"Wow, you have a really nice camera"

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by scott_mills, Sep 26, 2008.

1. How many times do you hear "Wow, you have a really nice camera"? It bugs me, just a little bit (I can't help it)
    when I give a friend or family member a nice print and they compliment my camera. Does this happen to you? Does
    it bug you?

2. Ernest Hemingway: "Good pictures, what camera do you use?"
    Irving Penn: "What typewriter do you use?"

3. No, most people, who no nothing about photography, think that since YOU have a nice camera, it MUST take Great photgraphs.
    They think all You have to do is press the shutter release and BINGO! the camera has taken another great photo. Just smile and thank them, and move on.

4. Great quote Eric, I'll have to use a variations on that some time in the future.

5. Moose Peterson (I think) said that "no matter how much I beg and plead with my camera, it won't go out and take great pictures without me." Or words to that effect. I'm sure my quote is off a bit but not much.

Mine behaves the same way and I even bought it CS2.

Conni

6. Move on. They means well. :)
    Alternatively, hand them the camera and tell them to just set it to P Mode for Professional results. Then act surprised if they don't get a good one. LOL!
    Mary

7. I once said that to a professional photographer packing fancy gear. He was not amused. It was meant as a joke but I didn't tell him that. :)

8. And then there are some folks who just can't make enough jokes on the same topic...

http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00QynI

9. Usually they think that you are a pro if you have a fancy camera with all the do-dads....lol! I agree with Richard on what he
    said. The only people who have told me I have a nice camera are fellow camera-loving family members...:)

10. I don't mind. After all, I do have a very nice camera.
    Don't sweat the silly stuff. After all, who are you taking photos for? Yourself, or idiots?

11. Lou Ann Aepelbacher, a PN Photographer I greatly admire has a great little blip regarding this in her Biography that fits this to a tee. "An amateur photographer was invited to dinner with friends, and he took along a few pictures to show to them. The hostess looked at the photos and commented, "These are very good! You must have a good camera." The photographer didn't make any comment, but as he was leaving to go home, he said, "That was a really delicious meal! You must have some very good pots." Loved it when I read it. All credit to Lou Ann.

12. "Don't sweat the silly stuff. After all, who are you taking photos for? Yourself, or idiots?"

Actually, it's for both, and that's where the problem lies.

I'm trying to sell my photos, so when I get "Wow, you must have a great camera" AND "Do you use PhotoShop?", I do start to sweat under the collar.

The only thing worse is when you tell them the price of a print, and they say "What! I know a place that will print a 11x14 for 0.99 cents."

13. I always just take that as an extension of the compliment to me. Seems ironic to worry about it though, since just about
    everyone that posts a photo here specifies the camera, lens, flash etc.

14. And from one month ago...

http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00Qfxd

15. I recently showed some prints at a camera club meeting (i.e. to other photographers) and got multiple people ask "what camera do you use?" which is basically the same thing.

I just take it as a compliment. It is easier to say "wow, you have a nice camera", or "wow, what camera do you use?" than it is to say "Huh . . . my photos never turn out as well" or whatever it is they might otherwise say.

16. But, to pot the other side of the argument for a moment....

if the camera / lens didn't make that amount of difference professionals would all use P&S cameras

and the forums here would be sadly depleted of their 'what gear is best' posts.

17. I believe in trying to educate people about what goes into a good photograph. Actually the people who say this tend to also admit that even with a nice camera, they probably couldn't master it and the technique to take similar photos. So either my audience is more knowledgeable or I'm just lucky.

18. I frequently use Mamiya TLRs (C3,C220, C330), which usually elicit a comment along the lines of, "What in God's Name is that !?"

19. Just my view, but for your average person viewing an image it's hard to understand all the elliments that make it "good" to them, so they do what most people do when they don't understand something but like it anyway. They try to compliment it on a level that makes sense to them. In most cases the intentions are positive, in those cases I really think you just have to look past their ignorrance and take it as a compliment.

