Worst lens buying experience to date!

rodeo_joe1

I've loved the 75mm focal length ever since I bought a used 75mm f/1.5 Jena Biotar (for £12 : 50p!) back in 1972 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately, the Praktina camera that it fitted gave up the ghost many years ago.

Unfortunately too, there's not a lot of choice in that focal length these days. So when I read a couple of glowing reviews of Samyang's AF 75mm f/1.8 in Sony E-mount, I pretty much jumped at it.

Sadly, and long story short; it's taken 4 attempts to get a good copy.

Two tries were with a company named after a mythical tribe of female warriors. Their discounted price was attractive.... but first lens received had bad - I mean very bad - edge and corner definition, that just didn't improve with stopping down. So it went back. 2nd sample from the female-warrior tribe had good IQ, but a faulty aperture that wouldn't close further than about f/8, accompanied by a loud clicking sound. Another return, this time for a refund.

I changed supplier with a good Black Friday deal.This lens not only showed some decentring aberrations, but also had an aperture that hesitated to reach f/16 and f/22, and gave exposure variations at those apertures. Another trip to the dispatch company!

I decided to give it one last try and opted for a replacement. Success!! Yay!

At last a sample with acceptable IQ - living up to the glowing reviews I'd read - and with an aperture mechanism that appears to be fully functional. {Looking round for some wood to touch now}

At last. A 75mm focal length to use again!

This isn't my first experience with Samyang lenses. I've already got 5 manual focus ones, and an AF 24mm f/2.8 for the Sony. So I was expecting a better 'hit rate' than one in four.

I just hope my luck holds with this latest sample!

Moral of the story: Check out all the functions of any new piece of gear within the return period. And try, try and try again.

• Like 4