Workflow software for Santa portraits

sandiegojoey

<p>I have a few shopping mall Santa Claus photo shoots coming up. This is the first time I've done something like

this, I usually shoot sports.</p>

<

p>I'll be shooting with a Nikon D3 tethered to a Windows based laptop and sending the photo's to a Sony Snaplab U

P-CR10L printer for immediate sale.</p>

<p

>I've found a free software program to tether my camera to the computer, but I've yet to find a software program th

at will auto-import the images directly into the program for quick printing. I'd prefer a program that integrates a ca

mera control feature with the auto-import feature, but will make do with two separate programs if I have to. I'm co

ntemplating Adobe Lightroom and ExpressDigital Assembly. It's hard to find a comparison between the two. Co

nsidering my workflow, i.e. the need to quickly shoot photo's via the laptop, automatically import, and immediately pr

int, does anyone out there have suggestions or a better workflow for me? Joey</p>��

<p>At least one of the local santa photo operations uses Express Digitial - they display images on screens while you're waiting in line for "Santa" - they have 2 lines - similar to Disney and Mickey / Minnie in Toontown.</p>

<p>Seems to work great for them.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I haven't shoot events like the ones you are about to but I've looked into it. There are commercial software packages for event shooting that can do all you need and then some. They seem to be intergrated with payment as well and have kiosk options so that the customer can choose what print they want to buy.</p>

<p>For a less automated process I would use Camera Control Pro for the tethering part. I've found it to be stable and reliable. Shoot jpegs, small size, medium compression to keep file size down and transfer speed and image browsing speed up. Tweak the camera settings to get good looking print ready jpegs. I don't know if you will use strobes or whatever but I would make sure my exposures are spot on. I'd probably shoot manual, pre set or custom wb, have any strobes or speedlights in manual on stands and use an incident meter if light levels might change during the shoot.</p>

<p>In camera control pro you can set a folder where the images will be downloaded each time you click the shutter. There is also an option what to do when the images arrives and you want to set that to "nothing". Install Faststone imageviewer and select the folder where your files are being downloaded to. It will automatically show the new files when you shoot (maybe a second or two after exposure). To print a file hit Ctrl-P and then Enter. Camera Control Pro will work in the background so you will only see Faststone. You can work either in full screen mode or with thumbnails and easily switch between the two.</p>

<p>I assume you have though about this but for a real event I would like to have full redundancy meaning two cameras, two lenses, two laptops, two printers etc. Because if one fails during the shoot what are you going to do? Go home? Since you will be shooting you'll probably need some help with the printing and getting paid, especially if you are setup to take credit cards.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks everyone, it worked! Here's what I did. </p>

<ol>

<li>For the camera control I downloaded DIYPhotoBits.com Camera Control 4.1 for FREE, and it works great. I'm able to tether my Nikon D3 to my Dell computer running Windows Vista 64bit. I have total control of my camera's features (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, white balance)</li>

<li>I took your advice and downloaded Fastone Image Viewer for FREE and it works great too! I'm able to point the folder that Camera Control is using and it auto-imports with each release of the shutter.</li>

</ol>

<p>Everything is fully automated and controllable via my laptop. I can now set the laptop next to my Sony Snaplab and perform all camera and print functions with a single click of the shutter, and a second click to print. I'll have my lovely assistant (my daughter) handle each cash transaction and viola! <br>

My next quest is to find a way to incorporate custom borders for prints. The Snaplab has a built in feature to add custom borders but it only works when inserting memory media into it, but not when it is being used as a printer connected to a PC.<br>

Thanks to all!</p>

<p>Second the vote for Express Digital's Darkroom software. Express Digital recently released Darkroom Core Version 9.0, which includes all of the features you noted (and much, much more!). In addition to tethered capture (you can use USB or wireless, if your camera supports it) and local printing, Darkroom Core makes it very simple to add borders and templates to your images. If you decide to shoot greenscreen, Darkroom's greenscreen capability is built in to the base package. There is also a "Darkroom Pro" version, which supports networking (i.e., multiple computers for image capture, printing and sales/image viewing).</p>

<p>For a consistent workflow for cataloging things such as this. I have always used lightroom, its auto import facility is the best for the money. You can set up a preset boarder and export for printing purposes.<br>

If everything goes well you can probably knock out a 6x4 on one of those dye-sub printers within 45 seconds of the shot being taken (depending on processor and how up to date your laptop is running) Hope this helps. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...