Wouldn't This Be About The Best Filter Holder??

scott_fleming1

I've read nearly everything on this site having to do with filters.

I've gone to all the sites: Lee - Cokin - Singh-Rey and others.

What would be wrong with just using Toyo's compendium/filter holder?

As can be viewed on the page shown below. Other than price of

course but it's flip up and out of the way configuration as well as

it's very good shading properties would seem to make it worth it???

Wide angle would probably be a problem but they all are aren't

they? I'm not all that jazzed by the design of Lee or Cokin's (same

I guess) clip on the lense itself deal. Just seems flimsy to me.

What are your thoughts.

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Accessories/45AIIac.html

Scott,

I don't know anything about the Toyo holder but following the link you provided, it mentions a holder for gel filters. I didn't see mention of say, slots for resin filters or an adapter ring for glass filters. If you haven't used gels before, you may want to go check them out at a local camera store to see if it's something that will work for you. I found that they don't work well for me in the field - too much chance of getting wrinkled. Your mileage may vary.

It's probably best to start with what Paul asked, which is: what do you use today? Think about why you use it that way. Then, see how well the Toyo hood supports that reasoning.

Scott,

I see two potential drawbacks, at least based on the way that I work. The first is that the holder may only accept one filter at a time. I occasionally use two filters. I also have begun using a 4x4" polarizer, which of course means that the holder has to rotate. Now that I think of it, I also have rotated my slit neutral density filters to be more parallel to the distant horizon.

As I said, it depnds on how you work in the field.

Bruce

I've got a similar set up from Calumet. I needed to make some modifications to the camera (Wista 8X10" Field) in order to make it work. It's fine for most lenses, but not all. The thing is big (and heavy) but still not big enough for a 250mm WF Ektar. So once again, I have yet to find a system that works with all my lenses.

If you want to buy a used one cheap Scott, email me...

105mm Heliopan Rotating Filter Holder accepts any combination of gel,

acrylic or glass 4x4 as well as 105 screw-ins. Closes and stays closed with a

strong magnetic latch. Filters just stack - no slots - springs hold filters flat and

in place. Threaded on both ends.

Also available in 77mm for 3x3 filters.

Scott, the Toyo compendium filter holder that I use has a screw and a flip-up bracket arrangement that requires a properly threaded hole on the top of the front lensboard holder in order to mount it on the camera. It is designed to be used with specific Toyo cameras. It would require a lot of modification to use it on other cameras. Arca Swiss also makes a similar shade for their cameras. The only universal bellows-type shade that I am aware of is the one made by Lee. There probably are others. Now, if you have a Toyo 45 A field camera, the compendium bellows-type hood is a handy-dandy accessory to have. I use screw-in glass filters, so my compendium functions only as a lens hood. It's really practical for wide angle lenses.

Scott,

I notice, as I shoot this Ebony more, that I want the least amount

of BS attached to the camera. I'd classifying this giant thing as

HighBS.

I have a toploading bag that I keep the camera in. Since it's a

nonfolder, it's stays upright and ready to go. If I had that thing, it

would be one more thing to mess with when I set up.

I am considering taking all my lenses, with step up rings, to

77mm, and then using glass filters. But then yesterday I bought

the 72, which uses giant filters, so that plan is bust. (Unless I

rear mount those).

You may not have this camera, but my point is to alert you to all

the stuff you ALREADY have to carry around; and then you go and

add some giant thing like that, plus now the filters, and to me,

you'd be overwhelmed, (as I would be).

Right now, I'm between the Lee system, which I use now on

Hasselblad (GREAT system, with 4" stiff gel filters), or, the glass

screwins. The good thing about the glass is that you can clean

them in the car if it's raining or they get dropped. The gel filters

are more fragile, thus you've gotta carry backups. (More stuff).

For shading and flare, once the filter is mounted, you've always

got your spare hand to block the sun.

My approach: Keep it Simple.

After further reflection on this matter, I've concluded that maybe

you might want to use this thing after all, (in case you're out

shooting, and an automotive TV crew wants to shoot you while

you're at work). If you had that giant thing sticking out in front of

the lens, it would make you appear more intellectual, poetic, and

free from life's demands.

Mark, my father was a wise man. He always said: "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it". The Toyo compendium lens hood is not THAT bulky and heavy. It collapses quite flat, and easily fits into my pack. I've used a lot of lenshoods over the past fifty-five years, and I have never found one that works better. My experiences with gel and resin filters have all been less than pleasant. So, I now only use glass screw-in filters. Screw-on type lens hoods in plastic, rubber, or metal either vignette with wide angle lenses, or are are so wide that they don't work with effectively with "normal" lenses. The Toyo hood seems to have solved that problem for me.

