Worlds best film advance?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by tony_lockerbie, Oct 6, 2009.

1. I'm not going to say it's the world's best, - only that I hated it when I first saw it but grew to like it a lot, and that's the film advance on the Olympus 35RC rangefinder.

They wanted to make the camera small so it's not on top where you'd traditionally find it, but on the back (though near the top). Just a tab that's easy for your thumb to find and it has a relatively short throw so it's quick and sure.

Olympus was not afraid to break from tradition and made something that was both very functional and still managed to save space.

2. For my personal choice, nothing beats the "feel" of a Nikon FA. For me it is like a fine Swiss watch and just makes me smile each time I advance a frame. But that's just my opinion. Interesting thread.

3. Old Voigtlander Vito types are usually silk smooth. I had a CLR that was a pleasure to wind.

4. Asahi Pentax original.
    For those of your familiar with their screw mount cameras, you know what an elegant design the advance lever is. Now add to that a buttery smooth 180 stroke. Nothing else like it.

5. Nikon FE ties with my Canon EF 'Black Beauty'.