Work trip to China; Take D300?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by brian_bahn, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I am going to China for work for two weeks(engineering). We have two weekend trips planned to see some of the sights. I at first said no way to taking my D300, I just do not want to risk something happening to it or losing it or whatever. Going to Shanghai, Wuxi, Ghuangxo and Hong Kong.
    I have an OM-1 and some primes I was thinking or throwing in and was all set on taking that. But the more I think about it the more I am not sure I feel like buying film, then paying to get it processed, let alone decide if I want just 4x6 processing or scanned to CD. I rarely use it so it's not second nature to me and I don't want to be holding up other folks until I get it dialed in and focused. I am fairly adept at it and while it's a wonderful little camera, let's admit, the D300(i.e. digital) is more flexible.
    I am not looking to turn this into a film vs digital thing, I know the pros and cons there. I am looking for your opinion on whether you would take your $1500 camera on a work trip to China. (I was thinking D300, 18-55vr and 35 1.8....I have 85 1.8 and 80-200 2.8 but would leave them behind even though I wouldn't have any kind of reach but oh well)
    FWIW, I also travel to Mexico for work ocassionaly and there is no way I take my D300 there.

2. Ive both lived in, and traveled throughout Asia for work regularly over the last 10 years and usually carry around $15,000 worth of kit whether its for 2 days or 2 weeks and never had an issue. No one is going to physically take anything from you; just don't stupidly make it easy for someone to borrow permanently it while you're not looking.

3. Brian.... A D40, a light consumer zoom like your 18-55VR and your 35/1.8G makes a great alternative if you want to be more Thoreau in your shooting. Superb to ISO 800. Certainly smaller and more convenient than an OM-1 kit and twenty-plus rolls of film. And you'd have it down the road for Mexico and other trips.
    You could buy a D40 for the price of film and processing on 20-25 rolls. :).

4. The OM-1 is going to be a huge step backward for speed and flexibility. If it gives you peace of mind, why not get a N75 or N90s on eBay for this trip? You should be able to pick up a decent replacement for around $50 with autofocus, so you won't sacrifice ease-of-use, and you'll be able to leave the D300 at home.
    I would relish the opportunity to shoot film in China. As I understand it they are still developing film alot more than in the States. It would be easy to get quick 1 hour scans in Hong Kong before you come back home. Skip the 4x6 prints and you'll save a bundle.

5. bmm

bmm

Brian - yes yes yes to taking your D300. It will be ideal, and don't be fooled by anyone who thinks you need to buy something special for this trip.
    My general opinion on such questions is that the only thing more stupid than losing your gear is leaving it at home and not using it out of fear. Go for it - that's what it is there for and why you got it in the first place! And in any case most of Asia is safer for petty theft than are the majority of cities in the USA, so don't be scared as the precautions you take at home will serve you just fine in China.
    Now that my general rant is over, two practical suggestions.
    First, take the 85 - it will be great for short tele, portraits and the kind of detail stuff you will get in Chinese streets and markets. Indeed if it were me I'd take the 35 and 85, and its the 18-55 zoom that would stay at home.
    Second, the whole kit (85 or not) is pretty small overall. A body with a small lens on board and one or two extra two smallish lenses loose will easily and inconspicuously fit into a humble-looking satchel or small backpack. Just doing that will further reduce the risk compared to something that screams Tamrac or Lowepro or one of the other brands.
    PS: Can't speak for the other cities but you will love Shanghai and Hong Kong. In fact I just flew back from a 6 day holiday in Hong Kong 24hrs ago. Those cities are both wonderful, exciting, friendly places with so much interesting stuff and hustle-bustle to photograph. You will love the food too, especially the dumplings in Shanghai - simply amazing!

6. Hi Brian,
    For sure take it. Why do you own it if you don't want to use it? These kinds of trips are a golden opprtunity.
    If you are rightly worried about damaging your kit then make sure it is insured. I have been to plenty of rough places around the world (and none of the places you are going to in China remotely approach it) and nothing ever happened whereas the worst damage I have ever done to any kit I've had was about 100 yards from my front door in London where I trashed a D700 and a 24-70mm.
    Enjoy the trip!

7. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The only thing more stupid than losing your gear is leaving it at home and not using it out of fear.​
    I can't possibly say it any better than Bernard did.

8. Why get a D300 unless you use it? Took my D300 to China last year at this time, shooting primarily with 18-200 Nikkor. Lugging up the Great Wall was work but since I'll probably only get to see that landmark once, it was well worth the effort.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=876661

9. Why are you so afraid going to China anyway ? If you believe you will loose your camera, you may also think you may loose your life ? I do not think this will happen. Honestly, I have been in latin america countries which are more dangerous than China and never happened anything to me or my gear. It is a communist country but that does not means they will rob you or kill you and beside, I do not think you will be alone and walking by yourself in those streets facing some dangerous as you may think. When something is going to happen, it will happen even if you are inside a church or a hospital. I would not leave my gear if I am goind to be in any of those countries. There are beatiful places in the world and China is one of those countries in which you can shoot very great pictures so I would not miss it for the world. 2 weeks ago a plumber came into my apartment and stole a gold chain with a heart shaped gold pendant that was given to my mother when she was 15 years of age and this is United States. Anything can happen anywhere and when is going to happen my friend, not one will be able to avoid it. So go for it !!

10. I should clear up I didn't mean to imply that China is crime riddled. As was mentioned it's worse here in US cities. I was more worried about just traveling with it, getting damaged during baggage handling, things like that. Yes I'm concerned about theft but no more than I am here.
    So I'm pretty much convinced I will take it. I need to call my insurance agent to make sure it's covered and if not do what I need to to cover it.
    Question. As for flying with it I will be taking a laptop bag as a carry on, which will be pretty full and also checking one large(er) suitcase. I will not be buying any new cases to travel with the camera so I need to decide whether I somehow pack it in the laptop bag or bury it in the middle of my clothing in the checked bag. Recommendations?

11. erik_christensen|3

erik_christensen|3 Self-employed

Of course take your equipment along - it is tools to be used at any location, not only in your safe backyard. I have been travelling/living in Asia for about 30 years, and it is not more risky than Europe and Africa - sorry I have no knowledge of US.

12. It is a communist country but that does not means they will rob you or kill you and beside​
    In general most Asian countries are much saver than the US, especially those developed ones. I am not entirely sure about China as economic growth may bring some stress to the society but in general China is not a violent society. For any thing the communist is a lot harsher on crimes than we do. However I am mostly concerned with the size of D300. D300 is big so it does draw attention and this may make it difficult to take candid pictures of people going about their lives. D300 is also heavy, if you plan to hike or carry it for a long period of time. Since D300 is quite pricy, you way want to check with your insurance company to see if it covers it.

13. Hi Brian
    I regularly travel to Asia with my D300. So as not to need to lug it around all the time, I pack it in my main checked suitcase among the clothes. I have 3 plastic food containers (with locking lids same as "lock & lock" in the US) stuffed with socks for stabilisation. One for the Body with body cap, a second for lenses with caps and a small one with accessories and my USB drive.
    I you check your camera make sure you are covered by your home insurance.
    CF cards in a CF case in my carry-on (insurance does not cover lost pictures).
    Edmond

14. Hi Brian,
    1) Take out "All Hazards" Insurance (sometime referred to as Inland Marine Insurance) Insurance with worldwide coverage on your camera equipment. It does not cost much and covers you anywhere for almost anything - theft, fire, drop the camera and break it, etc. The policy I have has only a few exclusions - vermin, fungus, war, and "nuclear incident". If there is a "nuclear incident", the least of my worries is my camera. <grin>
    2) Before you leave the country, register your camera and lenses with U.S. Customs. You have to take your equipment to Customs, well before you leave the country. Call ahead for an appointment; they do not register everyday. They fill out a form listing the equipment by serial number and stamp it. You get a copy. Keep it with you when you travel. When you come back the the U.S., if there is any question if you bought the camera in the U.S. or overseas, just show the form. If you camera is stolen overseas, it the form can also be used to prove ownership.
    Have a great trip and post some images when you return.

