Write Speed of Older Extreme Pro 45 MB/s Vs Newer Extreme Pro 95 MB/s SD Memory Cards

elliot1

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I have the E-M1 and was having trouble with it locking up for extended periods after shooting continuous, so I checked out my SD card and found it was only rated at 10 mb/s. I bought the Sandisk 95 MB/s card you are talking about and ran some tests. I don't have the 45 mb/s card but you can draw your own conclusions.</p>

<p>Apacer 10mb/s card: 35 RAW images captured in 5.5 seconds before it slowed down, then continued at 0.69 fps. Burst was approx 10 mb/s.<br>

Sandisk 95 mb/s card: 53 RAW images captured in 7.8 seconds before it slowed down, then continued at 2.9 fps. Burst was approx 90 mb/s.</p>

<p>From this, you can see that the camera is well able to make full use of the rated transfer speed, I would guess the 45 mb/s card would be somewhere inbetween the above two figures. I understand the camera can not support >90 mb/s so buying a fancy 280 mb/s card would be a waste of time. I also see even the 90 mb/s card can not sustain that speed for long - once it drops to 2.9 fps that is pushing through a constant 30 mb/s according to my calculations - does that mean the fast card just has a fast cache?</p>

<p>Also I noted in the test that the time to clear a burst went from 48 seconds to 12 seconds, and of course the E-M1 prevents you from entering playback mode while it is clearing the buffer - good enough reason to get the fast one IMHO. Also, 2.9 fps is how fast my first airshow camera was, so in my situation it's fast enough even after burst mode has been expended, to continue shooting at 2.9 fps - it's quick enough for me that I have effectively an unlimited 3 fps RAW recording capability which makes me jump for joy compared to my old 30D in particular</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Chris</p>

• 2 weeks later...