How ever in some cases, there are the people that indicate the only reason you can make good pictures is due to your camera and those people you should ignore, or perhaps even give an insightful witticism. I think in some cases there are even photographers who believe they can't make good pictures without the best gear. I think at the end of the day you have to admit to yourself as a photographer, that while having gear that let's you down or hinders you is definitely not ideal, with creativity and a bit of resourcefulness you can work within most limitations to create something powerful.

Maybe I've gone way off the mark, and maybe that was all not very insightful, but that's my view on it.

20. Just be happy that they appreciate your photos.

21. The camera matters, the lenses you use matter, does anyone really not believe that?

http://www.dpchallenge.com the highest scoring image are from better cameras.
    When I switched from a P&S to a digital my score went up right away.

Having a good camera is not enough to produce a good photo, but a poor camera will make it very hard to get a really good one.

To all the people who insist on using cooking and pots as an analogy I have to assume that you are not very good cooks or you would show some pride in your pots, in cooking the pots matter.

A lot of the photos I get are not so much because I have a really nice camera, but because I have a really nice lens, the point is the same, the gear helps a lot in getting a photo.

22. Actually, I find that to be a good icebreaker. I have begun a series of people pictures and find beginning a conversation with potential subjects a key. If they start that by asking about my camera, all the better.

23. Are we really so surprised when people talk this way, after seeing thousands of ads claiming that buying certain products will change
    everything? At times I'm caught in it myself, because actually my amazing new DSLR with Matrix Metering, Dynamic Range Optimizer,
    spot-on focusing, 10 Megapixel resolution and a pretty great onboard image processor is giving me jpegs straight out of the box that are
    technically superior to those from my old camera. It's also just as important where, when, in what light, and how I compose the images.
    So, probably to an extent everyone's right on this topic, whatever their position about equipment and skill. It's a big, often paradoxical
    world. Anyone can slip into becoming dogmatic in his/her own positions.

24. Photography is not like cooking or painting. Any random person off the street can set their camera to auto and sometimes get an amazing photo. Give that same person some paint or pots and you won't get a beautiful painting or gourmet meal. Great photographers consistently turn out great work but anybody can ocasionally make a great photo. That's why most people don't view photographers the same way as painters or chefs.

25. For occasions like you experienced there are to 2 rules to follow.

Rule 1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Rule 2. It's all small stuff.

26. I would think they're sincere, and impressed. Putting myself in their shoes I'd likely say the same thing.

Just say thanks, and discuss the camera a bit, if you have the time? They might be considering getting in to photography, be curious what features to look for, what such a camera might set *them* back, etc.

27. I sometimes rue the day that Canon made some of their L lenses white. If someone asks for help and I have time I give it
    to them. Otherwise I just smile and say thanks and move on. However, as Les said I have never in hundreds of games
    been questioned when I walk onto the field with a white lens. So as Cheney said; "so".

28. ted_marcus|1

ted_marcus|1 Ted R. Marcus

I get those remarks occasionally, both from ordinary folks and from security guards who inform me that "professional photography" in their territory requires a permit.

My "professional" camera is a Rebel XT, with undistinguished black lenses.

29. Doesn't bother me anymore. Still a compliment. What do they know to say? We would be charmed if it were
    more personal,more thoughtful appraisal,--- " I just ADORE your use of negative space and how you captured
    the magic light and colors just POP etc etc.." Easier to ask something about the great camera rather than
    just gawk I suppose. I am exaggerating, but still....

Stick to your mates at photo net to buck you up. We have all been there...Mendel and Benlui above have caught
    the psychology in lame comments. Hard to resist thinking " What an empty and dismissive remark to
    care about the camera that got this shot." I understand.

My once boss said " Funny, but my wife uses that same Canon MC camera and you get such good results." I loved
    that. Bread and butter for the soul.

30. Sometimes when people compliment your camera, they are essentially implying that either "you're not all that special" or "I could be just as good with that camera". It's pure ignorence and arrogance. They know essentially nothing about photography, but they think exactly the opposite and choose to express their positions in a very offensive manner. I get especially offended when they specifically question my expertise with photography while complimenting my camera...