15. Brooks just made my point. Get insurance, get the D300 out and enjoy yourself.
    I have been travelling with my F100 and now D700 and never even thought about not taking my gear out. I mean, that's why I bought it in the first place.

16. FWIW, I also travel to Mexico for work ocassionaly and there is no way I take my D300 there.​
    I live in Mexico and I travel a lot in the country and abroad, and since I bought my D300 I never, never, travel without it. You are missing a lot if you don't bring your camera to Mexico!

17. If I had a chance to go to China I would bring my best camera & lenses. I would actually probably bring two cameras because there's simply no way I'm going there without my IR converted D70 as well. So - I'd have to travel with two cameras. I would just be lost without them.

18. I wouldn't put my laptop or camera equipment in my checked luggage no matter where I intended to go in the world. I carried on my D300 and lenses in a Lowepro Slingshot 200. It's handy because you can swivel it around in front to access stuff without taking it off. Plus, in congested areas it'seasy to slide it around to your side where it's easier to protect it.
    I felt safer everywhere I went in China that I would feel in most U.S. cities. As someone else pointed out, their penalties for breaking the law are a lot harsher that in America--and I think it's even worse if the victim is a foreign visitor. As far as size is concerned, a D300 isn't going to look any larger than a D40. One piece of advice: Use a neck strap and bag that don't have "Nikon" emblazoned on them. In any number of languages "Nikon" is translated as "Steal Me."

19. I just spent almost 4 weeks in China with my D300 and four lenses to go, no problems. Make sure that you have reasonable good insurance coverage (this is good to have anywhere).
    As for handling, put in carry-on but be sure that your carry-on is within limits. If you plan to fly inside China then check the local restrictions; they are stricter than in Europe and far stricter than in the US. Don't bother packing clothes and such in carry-on, those are cheap to replace on location if something happens. Luggage handling is better than in the US, but it's just better to have the sensitive stuff in carry-on.
    D300 is big so it does draw attention and this may make it difficult to take candid pictures of people going about their lives.​
    My experience is that a D300 is no problem at all, but being a tall, pale westerner tends to attract a lot of attention in anything but the most international cities.

20. Hi Brian-I have been to all the places you mentioned and I think that you will love them all. DO..bring the D300 and lenses with you but DON'T put them in your checked luggage-bring them onto the aircraft with you
    P.S. "a tall, pale westerner tends to attract a lot of attention in anything but the most international cities."
    My first trip to China was back in 1982 and man was that ever true!
    Have a great trip! regards, cb :)

21. Would you leave your D300 home if you were going into New York City or London or Rome? I don't think China, or Mexico, is any more dangerous as long as you use common sense as described in other posts. A camera is a tool and is meant to be used, not a piece of jewelry only to be taken out on special occasions. To me, the bigger question is whether you want to lug an SLR at all at times when the focus is on playing tourist and traveling with friends/family rather than on photography. If you're only going to have time for snapshots anyhow, it can be easier to carrier a pocket-size P&S.

22. "All Hazards" Insurance (sometime referred to as Inland Marine Insurance) Insurance with worldwide coverage on your camera equipment​
    Can anyone recommend a good company/policy for this type of insurance?

23. This is what a P&S is for. Perfect excuse! I'd get one for these business trips. Your odds of getting any serious photography done are slim, and the fear factor of ever having to take your eye off it simply is not worth it.

24. Whats the problem with China? There is less street crime in China than lost large western cities. I'd rather wander down a street in Beijing than in Detroit, any day.
    Nikon sells more gear in China than just about anywhere else. I would not be concerned.

25. Hi CC
    Check with your current insurance company or agent. These policies or endorsements to your renter's or homeowner's policy are usually not listed on Web Sites.

