Wrinkled Backdrop - how to people deal with it?

zm

What are good ways to deal with wrinkles in a backdrop?

I recently started taking portraits. I have a white and black

backdrops made of linen and sometimes the wrinkles show up in the

photos, especially the white. I thought the light would wash it out

or if I had the subject some distance from the background, that the

wrinkles wouldn't show, but especially on the white, shadows show

where the wrinkles are. It's not hideous but would be improved

without the wrinkles showing.

The backdrop is folded up for storage, no other way to do it.

For white, should I put a light on the backdrop itself to over

expose it and wash out the wrinkles?

Thanks, Zoran.

a good garmet steamer may work...or try putting the muslin in your dryer with a damp towel for 20 min's or so and then bring it out and hang it while it's warm...put a few books on the bottom to stretch it a little. Muslin wrinkles...just the nature of the material...if you want a perfect white backdrop...maybe rolled paper would be a better bet.

Hmmm. I don't bother with the wrinkles. I just stuff the backdrop in a bag (instead of folding, to avoid straight-line wrinkles) for storage.

I usually put my subject about 4 to 5 feet in front of the backdrop and shoot just about wide open from about 6 to 8 feet in front of the subject. I always have a light on the backdrop as well.

Attached is a photo of one of the most wrinkled backdrops you'll ever see. No attempt has ever been made to get rid of it's wrinkles, and it's a couple years old.<div>00EYef-27041484.jpg.abcfe08dc62d62d552d262b53d06e463.jpg</div>

If you want the background to be "washed out" and overexposed so nothing appears, you need to light the backdrop from at least two different angles if you are experiencing shadows where the wrinkles are. If you light the fablic in the back from two sides you will eliminate the shadow and acheive better results.

Cheers!

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I am new at photo.net but maybe i can assist you. There are many "ways" people try to deal with wrinkles. One of the solutions that we invite our customers to try has had really good feedback and is relatively easy although you will need direct sunlight.

On your LAWN find a dry, clean spot that is exposed to sunlight. Unfold your muslin and lay it out completely spread open and pulled snug at each corner. (some clients use small weights to secure each corner) Depending on amount of sunlight and color of muslin (longer for light colors) allow the muslin to "warm up." As it warms it will soften and this is when you want to hang it. A lot of the wrinkles will "fall" out. In extremely wrinkled situations, try using a spray mist bottle on the muslin before laying it in the sun.

Remember, use a soft, dry & clean spot on your lawn. - This solution isn't perfect for everyone, but over the years we have found it to be awesome.

Master Backdrops

www.masterbackdrops.com

contact@masterbackdrops.com