Worth of Tech Pan 35mm long rolls?

<p>Have a friend trying to buy a long roll of Tech Pan film that has approximately 2/3 of the roll on it - about 100 feet. Has been in a refrigerator for years. He wants to make a fair offer to the guy but has no idea of its worth.<br>

I see some normal 36 exposure rolls for sale but my looking did not show the longer bulk load rolls. Anyone have an idea of the fair value these days?</p>

<p>Old film seems to have an uncertain price. TP is even more uncertain than others.</p>

<p>Since Technidol is hard to find, it isn't easy to price, for those who want continuous tone images.</p>

<p>Today 13 rolls of VP122 (and a few other things) went for $336. That is way more than I would have expected. I have bought a few rolls for about $10 each, and didn't bid on these.</p>

<p>I sold a roll of TP that I spooled in a new Kodak Snap-cap for about $4 some years ago.<br>

I thought it might go for more, but I think only got one bid. After that, I didn't try to sell more.</p>

<p>I suspect a 36 exposure roll of TP is worth between $4 and $20, and the 100 feet might be worth $100, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one sell for $40 or $250. The geometric mean is $100.<br>

I recently bought 100 feet of Panatomic-X for $40 if that helps. I have seen it go for more.<br>

. </p>

-- glen

<p>I suppose the risk of a long roll is that someone might have stored the can without properly sealing it vapor-tight with tape, and the film would be water-damaged.<br>

I got about 100 of TP for a pittance, maybe $7, at the PHSNE show some years ago. Shot one test roll.</p>

<p>I have three full rolls (150 feet) and most of a fourth roll of TP. It has been frozen since it was first purchased, in date. Technidol is not the only suitable developer for continuous tone work with TP. I recently looked at a link to an old camera magazine test of some highly regarded lenses using various films and aiming for maximum resolution. The old 5069 High Contrast Copy showed higher resolution numbers than TP, which was relatively new then. I also have some Imakelink HQ and FS film lying around. These can be coaxed to produce continuous tone work under the right lighting Conditions. </p>

<p>Yes, presumably there are other developer similar to Technidol. I suspect though, that real Technidol available would increase the value of rolls of TP. </p>

<p>I have about half a 150 foot roll, kept in my cool basement darkroom. I have wondered about stand development with an appropriate developer, but haven't tried any yet.</p>

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...