26. bmm

bmm

Hi again Brian -
    Regarding the packing, I have done both the checked luggage and hand luggage option many times and don't care either way. In fact I did one of each going to and from Hong Kong earlier in the week. For me that is where a decent 'proper' camera bag comes into its own. In my case the Lowepro Classified 160AW which is fine as a carry-on (and even quite handy in terms of passport pockets etc) and also as a padded compartment for my body and lenses when I decide to put it all in my case. But then when I'm out and about at my destination, like I said above, I just take one or two lenses and the D80 and throw them into my small satchel. So the Lowepro is very much my transit bag rather than my every-day bag. In any case don't stress too much, cameras are not as fragile as some people think they are. Take normal sensible steps and you will be just fine.
    Second, unlike Craig and Michael I don't think any DSLR short of a D3 is a hassle to lug around on such a trip, even for 'snapshots'. Especially as the glass you are going to use (unless you end up taking the 80-200) is not too bulky. You're likely to carry a litre bottle of water in your bag I'm sure, and this camera setup will be no bigger or heavier. And even if it is just 'snapshots' you are taking, I'd prefer those out of a D300 than out of some tiny-sensored thing that looks more like an electric shaver than a camera.
    Finally just to repeat my suggestion re 85mm. You will want an option which gives you portraits and a bit of 'in-close' for detailed work in markets etc, plus the low light ability will be very useful. And again, the cost in size and weight is small - 85mm primes are not big lenses. In fact, I started doing post last night on my Hong Kong images and the first two that grabbed me enough to work on are both detail shots done with an 85...
    00Ugiv-178765684.jpg

27. bmm

bmm

And the second one...
    00Ugiy-178765784.jpg

28. I recently went to Jamaica for a relaxing break. In an old style reporters bag I packed my D80 with a 28-75mmf2.8 zoom, 35mmf2.8 prime, Sb600 and 32Gb of SD card (16 x 2), 24 AAs. The charger with 3 spare batteries for the camera and my laptop went in the briefcase. Kensignton lock for the laptop also packed and lens cleaning stuff in checked luggage. I thought about taking one of my many Nikon film bodies but I realised that I didnt want to miss anything by not being able to buy more film while I was over there. We had planned to laze in the sun on the beach all day for a week with me taking fashion shots of my wife and I wanted to take as many shots as possible to learn the light there. The wife also enjoys this fortunately. Film would be lovely for many things but irrelevant for this in those terms.
    For China or Hong Kong Id would definitely throw in a cheap film camera like the F80 (ebay), 5 rolls of kodak BW400CN, say 5 rolls of Kodachrome and say 10 rolls of ISO400 colour negative film. Put the camera in the checked baggage and the film in carry on. You can bring film back if you dont use it - its loss is minor in comparison to the DSLR so dont even worry about these.
    Upon arrival it appeared our resort was very secure and the staff were trusted. When we got there i took out the laptop and chained if via kensignton lock to the bed. It was then left on all day password protected even when we were out. I never had a single thought about it. The camera gear was never out of our sight at any time except in the middle of the night.
    One can go to Jamaica again and again. The country is stable. China and Hong Kong might not always be so and they are at a very dynamic point in their country's history at the momemnt so it really is worth making the most of it especially with film which will age beautifully for your grandchildren. Ive recently restored some old agfachromes my father shot in Sarawak in 1963 and it is truly fascinating to see there then and to compare it with now.
    During the day in China id have the film camera round my neck and the digital in the reporters bag with the flashgun with a fresh set of cells. Shoot street with film all day - shoot family snaps with flash - Do family snaps at night. Leave the gear you dont take from the hotel in the morning in the safe - that way you travel light.
    Ive done Hong Kong and there are plenty of people in the streets with expensive consumer electronics about their person. Same rule applies as back home - dont over-advertise your gear.
    Sure Id worry but its too much to miss the flexibility of both media formats in your bag.
    In the end we ventured once out of the hotel for 3 hours to go to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in the next town. Now we cant wait to go back and capture the other side.
    Enjoy the trip.

29. I have a suggestion having spent 3 weeks their over the summer with a D300. It never occurred to me once in that time that I was unsafe even during the times we were away from the tour group. Bring as many 8 gig or 16 gig cards you can and set your dial to Ch (high speed 6 fps) and shoot everything and anything that looks interesting. The amount of stuff you will see is overwhelming and there is no way you could carry that much film.
    While in Shanghai grab a ride on the Maglev train just for fun. The best $15 you'll ever spend.
    Have fun and work on your Ni hao greeting. That's pretty much all the Chinese you'll need.