31. >>> Does this happen to you? Does it bug you?

No. If it did, it wouldn't bug me.

32. Shuo, while I think that that's what it appears like on the surface, MOST people, including non photographers, know that deep down it's not that easy. and when people say "you must have a nice camera" they are really just jealous that they can't take as nice of a picture. I have a friend that is ALWAYS saying this too just because he knows it urks me. For my own sanity, I like to stick with the viewpoint that "they're all just jealous" I find it calms me quite nicely when I get upset about this matter ;)

Unfortunately this problem will never go away. even 20 years from now where every single person owns an amazing camera that gives large format results in a point and shoot that costs $100. As pointed out, comparing it to painting the fundamental issue will never go away that even though it takes artistic/technical skill, foresight, and patience to make great photos, in essence you are still just CAPTURING a moment and not CREATING it, thus everyone will think they can do it!

33. Doesn't bug me. I was in a park adjacent to the Cherokee National Forest a few days ago, and was about to set off
    down another trail. I had a stranger stop me, basically blocking me into a parking space, to ask, What magazine did I
    work for? He had seen me using my equipment earlier, and automatically assumed that because I happened to have a
    lot of stuff with me that I must be some high-end photo-pro. That's okay. It was an icebreaker, and we used it as a
    conversation starter to talk about photos and some good places to make them.

When you meet people who tell you stuff like this, there are a bunch of things you can talk about: introduce them to
    your equipment, recommend books, tip them to a good setup location, talk about how your love of photography has
    grown over the years. If they're asking this, they must look up to you a little bit; why not be a good mentor?

34. Okay, maybe here's an example of how you could turn it around. Let's say you have your camera with you when you
    give them the print, and they say, "Nice camera." You could use your knowledge of the systems to turn it around. Bring
    them over to your way of seeing things.

You could say something like, "Yes. This baby's got a robotic tele-zoom with TTL metering that really helps me to frame
    up fast and tight on those subjects. She sure does pack a punch with the technology. Those presets give me options;
    but, for situations like this one, I flip over to my favorite setting: manual override. The computers and robots are great
    for doing things fast and repetitively, but we still need people to exercise judgement and overall control. That's why I use
    some manual settings with my pictures. It helps me to bring out some aspects like I've seen in the pictures of great
    photographers like, [list some of your favorites that might be applicable]."

This way, you have some rhetorical control over meeting people with your camera. I bet that's important for direct client
    meetings among the pros. In the outline above, the pattern would go: 1. Confirm their interest. 2. Increase wonder.
    Show that the aspects they were interested in are even more wide and varied then they might have first imagined. 3.
    Guide them to your preferred choices. Show how settings like manual controls interest you. 4. Showcase your vision.
    Illustrate how your choices affected the print, instead of the all-computer version. 5. Support your case with historical
    examples. 6. Allow them to generate their own questions and interests about photography. The more questions they
    come up with, the more they may have to acknowledge that you are guiding your way through a field more varied and
    intense than they initially supposed.

This might go over better than a witty-repartee that might accidentally backfire into an insult. Relationship with the other
    person might determine if that one is the right choice. My best buddy would get a crack back him. A client or caring
    person might need a little more gentle guidance. Just my two cents. J.

35. Similar to the Hemingway quip above: I was in an art gallery and a noted artist was selling paintings in the $1000 range. Someone said, rather tartly, "How long did it take you to do that painting?" and the artist replied "Two hours and 20 years..."

36. Okay, I've been writing a lot, but you can always skip over.

I can tell you why you don't want to insult somebody, because it happened to me when I was a fifteen year old kid. I got
    a chance to go on this big trip to Washington, D.C. with my parents. While we were there, we got a chance to tour some
    of these massive and elaborate museums that are all over the place up there. Any kind of museum you can think of,
    there's a good chance that there are one of those in D.C.

