Work trip to China; Take D300?

brian_bahn

<p>I am going to China for work for two weeks(engineering). We have two weekend trips planned to see some of the sights. I at first said no way to taking my D300, I just do not want to risk something happening to it or losing it or whatever. Going to Shanghai, Wuxi, Ghuangxo and Hong Kong.</p>

<p>I have an OM-1 and some primes I was thinking or throwing in and was all set on taking that. But the more I think about it the more I am not sure I feel like buying film, then paying to get it processed, let alone decide if I want just 4x6 processing or scanned to CD. I rarely use it so it's not second nature to me and I don't want to be holding up other folks until I get it dialed in and focused. I am fairly adept at it and while it's a wonderful little camera, let's admit, the D300(i.e. digital) is more flexible.</p>

<p>I am not looking to turn this into a film vs digital thing, I know the pros and cons there. I am looking for your opinion on whether you would take your $1500 camera on a work trip to China. (I was thinking D300, 18-55vr and 35 1.8....I have 85 1.8 and 80-200 2.8 but would leave them behind even though I wouldn't have any kind of reach but oh well)</p>

<p>FWIW, I also travel to Mexico for work ocassionaly and there is no way I take my D300 there.</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Ive both lived in, and traveled throughout Asia for work regularly over the last 10 years and usually carry around $15,000 worth of kit whether its for 2 days or 2 weeks and never had an issue. No one is going to physically take anything from you; just don't stupidly make it easy for someone to borrow permanently it while you're not looking.</p>

<p>Brian.... A D40, a light consumer zoom like your 18-55VR and your 35/1.8G makes a great alternative if you want to be more Thoreau in your shooting. Superb to ISO 800. Certainly smaller and more convenient than an OM-1 kit and twenty-plus rolls of film. And you'd have it down the road for Mexico and other trips.</p>

<p>You could buy a D40 for the price of film and processing on 20-25 rolls. :).</p>

<p>The OM-1 is going to be a huge step backward for speed and flexibility. If it gives you peace of mind, why not get a N75 or N90s on eBay for this trip? You should be able to pick up a decent replacement for around $50 with autofocus, so you won't sacrifice ease-of-use, and you'll be able to leave the D300 at home.</p>

<p>I would relish the opportunity to shoot film in China. As I understand it they are still developing film alot more than in the States. It would be easy to get quick 1 hour scans in Hong Kong before you come back home. Skip the 4x6 prints and you'll save a bundle.</p>

<p>Brian - yes yes yes to taking your D300. It will be ideal, and don't be fooled by anyone who thinks you need to buy something special for this trip.</p>

<p>My general opinion on such questions is that the only thing more stupid than losing your gear is leaving it at home and not using it out of fear. Go for it - that's what it is there for and why you got it in the first place! And in any case most of Asia is safer for petty theft than are the majority of cities in the USA, so don't be scared as the precautions you take at home will serve you just fine in China.</p>

<p>Now that my general rant is over, two practical suggestions.</p>

<p>First, take the 85 - it will be great for short tele, portraits and the kind of detail stuff you will get in Chinese streets and markets. Indeed if it were me I'd take the 35 and 85, and its the 18-55 zoom that would stay at home.</p>

<p>Second, the whole kit (85 or not) is pretty small overall. A body with a small lens on board and one or two extra two smallish lenses loose will easily and inconspicuously fit into a humble-looking satchel or small backpack. Just doing that will further reduce the risk compared to something that screams Tamrac or Lowepro or one of the other brands.</p>

<p>PS: Can't speak for the other cities but you will love Shanghai and Hong Kong. In fact I just flew back from a 6 day holiday in Hong Kong 24hrs ago. Those cities are both wonderful, exciting, friendly places with so much interesting stuff and hustle-bustle to photograph. You will love the food too, especially the dumplings in Shanghai - simply amazing!</p>

<p>Hi Brian,</p>

<p>For sure take it. Why do you own it if you don't want to use it? These kinds of trips are a golden opprtunity.<br>

If you are rightly worried about damaging your kit then make sure it is insured. I have been to plenty of rough places around the world (and none of the places you are going to in China remotely approach it) and nothing ever happened whereas the worst damage I have ever done to any kit I've had was about 100 yards from my front door in London where I trashed a D700 and a 24-70mm.<br>

Enjoy the trip!</p>

<p>Why are you so afraid going to China anyway ? If you believe you will loose your camera, you may also think you may loose your life ? I do not think this will happen. Honestly, I have been in latin america countries which are more dangerous than China and never happened anything to me or my gear. It is a communist country but that does not means they will rob you or kill you and beside, I do not think you will be alone and walking by yourself in those streets facing some dangerous as you may think. When something is going to happen, it will happen even if you are inside a church or a hospital. I would not leave my gear if I am goind to be in any of those countries. There are beatiful places in the world and China is one of those countries in which you can shoot very great pictures so I would not miss it for the world. 2 weeks ago a plumber came into my apartment and stole a gold chain with a heart shaped gold pendant that was given to my mother when she was 15 years of age and this is United States. Anything can happen anywhere and when is going to happen my friend, not one will be able to avoid it. So go for it !!</p>