30. Take it take it take it, do no leave your D300 at home! You will regret it. I live in China and travel around frequently and it has never been an issue. People are friendly and crime is not a problem. It is very unlikely that anyone will even consider stealing it, leaving it in silly places is more likely to casue concern. All hotels have safes so if you want piece of mind during your working day make use of these facilities.
    Some mentioned taking as many memory cards as possible, if I were you I would buy these locally, make sure you bargain a little, more reputable shops might give you 10%. If you can go much lower than that then consider the card to be more than likely a fake. They work just as well but I had a time when the card stated 8gb and when formatted there was only 4gb of memory.
    Have fun in China if you want a nice shot of Shanghai go to The Bund and rather than go to the top of the Pearl TV tower there is a very nice cocktail bar on the tp floor of the building adjacent. Much cheaper and less tourists. I just can not remember the name of the tower.
    Zhong Guo huan yin ni!

31. Only take ur D300.. I live here in HongKong and its the most safest country in Asia. if u r buying electronics then hongkong is the place to buy...A lot of old building sites to take pics great cosmopolitan city.....Cheers..

32. I spent 2 weeks in China in August with a D90, the 12-24/f4 Tokina and the 18-200 VR Nikon zooms. Even this was a bit of a burden walking up the steep parts of the Great Wall in the stifling heat, but was an ideal combination for me wherever I went (Beijing, Xi'An, Shanghai, Suzhou). I think only the 35/1.8 would have made it perfect for low light streetwalking (I couldn't get one at the time -- still waiting).
    I've heard one should not check expensive gear when there is a chance unlocked bags are x-rayed -- the equipment may grow legs and walk. I took my gear as carryon in a backpack under the seat with no issues on Chinese domestic flights.
    I was struck by the number of Chinese tourists sporting expensive DSLRs as well as all kinds of other gear, so I never felt like I stood out. Going to lesser traveled areas you may feel more conspicuous. I carried my gear in a thinktank shoulder bag which I bought just before the trip and it was perfect. In fact you will see men commonly carrying should bags like women do in the west.
    Take the D300, you favorite couple of lenses, moisture wicking underwear (no joke), travel light and have a great trip!
    00Ugrb-178837784.JPG

33. I find my D300 too heavy - unless you drive. In Europe (France) I am on foot for the most part and the Nikon is too bulky even if you do not carry lots of glass. My favorite pictures come from Rihoh GX200 and Holga, if I am on the go. The D300 is great for shooting from a spot, like a hotel window.
    [​IMG]

34. Hi, Brian. I was an engineer in Ericsson Shanghai. And I had colleagues come from Europe. One of them actually bought a Canon 50d with my help negotiating the price. We have lots of shooters with D700, 5D, 1D3, D3, etc... on the street, shooting around. You'll see when you are actually here. So I don't think it's necessary to be afraid. It's not what you think it is here. Welcome to Shanghai, BTW.

35. Thanks for all the great responses! Very much appreciated.
    I will definitely be taking my D300 for sure now. I contacted my homeowners insurance agent yesterday and opened a personal property protection floater. Forget the exact name at this moment but it is seperate from my homeowners and will cover my equipment for just about anything for $29/year.
    I like the suggestion of registering with US Customs but since I leave next week I'm not sure I have time.
    I will definitely be taking my Lowepro Slingshot 200 and use that as a carry-on.
    Again, Thanks very much!

36. Last November my wife and I went to Jianyin (125 km. northwest of Shanghai) to teach English and environmental studies. I brought my Nikon D300 with 17-55 lens and a Panasonic LX3. I'm was glad I had the DSLR especially when I had days off to explore. You can see our China blog at http://yosemitecollection.com/blog/
    Hugh

37. I just got back from an 11 day tour of China and took my D300. Take your D300 to China and don't worry about it. Their cities are probably safer than our cities, especially for tourists.
    I also took the following lenses:
    10-24mm Nikkor
    35mm Nikkor
    18-200 Nikkor
    I used the 18-200 98% of the time. I was pleasantly surprised by its low light capabilities paired with the D300. I could have left the 35mm at home. The 10-24 was only used a few times but I could have left it also.
    I'd leave the 85mm at home. The 35 is small so I'd take it as well as the 18-55. the 18-55 will probably get the most use. The 80-200 is large I believe but may allow candid photos from a distance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. What Bernard said