So, we're in this large and complex art museum that has all kinds of wealthy and amazing holdings, open to the public.
    While we're strolling through there, I noticed an artist copying a painting, which I think was by Vermeer. He was a
    famous artist whose amazing works, even his scraps and rejects, show all kinds of talent; his work has great historic
    value. Right there, in the museum gallery, was this painter, obviously an advanced professional, doing some copywork.
    Her painting looked almost exactly like master work on the wall, but she was not yet finished.

I took a look at her work and the works on the wall. I made some comment like, "So, that's a Vermeer," or something
    like that, hoping to hear a few words about what she had to say. I forget what her response was, but I remember she
    snapped at me, probably for interrupting her, and said something rude and dismissive. I felt defensive and embarrassed.
    Surely everyone in the gallery had heard her big brush-off. I moved on and put a couple of rooms between us.

I guess she got what she wanted, and was left alone. But, what did I remember? I remember that the first time I met a
    big time artist, painting in a museum gallery, someone who was The Real Deal, they were nasty to me. I don't even
    remember what the insult was. I just remember feeling embarrassed and guilty.

Years later, I got the chance to do the same thing. Through an amazing program at the Saint Louis Museum of Art,
    painters can pay a small fee, go through some rudimentary checks and processes, and get the chance to copy master
    works of art, right there in the galleries, in public. I took part in one of these programs, and it was one of the best
    learning experiences of my life.

So there I was, in my mid-thirties, in one of the museums trying out my skills, copying a painting made by a student of
    Rembrandt. People would walk up to me all of the time. I was a little shy about painting in public, so most of the time I
    kept my headphones in. But still, people would walk up and talk a little bit.

You know what most of them said? Good job. Actually, I think I was doing a horrible job, making all kinds of mistakes;
    but, that's part of the learning process. I made an extra effort to be confident and nice to people I've never met before.
    It worked. I got to tell people some stuff about painting and had a great time.

That artist who insulted me, years ago, she was still frowning and grumpy when I left. I think if you proceed with
    confidence, things will go better for you, and the people you interact with. Definitely worth it, to try to be bold enough to
    be nice, and not think the worst when you meet strangers who want to talk about art stuff. Just saying. J.

37. To the OP, Scott Mills,

I see that you like to photograph sports and from the info on some of the images it is clear that it took a pretty good camera to get those shots, a P&S would never have been able to get those same shots.

Take this shot for example
    http://www.photo.net/photo/7607999
    A very nice photo and it clearly took some skill on your part to get it, but it also took a good camera.

Most of your friends or family members probably don't have a camera that would come close to being able to get that shot, no matter how good of a photogrpaher they are. It can be an eye opener for some people to see what a good camera can do.

When we have frends visting they often bring a P&S, and we often take photos of the same things, my photos are almost alway way better, not so much because I am a better photographer but simply because I have a better camera and lenses.

But if you believe all of this is wrong, and in some cases it is, then take some great shots with a cheap P&S and when they tell you that you have a really good camera you can tell them that it was a cheap $100 camera, of course it is going to be a lot harder to get those great shots with a cheap P&S.

38. >> "MOST people, including non photographers, know that deep down it's not that easy. and when people say "you must have a nice camera" they are really just jealous that they can't take as nice of a picture. I have a friend that is ALWAYS saying this too just because he knows it urks me. For my own sanity, I like to stick with the viewpoint that "they're all just jealous" I find it calms me quite nicely when I get upset about this matter ;)"

Good point Peter...

39. I just answer: „...a heavy camera...“ and ask if they want try to lift my camerabag. If they do so they will love their own
    camera more than ever before. georg

40. John O'K: So, what'd you do? Tell the artist she had a really nice paint brush? ;>

41. fld

fld

I heard that remark while going through airport security in Boise. I wasn't sure just what the gurad meant, but I didn't get stopped at least!

42. Lex, I'm sure you'd have to delete everything I'd say nowadays ;->

43. That's what I tell my Community College students- Not to buy into the advertising pitch too much. 'If a more expensive camera made you a better
    photographer, BMW owners would be great drivers.' they get the point.

