Would love to own, but NO WAY I could own this extremely important camera (Ansel Adam's Arca-Swiss)

dennisgg

<p>About 30 years ago I went to a sale of a defunct photo school somewhere around Millerton, NY (also home of Aperture press) at which a number of interesting items were going fairly cheaply, among them several very big enlargers, one of which was touted as having been Ansel Adams's first enlarger. I was sorely tempted but owing to some domestic issues involving the bringing home of a big enlarger, even for 80 bucks, I let it slide. Of course I cannot also know whether the thing had ever belonged to Adams, but it's possible, and it was kind of a cool idea. I never needed to blow up a 4x5 negative, but I'd buy it now anyway.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I believe that Mr. Adams would be the first to be amused at such collector nonsense. Better to buy one of his images than his camera, as the image has artistic value. The camera may be worth a few times more and perhaps up to five times its original selling price as a historical artifact for a museum, but beyond that is crazy. It does nothing when not in his hands. If in his lifetime he were to find another camera of better performance or more conducive to his approach he would have likely dropped this one in a snap. And he may well have. One should read his book The Camera to understand the utilitarian nature of equipment as he saw it. </p>

<p>James, you can buy the same camera (or close model) as that for a lot less. I saw one on eBay <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300936626362?lpid=82&chn=ps">here</a> asking $1300. And you can get a new Arca-Swiss with a film or digital back, I think they are 200 megapixel backs. <a href="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ARCA.pdf">LINK</a></p>

<p>Here is a video on the Arca-Swiss. <a href="https://vimeo.com/24366528">link</a></p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>I had the good fortune of spending a part of the summer of 1968 in Yosemite with Ansel Adams and Lillian. I remember this camera very well and as a result of Ansel's recommendation bought one just like it. I kept in touch with Ansel until his death, but hadn't realized that Lillian had died.</p>

<p>I think that owning a camera with known provenance of belonging to Adams would be interesting, just as owning a Cartier-Bresson Leica would be nice. it would be better to be in a museum, but I don't really believe all those who poo-poo the whole idea. Like it or loath it they are legends and so their cameras are therefore not uninteresting.</p>
Robin Smith