Wording for Gift Vouchers

hdp

Hello everyone

I was wondering if you could help me pretty please. At a recent MPA Yervant

mentioned that they offered gift vouchers/certificates so guests can

contribute to a couple's wedding photography or album.

The bride and groom would like to include a card with their wedding

invitations saying that gift vouchers were available. Does anyone have an

example of what wording I could use for this?

Also does anyone else offer gift vouchers and have you ever had any problems

or is there anything I should watch out for?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks photo.net-ers! :-)

Wow ... I was always taught that including any reference to gifts in an invitation is really tacky. I'd prefer to give them a supply of business cards that they can share with anyone who asks them what they'd like, and to give them to parents or others who guests might call to find out what the couple would like/where they are registered, etc.

But it's not your place to give them an etiquette lecture, so if they insist, I'd stick with something simple, like "We would also appreciate gift vouchers to be used toward our wedding photography. Vouchers can be obtained by contacting Hazel du Preez Photography at (insert your preferred contact method here)."

From a practical perspective, you might have some logistical issues with the vouchers. People may expect to get a paper from you to present as a gift. You'll need to think about how you'll get them to everyone, especially if someone decides they want one at the last minure. Another thing to think about is how you'll handle any "excess" vouchers; will you give the couple the cash, a credit for future services?

Hope this helps.

I think Jennifer's comments are helpful but I would steer away from the 'we would appreciate gift... " language. In fact, the whole asking for gifts in an invitation is an extreme breach of etiquette. Involving yourself with this scheme may reflect poorly on you. This may be bad for marketing purposes. Also you will be encountering all the guests. If there's a chance of a negative vibe, your work may suffer. I personally would be embaressed to encounter them anyway.

Gift registries are acceptable for some reason. Often guests request registry info or the word is spread out. Arranging an after invitation gift voucher scheme should be considered.

I wonder if your fee is going to be paid after the wedding. If so the couple may be relying on these vouchers and guests may decline to purchase them after such a crass request. I wouldn't if I was in their shoes. Guests may even decline to go and any voucher or cash gifts would stay home with them. Be prepared for delays in payment if you are not paid in advance.

That Yervant, I think he's possibly an even better marketer than photographer. I would be very much surprised if those vouchers weren't used in relation to a registry of some sort. Gift registers are quite common place in Australia. We haven't gaoled anyone for a severe breech of etiquette for years now ;-). If the B&G are having a Bridal Registry you could add your gift voucher to that (if possible some department stores won't let you do that). I would avoid any literature that would be viewed as marketing going out with their invitations. You could suggest they include the following in their invitation 'Please consider a gift voucher from our photographer XYZ when purchasing gifts' I don't offer gift vouchers so you can take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Often techniques like gift vouchers and payment plans can be used to close the sale where clients are buying outside of their budget. So you're closing a sale with a client that might have walked away by giving them an option to share the costs with the guests. Alternatively, it can be used to provide further sales or upgrades to packages, any excess in vouchers can be used to get a bigger Album or 2 canvas presentation prints etc. Think carefuly about the benefits and costs to your business, and the benefits for your clients.

I hope this helps

Regards

Greg

Hazel, I've followed your thread with interest, thanks for posting it.

In order to push this interesting idea I've spent the last hour or so creating a potential system for me to do this on my own website.

A bridal couple, or any member of the circle of family of friends can be directed to my website and purchase a "Gift Certificate" for the bride and groom if they wish to do so.

I've created a "Gift Certificate" page. Then, a Gallery was created for each item in the "Gift Certificate" basket. I've placed a text on a image file to basically describe what I can offer.

If they want to purchase a "Gift Certificate" they merely click on that item and add it to their shopping cart and then can pay by credit card in seconds.

~When they purchase with a charge card the money goes directly to paypal and I get an email with their information. I would then (as I envision it, lol) send a verification email to the buyer and a cc to the bride and groom.

~I see several potential hurdles to get over but one never knows unless they jump in so I jumped in.

~I honestly see this as a wonderful way to give the bride and groom a chance to guide those who wish to gift to them to a location where they can NOT buy a toaster or a George Foreman Grill or a Slow Cooker!

~I really see photography as one of the treasured items that helps start a couple out and I think it's a very good thing to encourage family and friends to Gift something of lasting value: like photography and related items.

Fortune favours the brave hey William. The confirmation email to the buyer sounds fine but I would think about the cc to the B&G. I would like my large contribution handled discreetly. Maybe an updated balance to the B&G and then a list of those who purchased a gift vouchers after the wedding? Just an idea

Regards

Greg

Whilst I emphatically maintain the fundament process of and responsibility to a business is the survival of that business, which means maintaining a functional net profit, and to that end always looking for new and refreshing marketing opportunities, I would be extremely cautious inviting progression to a gift voucher system and becoming part of a pseudo `Bridal Register`, (which, as noted are quite common in Australia).