44. One of the reasons I love my Rollei TLR, it takes great pictures and is a joy to use, but most non camera geeks have never seen one before so they have no idea what to make of it.

45. I was watching the Olympics and a swimmer was asked about the razor suit and what he thinks about Michael Phelps wearing it. The swimmer responded something like "if you put it in the water, it won't swim by itself". Along the same lines, nice photos must come from a nice camera!

46. I heard this many time, specailly this time during my holiday in Thailand, people on teh street or public places stop's and starting telling me this is a big camera, they might thing that the camera do the good photography, I smile and keep quite, the camera never take the photographs, I think even with a small cheap camera good photos can be taken if handled by a good photographer.

All of the best

47. I think it 's the same in any field. I'm a web designer and if I give people a price they'll say "geez, I can do that myself with (fill in the blank). I say, go ahead. See how it turns out.

48. People can be really nice, and try to be pleasant, it's a nice compliment. I was in New Orleans and I got really tired of people saying how cute my dog was and wanting to pet her. The dog was getting irritated also, so the last night and many many drinks later when I guy asked me that I said sure if he didn't mind me petting his wife.

OT, I'm trying to get the pooches to "smile" with the command "Let's play BORDER PATROL!".

Did anyone watch Jet Man cross the channel? That was really cool, hey buddy, nice wing!

49. I think Ian Cox-Leigh got it about right. I never take offense. First of all, I have a 'nice,' but not great dSLR. Second, the camera and gear I now have certainly has allowed me to take much better photographs than anything I ever took with the little P&S cameras or the old 35mm SLR I had eons ago. Finally, I genuinely believe that anyone who tells you this is really trying to give you a compliment; so, smile and accept it. Much of the time, they just don't know how to properly convey their admiration for your photography, and they might actually believe that the camera makes a difference (Guess what? It does ;>) Glen Rasmussen's Rule No. 2 is applicable here (i.e., "It is all small stuff"), so don't sweat it! Cheers! Chris

50. Anytime I've got the comment about how I must have a nice camera, it's been from people complimenting my photography, and I simply took it as a compliment. Most people simply don't know what makes a good image, or the process behind it, but the vast majority can recognize a good image when they see one. (***General statement guys, I'm not inviting debate about "good images" and judgements upon them.) What I do sometimes is work into the conversation something like "Oh yeah, I used to have an old beat-up camera, then got seriously into photography, took a night school course on how to use a good SLR, then got into the camera club and entered a bunch of contests. After winning some ribbons I decided I needed an upgrade, sold some pictures which helped buy good lenses. You know how it is, once you become proficient in something like art or music or photography you want better tools and equipment to go with your skills, so I treated myself to a nice toy." It's been very effective, especially when the person has a career or hobby that they're very good at, and you compare your skill building to theirs. Simpler versions can be "Yeah, since I went through the process of practising and learning, I needed a really good one to keep up with my level."

51. I answered a post like this not too long ago. I'm not offended at all. I feel I CAN take better pictures now with my DSLR versus my old p&s. So usually when a friend or family member says this, I answer "Thank you. I'm pretty happy with it. In fact, I love it!"

52. No, it doesn't bother me. I DO have a nice camera, and am proud of it. The fact that they like my pictures justifies me buying it! Not everyone can justify buying a DSLR

53. A few years ago I was walking towards the upper pond at Wild Animal Park in San Diego with a D200 attached to a Nikon 200-400 F4 lens hanging from my right shoulder. A young couple walked by me and the guy said "nice camera". His girl friend (I think) chimed in "no stupid, that's a lens".

54. Alternatively, get a crappy camera. At $6.47, the Vivitar PN2011 is a good place to start. Or you could splash out on a Holga. When (if!) you do get good pictures, you can then boast about the crappiness of your gear.