39. I would strongly suggest that you take whatever photographic equipment you are most familiar with and comfortable with. Don't worry about it. Bring several backup devices-- I suppose you would have a laptop; download your CF cards into the laptop each evening, and then make a copy onto a small external hard drive. Keep the latter with you in the highly unlikely event your room gets tossed.
    I have spent much time in China in the past 10 years, I enjoy it hugely, and I cannot wait to go back. I spent a month in Beijing and a month in far rural Sichuan. You are far safer there than you are in New York or (God forbid) Chicago. You can photograph just about anything, though I would not wave intense photo equipment around Army installations. You will frequently be asked to allow your photo to be taken with local Chinese -- do so graciously, and then photograph them. They will enjoy it and so will you. Have a wonderful time, and remember -- China is the future. We are now entering the Chinese century. This is an astounding, industrious, variegated country and people. From a photographer's standpoint, it is heaven.

40. I've just come back from Shanghai. The locals lock up their cycles because theft is a real possibility, but violent crime seems not to exist at all. In fact I don't think I've ever been to such a safe city.
    Just ignore everything you hear/see/read in the western media about China. You'll love it.

41. Something Brian said way back in this thread indicated he might put his camera gear in checked baggage. DO NOT DO THAT! We got back from a fantastic China trip about a month ago. Shanghai, Chongqing, Xi'an, Beijing. We had three inter-China flights on which I carried on a netbook in a case and all my camera gear (DSLR and four lenses including a 100-400) in a small back. No problems. I locked the netbook in the room safe when we were away for the day, and carried all the camera gear on my back. At no time did I ever feel uncomfortable (except for the heat and humidity!). Yes, I did use all the lenses, and some of my best images came from the 100-400L, which I almost left at home. Had I left it at home, I would have been very, very, unhappy.

42. You should consider taking a backup body, something cheaper, for these once in a lifetime trips. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always travel with a backup camera.

43. My father and I are avid photographers. He is a Nikon user and I am a Canon user. We are both from Bangladesh, and primarily shoot in the South Asian region. And we each own over $15,000 equipment that we carry wherever we go. If you are careful and have a proper camera bag, you will fare as well in Shanghai as in Chicago. I have handled my dad's D300 a few times, and if I were you I would feel pretty inane about going to China without it and the glasses that you have described. Cheers

44. I can't possibly say it any better than Bernard did.​
    I can't possibly say it any better than Shun did.

45. About lenses, last time I went to China I had a D300 with a 20/3.5, a 35/1.4, a 35/2.8 PC and a 85/1.8. I mostly used the 35/1.4, but all of them got use depending on situation. I liked the 85/1.8 and I felt that I needed something longer so rarely that it wouldn't have been worth the effort carrying it. A zoom like the 16-85 would most likely have been handy, but I don't feel like buying one. I missed having a 24 PC, even though it's heavy, but I need to save up for it. In any case, the PC lenses are on such a trip only useful for building shots.
    It's a bit hard to recommend lenses since everyone has their own style, but in general long lenses don't seem so useful and it's good to have at least one fast lens since night comes early.

46. Why on earth would you not bring it? China is about as safe a place to bring a camera as there is - and also one of the best places to take images of a culture that has existed since forever, yet is changing as quickly as anywhere on the planet.
    I only regret that I do not foresee myself returning there in the near future, but my trip nearly a decade ago was amazing - and made more so by having my camera with me. The question I would have would be whether or not to buy a D700 for the trip, since much of the imagery would benefit from having the best possible high ISO performance I could get, with the ability to reach distant subjects of less importance. If nothing else I would probably use the trip as the excuse I've waited for to get an 85mm f/1.4 rather than my 1.8.