<p>I should clear up I didn't mean to imply that China is crime riddled. As was mentioned it's worse here in US cities. I was more worried about just traveling with it, getting damaged during baggage handling, things like that. Yes I'm concerned about theft but no more than I am here.</p>

<p>So I'm pretty much convinced I will take it. I need to call my insurance agent to make sure it's covered and if not do what I need to to cover it.</p>

<p>Question. As for flying with it I will be taking a laptop bag as a carry on, which will be pretty full and also checking one large(er) suitcase. I will not be buying any new cases to travel with the camera so I need to decide whether I somehow pack it in the laptop bag or bury it in the middle of my clothing in the checked bag. Recommendations?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is a communist country but that does not means they will rob you or kill you and beside</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In general most Asian countries are much saver than the US, especially those developed ones. I am not entirely sure about China as economic growth may bring some stress to the society but in general China is not a violent society. For any thing the communist is a lot harsher on crimes than we do. However I am mostly concerned with the size of D300. D300 is big so it does draw attention and this may make it difficult to take candid pictures of people going about their lives. D300 is also heavy, if you plan to hike or carry it for a long period of time. Since D300 is quite pricy, you way want to check with your insurance company to see if it covers it.</p>

<p>Hi Brian<br>

I regularly travel to Asia with my D300. So as not to need to lug it around all the time, I pack it in my main checked suitcase among the clothes. I have 3 plastic food containers (with locking lids same as "lock & lock" in the US) stuffed with socks for stabilisation. One for the Body with body cap, a second for lenses with caps and a small one with accessories and my USB drive. <br>

I you check your camera make sure you are covered by your home insurance. <br>

CF cards in a CF case in my carry-on (insurance does not cover lost pictures).</p>

<p>Edmond</p>

<p>Hi Brian,</p>

<p>1) Take out "All Hazards" Insurance (sometime referred to as Inland Marine Insurance) Insurance with worldwide coverage on your camera equipment. It does not cost much and covers you anywhere for almost anything - theft, fire, drop the camera and break it, etc. The policy I have has only a few exclusions - vermin, fungus, war, and "nuclear incident". If there is a "nuclear incident", the least of my worries is my camera. <grin></p>

<p>2) Before you leave the country, register your camera and lenses with U.S. Customs. You have to take your equipment to Customs, well before you leave the country. Call ahead for an appointment; they do not register everyday. They fill out a form listing the equipment by serial number and stamp it. You get a copy. Keep it with you when you travel. When you come back the the U.S., if there is any question if you bought the camera in the U.S. or overseas, just show the form. If you camera is stolen overseas, it the form can also be used to prove ownership.<br>

Have a great trip and post some images when you return.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>FWIW, I also travel to Mexico for work ocassionaly and there is no way I take my D300 there.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I live in Mexico and I travel a lot in the country and abroad, and since I bought my D300 I never, never, travel without it. You are missing a lot if you don't bring your camera to Mexico!</p>

<p>I wouldn't put my laptop or camera equipment in my checked luggage no matter where I intended to go in the world. I carried on my D300 and lenses in a Lowepro Slingshot 200. It's handy because you can swivel it around in front to access stuff without taking it off. Plus, in congested areas it'seasy to slide it around to your side where it's easier to protect it.<br />I felt safer everywhere I went in China that I would feel in most U.S. cities. As someone else pointed out, their penalties for breaking the law are a lot harsher that in America--and I think it's even worse if the victim is a foreign visitor. As far as size is concerned, a D300 isn't going to look any larger than a D40. One piece of advice: Use a neck strap and bag that don't have "Nikon" emblazoned on them. In any number of languages "Nikon" is translated as "Steal Me."</p>

<p>I just spent almost 4 weeks in China with my D300 and four lenses to go, no problems. Make sure that you have reasonable good insurance coverage (this is good to have anywhere).<br>

As for handling, put in carry-on but be sure that your carry-on is within limits. If you plan to fly inside China then check the local restrictions; they are stricter than in Europe and far stricter than in the US. Don't bother packing clothes and such in carry-on, those are cheap to replace on location if something happens. Luggage handling is better than in the US, but it's just better to have the sensitive stuff in carry-on.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>D300 is big so it does draw attention and this may make it difficult to take candid pictures of people going about their lives.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My experience is that a D300 is no problem at all, but being a tall, pale westerner tends to attract a lot of attention in anything but the most international cities.</p>

<p>Hi Brian-I have been to all the places you mentioned and I think that you will love them all. DO..bring the D300 and lenses with you but DON'T put them in your checked luggage-bring them onto the aircraft with you<br>

P.S. "a tall, pale westerner tends to attract a lot of attention in anything but the most international cities."<br>

My first trip to China was back in 1982 and man was that ever true!</p>

<p>Have a great trip! regards, cb :-)</p>

<p>Would you leave your D300 home if you were going into New York City or London or Rome? I don't think China, or Mexico, is any more dangerous as long as you use common sense as described in other posts. A camera is a tool and is meant to be used, not a piece of jewelry only to be taken out on special occasions. To me, the bigger question is whether you want to lug an SLR at all at times when the focus is on playing tourist and traveling with friends/family rather than on photography. If you're only going to have time for snapshots anyhow, it can be easier to carrier a pocket-size P&S.</p>