55. I don't think I have ever gotten that comment on my photography, but I get that comment all the time when people see me taking pictures. A lot of people get all nostalgic when they see me using my OM-1n, apprently a lot of people used to own an Oly SLR back in the day...or at least everyone who ever did likes commenting on my camera and how nice it is to see someone using one still.

56. I also agree with Ian. This is just not worthy of getting upset about. That being said, I do make a distinction
    between someone walking up to me and making a comment about my gear when I am out shooting and someone looking at
    a print and making a similar comment. In the first instance I often hear comments or questions regarding how
    nice the resulting pictures must be and inquiries about whether I am a pro. Apparent to some people DSLR = pro
    shooter. I cannot image anyone being bothered by this type of situation.

The other slightly irksome reaction comes from people who look at an image and ascribe its quality to the camera
    rather than a combination of the photographer's skill AND the gear. IMO those people do not intend offense but
    neither have they thought through the comment before making it.

I took some photos of a friends children. He showed the images to his ex-wife and she said
    " Wow! he must have a nice camera ". I told him to tell his ex-wife I like her kids, she must have a nice womb.

57. "Usually they think that you are a pro if you have a fancy camera with all the do-dads."

"I frequently use Mamiya TLRs (C3,C220, C330), which usually elicit a comment along the lines of, "What in God's
    Name is that !?""

The funny thing in my case, when I took a speed graphic a Mamiya TLR or Universal to a car show or railroad
    museum. People took me for the professional!
    I guess they thought that only pros would use that type of camera these days.

58. I think it's funny. They think my Rebel XTi takes good photos.... just wait till they see a 1Ds MK 3!

59. I had that comment once by a pretty, young lady who wanted to see the photos on the camera's screen as she reached out to grab my camera. Then I saw a guy watching us from behind a tree. I don't know if it was a scam, but something felt very wrong about the situation, so I said that I had to go, and I rolled away. Ah, the joys of living in southern CA!

60. "I took some photos of a friends children. He showed the images to his ex-wife and she said " Wow! he must have a nice camera ". I told him to tell his ex-wife I like her kids, she must have a nice womb."

Gordon, I almost spit out my drink! LOL

61. Brad, I bet those two wanted to steal your camera.

62. An anecdote from themusical world:
    Admirer to Isaac Stern: "My, that Stradivarius sounds so beautiful."
    Isaac Stern to admirer: "Yes, and isn't it nice that someone is playing it, too?"

63. Similar statement.....
    "You're soooooo talented !"
    Yeah, like 40 years of experience count for nothing, some higher power just imbued me with "talent'.

Bill P.

64. Always remember its not the price or model of the camera that makes you good.. its your eye and talent and the
    camera is only a tool to capture the image. Dont be a gear head!
    Be a photographer!
    SonikSid

65. "Wow, you have a really nice camera"! What are you filming? (Taking picturs with an Hasselblad 500c/m)
    I gently tell them that I'm taking pictures.Response: "Great, can I see them now?" "I say no becuase I'm shooting film". Response: "Oh, so you are filming?" Getting a bit more irritated. "No, I'm taking pictures with a film based camera. Analog. Oh, great, but why are you doing that?

Normaly I tend to leave or get very occupied at this moment and only go away. The peoples that ask me this are normaly under the age of 25, so I can understand. It feels a bit like when my yonger sister asked me what those black round things were, when she helped me move once. It was my LPs....

Alain

66. I take these comments as what they are: genuine curiosity. They sometimes work on your advantage, as useful
    icebreakers. And it's happened to me a lot with either my Leicas or my Nikons. For instance, checking in an airplane to
    go to Germany, the airline security guy looked at my Leicas and asked "Are you a professional?"

I chuckled and replied "I wish..., but then, if I were, I wouldn't like taking pictures that much."

He smiled and waived me in, no further search.

Also, in CR, carrying my F100 and a nice 80-200, a lady asked "When do I get to see my photo in the paper? Aren't you
    with `La Nacion'?"

"No," I said, "I'm on my own, for my own collection."

