Work permit for Canadaian to shoot in US

serge_k

<p>I've got an inquiry for a destination wedding in US. My question is about obtaining a work permit/visa in USA. I'm Canadian citizen. I know there are a lot of photographers who shoot outside of the Canada. Do you need to get a permit for every wedding?<br /> Thanks in advance for any input/advise.</p>

<p>Since all variants of work permit Visas are issued for a US company and considering you do not have a US subsidiary, you probably won't need (or get) a work Visa. Instead you would need to go on a B1 Visa (business purposes). It's important to expressly mention this at the US consulate when you go for the Visa interview/stamping, and they will issue you a multiple-entry B1B2 Visa.</p>

<p>I live in the US and did some photography in Canada a number of years ago without "permission". Well, they almost didn't let me cross the border with my equipment and they completely went through my car and every piece of equipment on the way back.<br>

The lesson learned here was either do your homework and do things properly or have them hire someone in the country they reside in. There's plenty of work where you live and traveling to shoot may appear glamorous, but it's usually not that profitable and very difficult to deal with clients afterwards....-TED :-) </p>

<p>It's such a pain. I travel to the US 15 - 20 times a year for my corporate photo clients (legit), but I usually turn down weddings under my own banner.</p>

<p>I've heard there's a gray area, if you're getting paid by a Canadian in Canada, but shooting the wedding in the US. Would I test this? Probably not. I know of a few photographers (susan stripling and cliff mautner to name 2) that have been held up for a long time in customs going one way or the other over the border - and 2 that have been turned away completely.</p>

<p>My illegal black/gray-hat advice would be to bring a body, and 2 lenses, and rent anything else you need down there. We had to do this in China once (someone applied for tourist visas for us by accident, and it was too late to change it) -- they will question you if you're alone and heading to a random city in the states. If it's something touristy, and you're with a wife/gf/friend maybe they won't? All in all...probably not worth it. Getting black listed from the country would be much worse than not making $3000-10000 off of a commission</p>

I have travelled many times from Canada to the US for vacation and always have two bodies,multiple lenses,flashes,tripod etc.Only once have I been challenged and this was when I drove across alone and had to deal with a real A hole (very unprofessional unlike most of her coworkers).Who was concerned that I might sell my gear in the States but was eventually let thru after a long grilling.I would advise any professsional photog even travelling on vacation with cameras,carrying anything eg: business cards etc. identifing you as such.If you need that stuff mail it ahead.