Our studios were not in the business of selling `Wedding Gifts`, per se, (to guests) to give to the Bride and Groom, and, moreover, we would not wish to provide the necessary services for recording and maintaining a register and voucher system for those sales.

I think you need to decide exactly what business you are in and evaluate the cost benefits of expanding your core business into this venture.

Prima facie, I would not.

However, I can see (some) merit in having a third party (the `Bridal Register`) manage this aspect of business, or, having it automated, and at arms distance to the core structure, for example, as thought out and described in Mr Morgan`s template, above.

But, before I adopted any systems similar to those outlined by Mr Morgan, whilst I agree that fortune does favour the brave, also, fools rush in where Angels fear to tread: so I would analyse the cost benefits of such a scheme and certainly I would seek professional advice regarding my obligations, if any, to a third party payee whose funds arrived in the business account in regard to a transaction, when the third party is not a contract signatory.

So, the bottom line might be that your business simply does not provide this service.

The Bride and Groom, (or Host), however, can scribe the invitation in any manner they desire.

WW

Re: <<<so I would analyse the cost benefits of such a scheme and

certainly I would seek professional advice regarding my obligations, if any, to a third party payee whose funds arrived in the business account in regard to a transaction, when the third party is not a contract signatory. >>>>

ahhhh, great point William W.

I always look forward to your postings. The connection to the contract is important and that's why I tried to tie it into the text portion of the "Gift Certificate" page but I can see how that would be clunky (that's an official lawyer type term, right?).

Another one of the hurdles to cover would be the logistics of dealing with someone who offers and pays for a "Gift Certificate" (in part or whole) then the bride and groom feel they don't want the item or they want a lesser item or ... ... ...

I still "feel" (ut oh, not a good way to approach it) that bridal couples would be interested in allowing family and friends to gift photography items they may not be able to afford. It just seems that the brides are always "shopping" the photography very hard; that's just the customers I deal with, not a bad thing or a good thing but that's just the way it seems to be.

Hazel, in my posts and in the text on the "Gift Certificate" page on my website I've used some language that I hope you might find helpful in wording your wedding invitation card.

To William Morgan, (et al)

RE:

>>> the third party is not a contract signatory.<<<

And

>>> [?] then the bride and groom feel they don't want the item or they want a lesser item or ... <<<

I think if we look at this issue a different way: when the Bride and Groom set a list at a Bridal Registry it is a list of GOODS.

In broad terms, after the event if the Bride or Groom change their minds, these gifts can usually be returned and exchanged for other goods of the same value: everyone is happy.

It seems to me, you are attempting to design a process where the model described above can be applied to SERVICES, (and perhaps some GOODS), but essentially SERVICES. And although these services are defined under a CONTRACT between two parties, there is a need to SELL them to a PURCHASER who will then GIVE that to a party mentioned in the contract.

Even in a complex world, this will work, most of the time: the point is it worth it for the odd time is goes belly up? I do not know.

But, I think to adequately pursue the idea it will be necessary to start at the beginning by clearing one`s head of any notion of adaptability of the `Bridal Register` model, and build a model from the ground up: as a new addition to the SERVICES one`s business offers for sale, not an appendage to a SERVICE already PURCHASED.

Are we on the same page here? Are you getting my drift?

>>> I still "feel" (ut oh, not a good way to approach it) that bridal couples would be interested in allowing family and friends to gift photography items they may not be able to afford. <<<

Yes, I believe the idea has legs, it is a very good idea: just keep it separate, I think.

I still do not think I would not be interested for the business I was / am involved in, but it is very good thinking. If it is followed through by any commentator I would be very interested in the outcomes.

>>> It just seems that the brides are always "shopping" the photography very hard; that's just the customers I deal with, not a bad thing or a good thing but that's just the way it seems to be. <<<

This is a separate issue from the previous. With respect, I believe you might have fallen into the trap of linking them together because you are too close to it, and you have hit upon an idea and see an application and just `donated` it to a problem of which you are aware.

Have you ever considered that the Brides are in fact not shopping hard?

Brides are average consumers, but under extreme emotional pressure. Mostly the very first thing 90% of consumers think to ask is `how much?`, (if they have not already researched the $XXXX figure easily found at your website).

Under emotional pressure consumers tend to be micro focussed and will often look single-mindedly forever, unless their minds are relaxed to explore the necessary macro picture.

Are you following their lead and falling into the trap of selling to them on price?

You may find a thought here interesting:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00M2rH

What do you think?

Regards, (and thank you for the very kind words),

WW

Hazel, what are you deciding to do for your text? Have you worked it out? I'd be interested in the language used.

