Worlds best film advance?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Tony,</p>

<p>Are we going to limit this to SLR's? If so, then my vote goes to my Nikon F3HP. The film advance is like butter. Can't think of a better way to describe it. However, the only SLR's that I have ever owned are Canon and Nikon (that limits my objectivity) so I'll give 2nd place to my Canon F1. I'm sure any of the so called "pro" bodies from the different manufacturers will have a nice wind on feel. Probably due to the materials used in building the cameras.</p>

<p>A properly working Minolta SRT is very smooth. Between the Canon F-1 and F-1n I prefer the smoothness of the F-1. The stroke is longer. The winding stroke of the F-1n is overgeared so it's shorter. Without film both are smooth. With film the F-1 feels smoother to me. The Minolta x-700's advamce is also smooth.</p>

<p>II haven't found anything yet to outdo the F3HP. However, some of the old Voigtlanders have a nice kind of clockworky feel, tight and precise, with the audible ratcheting providing a nice reminder that this is a <em>machine</em> full of little German gears and pawls and cams and levers.</p>

<p>I agree with Tony and think that the smoothest ever is the Minolta XE-series. Sometimes I like when my XE-7 has no film in it just so I can play with the film advance and hear and feel the smooth shutter sound and action. The F-1 is certainly nice, but the XE is even nicer. The XD-series is almost just as nice.</p>

<p>Minolta XE7 among Japanese cameras. Of course this camera was developed when Leica and Minolta had fruitful trade agreements and I think the Leica R series and this camera share components. My OM-1 is OK, not the greatest but perhaps a 6.5 or 7 on a scale of 10. I also have a OM-2sp that's just awful, with an odd divided cycle that feels like I'm trying to grind coffee beans and advance the film at the same time. The old Nikon F didn't feel great but by all reports were quite rugged and long lived so I guess smoothness isn't everything.</p>

<p>Oh yes. Moving away from SLR's the little wheel advance on the Oly Pen VF cameras can be very nice and is also fast. A smooth, clean design that actually works.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but my vote goes to the Minolta XE1/ Leica R3.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have an XE-1 tooand it's currently my favourite 35mm SLR.<br>

I suppose the fact that I can't comment on the film wind mechanism (without going and playing with it) means that it is good. i.e. I have no reason to think anything bad of it.<br>

I'm going off to play with it now to see what you are referring to!</p>

<p> </p>

Had f3, f4, f5 and other various brands but nothing I've owned compared with the leica m3. The m4, m6, m7, and mp

are also good, but not quite. I haven't had the double stroker, but I understand that it is even better than the single

stroker. The old Leitz craftsman rated the d.s. M3 as the peak of all the m's.

• Like 1

<p>Very interesting replies, and I must admit I was thinking of SLR's when I posed the question, however all must be considered!<br>

Which brings in the Leicas, and you are right about the M3, and the 111G was very sweet if my memory serves me correctly.<br>

Seems that the F3 is very highly rated, and I must admit that I had forgotten about the Topcon RE Super, so I dragged it out and must agree that it is up there, and beats the Nikon...but just....and the Minolta...juries still out.</p>