If it does turn out to be a "3-cam" Leicaflex-compatible lens - then a Leicaflex SL is a wonderful, all mechnical, 'hockey-puck' camera body, available for $300-$500 depending on cosmetics.

Here's the thing: you've got an M system and an R lens. The suggestions that you get a body, R (heaven help you) or EOS+Adaptor all involve spending more money, thus taking you further from getting the Summicron-M you really want. I'm with the guys who said to sell the lens.

One of the toughest days I ever worked (many years ago, $4 per hour) was the day after Christmas in a department store. All the men bringing back the stuff their wives had lovingly bought. All the women bringing back the idiotic gifts their husbands had bought out of guilt.

Don't wear a hair shirt for the rest of your days (R system). Get the M lens, and take pictures of your wife.

<I>If it does turn out to be a "3-cam" Leicaflex-compatible lens - then a Leicaflex SL is a wonderful, all mechnical, 'hockey-puck' camera body, available for $300-$500 depending on cosmetics.</I>

<P>

Many supposedly "R-only" 50mm Summicrons can be used on the Leicaflexes without modification. They have a Leicaflex-compatible flange and only lack the first and second cams. This sort of lens can be used on the SL and SL2 with stop-down metering, and on the Leicaflex Standard with a hand-held meter or by using Sunny 16.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the recommendations. My wife is one swell woman. I give her her fair share of gifts, but this one was out of left field. I haven't told her it is the wrong lens yet, and I don't know if I will because she was so excited to give it to me and I don't want to upset her any. I am going to mull over what I am going to do and take everybody's comments into consideration.

Andy, thanks for all the info, based on your description it is a "3 cam" lens with a serial number of 311xxxx. 50mm is my favorite focal length length so I might look for a body just to use this lens and also get a 50 for the M. Still up in the air though. thanks all.

Another vote for getting a Leicaflex SL. If the required cams are missing, they can be added. The SL is a fine camera and does not have the problems that Jay laments in the later R series. If you decide to look for the SL, try to find one with a clear finder and the metal lens release tab.