"Hmm... you kinda look professional, so I thought"

In the end, I offered her a print for the next time I go to CR. It'll take some time, but I hope to see her again.

Never has it ever crossed my mind to throw back an Irving Penn kind of reply. I know how to pick my battles.

67. no one ever says that to me:( I have a Nikon coolpix s10 point and shoot.

However, after I show them some of the chosen few photos that did work out OK, then they see my camera they are somewhat surprised...

no point in telling them how many shots I had to take, and the time and patience that went into getting those pictures.

68. I just have two add my two cents... I recently went to a childhood-friend's wedding (a very small event). They didn't have a photographer. So I show up with two cameras around my neck; and I'm the only person who's obviously putting some thought into my pictures and using the *gasp* viewfinder instead of the LCD screen.

Here's where it gets funny... I had several people ask if I was a professional wedding photographer.

I said "no, I'm just an amatuer..."

They reply "nice cameras". (I use a Sony H5 and a Minolta X-700.)

So then I point out the X-700 is manual focus, and I take my 'good' pictures on film.
    That's when they give me confused looks!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

69. it

it

I have a nice Stratocaster too. It actually plays itself!
    <p>
    http://iantaylor.ca/the_9ths.mp3

70. As others have said, I think it depends on the situation.

If I can see it's more of an inquisitiveness about the camera, that's fine. I once had an acquaintance compliment me on my
    photos. A friend of mine responded with, "Yeah, but you should see her camera..". I have to admit that got to me.

Gear does matter, but it's not everything! (I take about half my pictures on a p&s, the other half with a KM 7d.)

71. Not so much you have a nice camera thing (it has happened) but I quite often get "Can we see them now?" -- which on an EOS 3 doesn't work too well (it's a 35mm film SLR) and also because I am loathed to using flash on anything at parties/late night celebrations I'm most likely using a high speed black and white film like Delta 3200 and Neopan 1600. The amount of people who are still posing after I have taken the picture and moved the camera from my eyes is amusing :) "Have you taken it yet?" "Yeah just did" "Oh, but what about the flash" "There is no flash. Fast film and fast lens" (in simple terms) "Oh. *confused look*" :)

There again I was out with my Mamiya C330 TLR the other week and a kid with his mum came down the path and over the gate where I was admiring the view, he said "Wow cool camera!" - I suppose most people don't see TLRs at all these days with compact digitals and SLRs being the most common thing to see :)

72. No, it doesn't bug me neither flatters me.To have a nice camera...well it depends who says this.Photographers will give this compliment for a REAL exquisite one that helps a lot for making great photos.Ignorant people will just be impressed by name, dimensions and big lenses.At some point they are right.So, if your photos are popular among your beloved persons share their joy and blink an eye to your camera.You both deserve it.Cheers

73. If I am out shooting and someone compliments my gear I just take it in stride and say thanks. If its a pretty girl I usually offer my portrait services.

Who cares?

A camera is just a tool and there are specific tools for each job. I cant take a photo without my camera, whichever one it happens to be, and my camera cant operate without me.

74. We could all try being humble and polite-"Thanks, it is a nice camera and i put in a lot of time and research before i bought it". Then we could patiently explain to them that we also put in a lot of time and research studying the art of photography and that is why they responded so favourably to the picture. Perhaps we could even encourage them to investigate photography for themselves so they too could enjoy the magic we do. We need to realise that when they comment on our "nice camera" they are really saying "Hey, great shot". Instead of abruptly shutting them out with a curt response, why don't we invite them in?

75. Usually when someone says that to me, I respond with "Thank you, I like to play". I remember that line and the look on
    Garth's face (in Wayne's World- movie after he was caught jamming out on the drums in the music store) and it was kind of
    a humble yet proud and almost embarrassed look on his face. That would pretty much sum up how I feel. Humble because
    it is a talent as well as a learning process, proud of myself that I can do it, yet embarrassed that someone picked me out of
    the crowd. My husband has gone on to show people all the "cool" features of the camera (and how "easy" it is to use, he
    only uses "AUTO", lol) and I bet at least one person has gone out and purchased a camera after his sales pitch.

