Working with Canon Speedlite 430EX...

tmcindc

Hello All,

I would like to know what is the best, most effective way to work with 2 430EXs.

I am looking to use these two flashes in an outdoor setting approx 100 feet

apart. I have heard about PocketWizards and such, but I would like to know

which way is most effective.

Is it 2 PocketWizards?

Using the 430s with the Canon ST-E2 transmitter?

Other, better options?

Thanks. I am only a beginner in this and I look forward to any input anyone may

have...

TMCinDC

Sam,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to confirm...if I want to use both Speedlites together, I need to get to PocketWizards, correct?

Again, I'm new so I apologize if this seems like a "basic" question.....

Thanks again...

100' outdoors is too far for the ST-E2, so Pocket Wizards are a better choice. But the flash units will only work in manual flash mode this way, so you may want to get a flash meter as well. Also the 430EX will not be all that bright at 100 feet out. You may want to consider some larger lights for this.

Eric,

I probably misspoke a little; the lights will not be nearly that far apart. In actuality, they will be closer to 25? apart. I am actually shooting a wedding for a friend?s daughter. What concerns me the most is that the couple will have the background of the setting sun while they are under a pavilion which has fluorescent lighting above. Not the best of circumstances, however, I felt that if I was able to sync two flashes, it would probably give me plenty of light to work with.

Any suggestions on your part? Again, I?m new at this, and this is not my profession. I am just trying to help out a friend. That being said, I still would like to do the best job available. That is why the original queston of the ST-E2 or PocketWizards to get the flashes to fire at the same time. I welcome any and all input?..thanks.

100 feet is a pretty long way for the 430 flash - too long IMHO.

you can't use the transmitter that far - pocketwizards are the better option.

but what are you trying to accomplish at 100 feet? are you trying to light the exterior of a building? if you need to work at 100 feet, you might want to try a monolight + power pack solution...

I have used the ST-E2 with 2-430exs at sunrise with good success. The distance to each flash was about 20 feet. You have to be very careful to make sure the IR sensors on the flashes are aimed at the ST-E2.

You don't get the distance you would with the Pocket wizards but it does work well within the limitations of the ST-E2.

Kevin, if this is for fill flash in outdoor shade, BEFORE the Sun has set, an on camera flash would probably be fine. If AFTER the sunset, you might want multiple flash units though. If you can keep the remote flash with 20 feet or so the ST-E2 is the way to go. If you have to use the Pocket Wizard, make sure you practice with manual flash exposure before the event.

Kevin:

My advice? Don't try something new at a wedding. How much time do you have to practice before the wedding itself, and what's your budget you're willing to spend on new equipment?

For my money, I would not use a pocket wizard on a Canon flash. It can be done. But I see little value in that. Most of the money you're paying for the flash is because of the features above and beyond manual mode. Using any radio remote means you'll be using the flashes on manual.

Outdoors, 25 ft away for a wedding, I wouldn't trust Canon's infrared flash system. It can work. I just wouldn't depend on it for a wedding. I'd go with a radio remote and a monolight. I'd stick with a single one, especially since you indicated this is new to you. Using two monolights is harder than one. If you're not careful, you'll have crossed shadows.

What I would do in your situation? Shoot the way you normally do. I'm assuming that the reason your friend asked you to document the wedding is because he liked your results. Go with what got you there.

The more equipment you depend on using, the higher the odds are of something going wrong. I'd keep it as simple as possible.

Eric

Eric,

You are right here on so many levels! Sometimes the simplest way is the best way. I will attempt the 430s with some PocketWizards, but only after some due diligence in learning.

Without a doubt, however, I will be looking for "Mr. Murphy and his law" to rear his ugly face at some point throughout the day.

Thanks everyone for their input...I can tell you this has been very educational.

Kevin