AJHingel

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Art / Photography has a subjective component to it, doesn't it?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, and the photo.net crowd tends to dislike conceptual photography and post-modernism. Sherman's photos, for example, are very carefully lit, costumes are chosen and made. If the definition of "snapshot" is "quickly taken photo," then Sherman's photos are the opposite.</p>

<p>For some reason I am reminded of the phrase in the introduction to <em>Bernard Shaw on Photography</em> where he is characterized as "as good a photographer as he is a motorist, and considerably less dangerous."</p>

<p>We can dispute matters of fact, we can enjoy disputing matters of opinion. But there is no disputing matters of taste.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the photo.net crowd tends to dislike conceptual photography and post-modernism.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Absolutely, although this is more modernist in its minimalism than PM. I quite like it, but my funds are a little limited.</p>

<p>I'm guessing that for the 1%-er that bought it, the price was chump change. Probably the equivalent of that $50 that Gordon would pay for it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know the photo in question, and can't tell much from the low res web pic, but I can understand why people would be willing to pay an awful lot for an Andreas Gursky print. Maybe on the high side, but I presume there are reasons why this particular print went for so much.</p>

<p>It's good news that photography is increasingly getting recognition and commanding high prices, as it should. It's true that photos like this would probably be overlooked on web forums, but that's just a comment on the inadequacy of web forums, and possibly unfortunately lack of visual education in the general public, nothing to do with the merits of the photo.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I presume there are reasons why this particular print went for so much."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>A quote from: <br /> <a href="http://www.aristos.org/backissu/yesbutis.htm">http://www.aristos.org/backissu/yesbutis.htm</a></p>

<p>"Because it takes more than an exposé on "60 Minutes" to topple this house of cards. Too much money and prestige are invested in it for its proponents to yield without a fierce struggle. Major cultural institutions and corporate sponsors--not to mention countless "artists," dealers, collectors, curators, and critics--have their fortunes and reputations at stake."</p>