When I started getting more than what I would call "standard compliments" from people on my photos, that prompted me to
    WANT to learn more about photography, realizing that other people were seeing more than I was in my photos. Growing up
    my parents had larger cameras (Minolta, etc), and developed their own photos so to me it seemed natural that I would be
    interested in photography, and I didn't know anything other than the larger size cameras. My first camera was a P&S that I
    got for my birthday one year. The very first photo I took with it was actually just by chance, my son stood up in his crib for
    the first time. I had just loaded it and turned it on and looked up and there is was, a perfect shot! It was then I knew I
    wanted to learn more about photography, but was always frustrated that I was wasting my money developing photos I didn't
    like. Then after getting married we got our DSLR Nikon and the rest is history...

I would say that I think people are intimiated by people with larger cameras. When we see larger cameras, we
    think "professional", JCPenney, Sears, Olan Mills, paparazzi, newspaper, etc. Somebody "important".

People have struck up conversations with me about my camera, asking me if they were going to be in the newspaper or
    who I was taking photos for (newspaper, etc). I have often asked people if they want me to take a picture with their camera
    so their "photographer" can be in the photo too. Sometimes if they think my camera is that much better than theirs, I will
    take a few photos with mine and offer to email them to them. Of course the ones I take with my camera are SO much better
    than theirs... at least they think so. At that point, I just smile, bid them good day and walk away :)

76. Hey,J.O'K.O....I won't be deleting your stuff...I may not agree with everything you say-e.g. if you were a pagan Canonite or something ghastly like that...but if I was to comment on your "nice camera" and you engaged me in friendly conversation and even inspired me to try new things with my photography wouldn't that be a great result for both of us? Maybe our grave new world considers mentoring to be old hat and un-PC. The behaviour of that "artist" to you as a teenager was reprehensible and told us more about her own problems and her inability to answer a simple kid's question. So you continue to put in your two cents worth- I look forward to it. Oh,and I notice you appear to be a bit of a loose cannon....I like that, I just hope you're not a pagan Canonite.

77. Say it's a manhood substitute just like my Porsche.

78. Interesting, and instructive, as this sort of thing just happened to me. I had to present at my firm's conference in Hungary a couple of
    weeks ago. As I'd never been to Budapest (and a wonderful city to shot btw), I brought my camera and favorite travel lens
    (a 5D with a 24-70L). When I started snapping shots on the first night, one after another they came up to me saying "wow,
    that's a real camera" or "are you also a professional photographer" or "you must take nice pictures".

The funny thing is that I didn't bring a flash, and because lighting conditions were abysmal, I had to go long exposures (but I
    also didn't have a tripod) or switch to fast ISO. Anyone here should know the outcome - a lot of good shots only because I
    have some experience, but also many poor shots.

I posted the better shots online for everyone to see, apologising that I hadn't had time to edit them but that if anyone wanted
    a print of a shot, that I would clean it up. To you lot, these photos would need a bit of cleaning up. Here's the instructive bit:
    100% of the responses I got were of the "Wow, thank you very much, I really enjoyed seeing them."

Most people have no idea what a technically good photo looks like. It's worth remembering that sometimes. Not all our shots
    need to be gallery-quality, even as we strive for that :)

79. I just had this conversation with some of my music colleagues. When someone hears me play my violin, they'll often say "Wow, that's a great violin"......not acknowledging that it actually may be me making the violin sound good. :) And another similar experience is with regard to cooking. I love to cook, and I'm often told "That's a great recipe". Well, maybe it is, but I deserve some of the credit too. I'm rather new to dslr photography, so I haven't experienced any such situations in photography, but I'm sure I will sooner or later. Just grin and bear it. People mean well, or are ignorant, or don't know how to give a proper compliment. or they're just clueless. It's not worth worrying over. Find the people who CAN stroke you (like this PN community), and let us appreciate you!

80. Just reply: "Your mouth makes really nice comments".