Workplace portraits (kind of).

Some of the excellent people shots here in the last few months have

got me going on a project the last month or so. I really like photos

of folks in their "natural surroundings", but I'm not really good at

initiating photo sessions with strangers. I've actually done quite a

bit of it, but I have to really work at getting into the groove, so to

speak, of getting close to an unknown person with the intent of taking

a decent shot. Kind of the opposite of the grab shot. So here are a

few from the "groove" (a settled routine).

This first on is Bruce. Bruce is a jeweler. He makes some of his own

stuff, and does a lot of jewelry repair. Here he weighs out some kind

of gem stones.<div>00CU7B-24028484.jpg.ea9c7e7b0a97d9e4fabb9c40d03cf7b4.jpg</div>

Dennis is a chainsaw wood carver. He makes statues of all kinds of dogs. An interesting fellow. He once sold ten thousand wooden dogs on QVC (a shopping channel). He told me the first 1500 sold out in 43 seconds. Talk about having your work cut out for ya!<div>00CU7P-24028684.jpg.d583944535f33891e1903599888e5086.jpg</div>

Thanks so much for the kind remarks, folks.

I've got quite a few of these, really, but I need to stick with it for an extended length of time to get consistant. The hardest part for me is going back for a re-shoot. I need to do that for the shot of Francis. Low shutter speeds and an animated subject make for a less than crisp photo. Some folks take to it better than others too. Many want to stand up straight and smile into the lens. Not always what I'm after. Very satisfying when I snag a good one, though!

Dean, what a fantastic job. great idea indeed. please share with us how do you approach this people to pose. I assume you tell them you will post the picture on the internet, is this not a turn-off.

Only people I managed to pose for me was my family, I'm kinda shy in this regard. thanks for sharing

Thanks, Mihai.

For the shot of Orville, the watch repairman, it was easy because I know him from the church I attend. I told him I wanted to take some shots of him doing his job. He just smiled at me and said "Well, I'd better get to work, then."

The other people, I don't know. I walked into the jewelry store, told Bruce I needed a battery for my watch and when he had put the battery in, I asked if I could take his picture as he was weighing gems.

For Dennis and Francis, I stopped in their business and asked if I could just hang out while Dennis was carving wood, but he wanted to talk. I had my Yashicamat around my neck and the subject turned to photography. I asked if I could take their pictures, and they wanted to pose. I suggested that we continue with our conversation and that I'd work in a shot now and then. We talked about 15 minutes, and I got three shots.

I did tell people about the group here, and that we show each other our photos, and that if I get something good that I may share it. I do tell them they may end up in the local paper, and some of them do.

I think carrying my camera around my neck gives people the idea that I'm a photo nut. It's usually an old camera, too, and sometimes that starts a converstaion in itself. That may help.

I don't always feel at ease, either, Mihai. If there is no conversation, I don't find it easy to take a picture. People look stiff if they're not comfortable.