Hi Scott,

I've used many different setups and all have their good points and bad.

Obviously you have to think in terms of a system. My Nikon F4 lens setup is 20/2.8 (62mm thread), 35-70/2.8 (62mm), 80-200/2.8 (77mm).

In the end, for the two zooms, I settled on screw on filters with Nikon bayonet hoods for my most commonly used filters; 81B and CP.

The solid hood prevents dust and rain from getting on the lens when I'm shooting outdoors.

I now have dedicated filters for each lens, buying used them on ebay. This fits my shooting style; working out of my bag on the street and quickly swapping lens almost without looking. I don't want to lose the shot while I'm swapping filters!

Two hours after sunset the 81B goes on both lens. At midday the CP goes on both lens. Once mounted, I stop thinking about filters and put my mind on composition mostly.

At this point, I only use the 20mm occassionally and use the 62mm filter from the 35-70 and shield the lens from flare with my hat. I expect to use this lens more and more though, so eventually, I may go to a dedicated set of filters on this also. I don't think that autofocus is so important at 20mm, so it is manual and I could get a linear polarizer which is cheaper.

I have a Cokin P with hood that screws into these lens if I need to the Singh ND graduated filter. Obviously, this takes more time to setup but I find I use it on landscapes most often anyway, and they don't move so much.

I tried Cokin P for quite a while for all filters but the hood is too big to leave attached and dust and rain can get in.

I also have a Hasselblad 500c/m with 80/2.8, 150/4 and 250/5.6, which I use for portraits (indoor and outdoor).

I have a Sailwind bellows-style hood with 3X3 slots which I love, but you need a lot of time to use this. It looks cool and provides ideal protection from flare and dust when extended to the focal length of the lens.

I use bayonet Softar filters and a B50 bayonet step-up ring for the hood. There is plenty of time for portraits, so this works well.

I am going to try the Hassy for street shooting using preset focus zones and higher speed film with the waist level finder. In this case I will use the cokin P setup with the 62mm 81B and CP.

I want to use the bellows hood for landscapes and would like to modify one of the slots on the hood to handle the Cokin P Singh grad but don't have a good design yet. Why doesn't anyone make a hood that accepts both Cokin P and 3X3?

So, there are cheaper ways to go but this does provide high image quality with minimal hassle.

Mike

Jeez, some of these you guys are a bit uptight. ;-)

For my way of working I carry a Lee lens hood and lee filters. The filters are carried in a Lee filter wallet which is compact and provides excellent protection.

I have adapter rings for each of my lenses. For me, nothing could be easier for faster. Screw on a ring and attach the shade. Inert a filter or two and make the image.

My good friend Mark Tucker is right. Too much BS stuff and you loose sight of the task. Simplify and you will enjoy shooting and making images.

I shoot an 11x14 B&J, A 4x5 Arca, a 4x5 Ebony, a Mamiya 6, a Hassy 903 SWC, and a Rollei 6008 system. I use the same Lee hood and filters for all except the Mamiya 6.

Different strokes for different folks. Fing out what works for you and have fun.

Mike

"105mm Heliopan Rotating Filter Holder accepts any combination of gel, acrylic or glass 4x4 as well as 105 screw-ins. Closes and stays closed with a strong magnetic latch. Filters just stack - no slots - springs hold filters flat and in place. Threaded on both ends.

Also available in 77mm for 3x3 filters."

where can you see these?

... you have, once again, provided excellent information. This is obviously an aspect of the craft that causes much experimentation and discussion. One could waste a couple grand sorting through this whole mess by trial and error it seems. I'll be studying this thread repeatedly.

Yes. Bob where can we see the Heliopan system ?? Where can we order brochures if web perusal is not possible?

Scott has been bashed to no end on this PN list. I'm shocked he

has the courage to post anything any more. (I will say that I was

leading the pack in bashing him sometimes, and I think he

deserved it. But he's coming around, I'd say. He's not all bad).

Scott, as for the Heliopan, do a B&H search for "Heliopan" before

you get too excited. The glass filters are like $250 apiece, even at

B&H. Just a little warning.

I'd advise some simple step up rings, to get all your lenses to

the same filter size. Leave the stepup rings permanently

attached, so all you have to do is find the glass filter that you

need. You'll also have to buy new lens caps too, once you

commit to the step up rings.

If you do that, start with your widest lens and come up with a size

that does not vignette; the ultra wides is where you'll see a

problme first. Then, arrive at a size, and then adapt step ups to

the rest of thefilters. I'd say 77 or 82 would be a good solution.

Just my opinion. It's obviously quite a personal choice.