Wow, lots of shutter lag on Leica R7. Any other users?

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by vick_ko, Dec 26, 2010.

1. I'm shooting this holiday with a Leica R6.2 and R7. I haven't directly compared these two before, but I find that the R7 has a lot of shutter lag.
    I never realized this; do others find it really bad on the R7?
    Vick

2. Sorry, Vicko, can't agree with you there. Have 2 R7s and an R6.2 - I've never noticed that the 7s are any slower - so, definitely not bad.

3. Vick: I wonder if your impression of shutter lag has to do with the need to push the shutter button down past the "hard stop" that activates the meter. This (semi) hard stop does, at least for me, seem to get in the way of releasing at the intended instant.

4. Vick: I wonder if your impression of shutter lag has to do with the need to push the shutter button down past the "hard stop" that activates the meter. This (semi) hard stop does, at least for me, seem to get in the way of releasing at the intended instant.

5. Yeah, Rob, maybe that's it. The shutter release does seem to need a long travel, compared to the R6.2
    Vick

6. The first detent point at which the meter is switched on and the second point at which the shutter trips are different on my R5, R6 and R7 (also M4, M6 and M6TTL) . In a few instances the shutter travel is unacceptably frustrating. The only solution for me is to use soft release buttons. The downside is that, in a bag, a soft release on some cameras can easily activate the meter and drain the batteries.The only default Leica shutter releases that suit me are the SL and SL2, although these also really benefit from a soft release button.
    The cheapest alternative to the rip-off photographic soft releases is a chrome domed mirror screw cap (as found in hardware stores), but they do not fit all cameras: however, they normally only cost a few pennies each and can work just as well as ones with a name on the top..

7. That, in large part, is why i sold my R7.
    I actually returned mine to KEH for inspection/repair, because i thought it was a problem. They improved it, but only by such an insignificant, barely perceptible degree that i just couldn't live with it. It felt 'sluggish' — but i was told it was "normal" and "within spec" for that camera. More than just "shutter lag," you could really feel the thing, conspicuously, tripping the mirror and going through the whole process. It just felt not very responsive, like no other camera i'd experienced. I don't remember that feeling with the R5 i tried in the store, the camera that led me to the R7. And i didn't have that feeling with the R8 i owned for a while, before the R7.
    Thanks for this thread. I thought i was crazy. [Crazier.]