47. I have just resolved a similar problem and my experience might be of help.
    I traditionally shoot on a Mamiya 7 using E6 and have always been delighted with the results. Always used a tripod, hand held meter, etc.
    Recently bought a Nikon 200 and on my first serious outing only took the 200 and left the 7 at home. That was 18 months ago and I was pleased with the sharp learning curve and the results.
    Recently went to Rome for 5 days and took only the 200 and a kit lens plus 50-200, no tripod. Results were very favourable and, most important for me now, the kit did not exhaust me and I was able to enjoy my photography and the city.
    From my reading of the press on the 300 it appears to be an excellent camera from the Nikon stable and would not hesitate to advise using DSLR. However, if you think that you will have the time to use film then take the OM. Used an OM 40 many years ago and Olympus make great cameras. However, I have found that digital does have the advantage when time might be tight it is 'better' especially as you can later correct it on a pc.
    I hope to go back to Greece sometime soon and I will definately take the E6 camera because I will have a more time to create images. However, I will also take the Nikon as I also have PC lenses for architecture which I did not have using E6.
    Enjoy your trip, post the results for us all to see.

48. I don't think you should worry about taking $1500 worth of camera equipment to China ( I take $5-10k camera equipments to China every year). You just need to use your common sense, it is as safe as any other big cities in any other developed countries. . As a matter of fact, you probably will feel safer in China since there are very few foreigners there and too many curious eyes will be on you and pickpockets are a lot less likely to target at you.

49. Take everything with you and buy a PacSafe. PacSafe is an adjustable high-tensile stainless steel locking device, designed to cover and protect a variety of bags and packs from tampering, pilfering and theft. Take your camera backpack and buy a pacsafe anti-theft bag that fits over it. I recently traveled to South Africa with 3 digitals and other equipment. When I didn't want to carry them around with me I placed the backpack into the pacsafe and then locked them around something permanent like the toilet main plumbing. You can lock it around anything that can't be easily removed (metal frame etc). Worked great and is very light weight (less than 1 lb).
    http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

50. If you don't bring it you'll just regret it.
    After all, as has been remarked a few times above, what's the point if having a good camera if you can never use it.
    I've been living in China for almost 7 years and never had much problems with theft. China is quite safe, you don't have to worry too much about your expensive gear being stolen, unless perhaps you go to Shenzhen or Guangzhou. Even then, if you pay some attention to keep your gear close by there shouldn't be much to worry about.
    Regarding a previous remark on buying some stuff here. Yes, you can buy good stuff relatively cheap, but you have to know what you're doing and where you are buying. Plenty of fakes and substandard goods around.

51. Hi Brian,
    I traveled several times to China in the last few years. As many has mentioned, you might be surprised by how many D3, D700, D300's that people carry around in Shanghai and Hong Kong. My only concern is the size. For business trip like yours, I carry a E-P1 with two Leica lenses these days.
    As for Wuxi and Guangzhou/Guangxi (not sure which one that you referred to as Ghuangxo), those are where you might need to pay extra attention on all of your stuff, in addition to your camera gears. What I mean is there are more spots in these cities that are not as "tourist friendly." Use common sense to back out as soon as you find yourself in one of those spots.
    To demonstrated the point ... I was in Prague, Czech Republic last month with my small camera bag with me all the time. As soon as I jumped on a not so packed subway train, I found myself being "surrounded" by a group of 6 people (they did not look like locals). They created an unnecessarily crowded environment just around me. The rest of the compartment was not crowded at all. I was even separated from my wife by this group of people. After 10 seconds, my instinct told me to get out of that situation immediately by saying "excuse me" very loudly in order to move on. That group of 6 said something back in a language that I did not understand. Then, they got off the train in the next stop. Later, a local friend of mine told me that this is how local pick pockets are done, they pass on their "capture" from one to another quickly. Even if you feel one of them take thing from you, it may probably be too lately to catch them red handed.
    Anyway, wish you enjoy China and your D300 there.
    John

52. "It is a communist country but that does not means they will rob you or kill you"
    A number of years ago I recall the Premier of one the communist country coming to Washington D.C. and making a public speech. That's exactly what he said he was going to do to us.

53. >the more I think about it the more I am not sure I feel like buying film, then paying to get it processed, let alone decide if I want just 4x6 processing or scanned to CD<
    Finally! I understand what it is I like about digital cameras. ;-)