Apologies for rudely hijacking your thread with my excitement about the gift certificates on my website but I'll blame it on your interesting thread! I will make this my last post on your thread, sorry.

re: WW: <<<<build a model from the ground up: as a new addition to the SERVICES one`s business offers for sale, not an appendage to a SERVICE already PURCHASED.>>>>

Yes, I understand and I've made a rough first attempt at this I think?. Now how to refine this because all the services are actually listed in the contract apart from the actual one package price I offer.

I use the business model that offers all the items mentioned on my website as a-la-carte items so they are almost always outside the contract (meaning they are not decided upon when the contract is signed but after the wedding they can decide on the album or dvd slideshow and so on but this idea would allow family and friends the chance to pay for some of the other items outside the original photography package).

Do I just leave them off the contract entirely and place them as "Other Services"? I'm fearful that I'd then have to create another contract for each item and I'd rather have that fall under the umbrella of the first signed contract so price and substance of the item is well defined for their wedding/contract.

As I sit now: I offer my one day all day photography and image files for one price and all other items a-la-carte and list them outside that offer right on the contract as it sits right now. So, am I close or maybe even "there". The person who gifts will clearly know that once they gift to the bride and groom that the bride and groom can apply that gifted money to any item even though they are listed separately so the giver can see the array of items offered.

In this initial stage I am viewing this as an open process: this would necessitate communication between the gift certificate buyer and the bridal couple so that if "part" of an album gets paid for that the bride and groom can use the money towards any other items in the a-la-carte area if they later change their minds. I've placed statements to that effect on the text box in the gift certificate page which clearly states that once the gift is given towards the photography that the bride and groom can use it towards any item they choose: it's all about how to gift and just let it go. I don't think those who gift care much if one toaster is exchanged for another do they? So, in my mind, this is a gift certificate that can be targeted towards one item by the gift giver but the bride and groom do have the ability to use the money towards any other item in the photographer's a-la-carte package. The a-la-carte package is currently not included in my one package price but they are items that brides and grooms decide on later UNLESS a person just wants to gift an item by buying it for them.

~Interesting thoughts on brides as shoppers. I actually do think that "some" of the brides I photograph for have shopped for a specific style as well as the best price but I'd have to admit that they probably grow weary at some point. I am very impressed, generally, with the knowledge and the focus of many of the brides I work with recently; maybe the digital age is creating a more educated group of young ladies/men regarding wedding photography. And, yes, I've fallen into that trap of selling to them on price yet I find I'm starting to dig myself out of that trap but it's been a slow process.

~I am going to risk leaving the Gift Certificate gallery on my website. I do see potential issues that will need to be resolved. If I don't put it out there I'll just never know so I'll be careful.

I do not ever think a thread is hijacked, although some at Photonet do.

Forum: (Roman, antiquated) a public place, a place for discussion.

I think there are little gems in every comment on this thread and Ms du Preez may have a weekend ahead, sorting through all the thoughts: I wish her well with it, it is a very interesting topic and am hoping she might let us know what her next step is to be, I for one, am interested to know.

>>> Interesting thoughts on brides as shoppers. <<<

It is important to note who the `shopper` actually is.

We worked hard to get an initial interview, on site, and always were very aware who arrived for that interview. The Mother of the Bride, is often the silent shopper.

As you are most likely aware, I am yet to be convinced of the positive cost benefits of (full / only) web site marketing.

Full discloser on the website definitely has its place: but IMO limited to businesses slanted heavily to competing on selling price, and in the main attracting such customers.

Hence, my previous comments apropos Web Page and Consumers, whilst were stand alone comments, in my mind at least, were also linked.

WW

WOW! I'm a little overwhelmed by your responses and apologies for the delay in responding to everyone who has kindly contributed to what seems to be a debatable topic of some sort! :-)

I've tried to take on board as much of what you've said and William M and William W a big thank you for the feedback back and forth. That's wonderful! (William W, I always love reading your posts - they're always so full of experience and wisdom! Thanks for sharing!) (And William M - no such as thing as hijacking a thread, glad to have raised a topic that is of some value and use to others too).

So this is what I've decided for the time being (with more of your thoughts to be absorbed and incorporated along the way) I've spoken to the bride and explained to her that I've had a think about the business card idea as I feel that it may be too commercial and detract from her beautiful wedding invitation (and/or may offend some guests although where we're from a gift registry and mention of it is acceptable to a degree).

Instead as John H mentioned above I have arranged for "an after invitation gift voucher scheme" by asking the bride if along with the map and all the other bits she may be including with her invitation, she could add something along the lines of "Please feel free to contact [insert maid of honour/bridesmaid's name] on [contact details] should you need any further details or gift ideas" or something along those lines that would be polite.

This way the guests don't feel 'pushed' in any particular direction as the person in charge of these emails will be able to explain to guests that as this couple has been together some time already don't particularly need another set of crockery or a toaster and that there is the option of contributing towards their WeddingBook/album instead. On contacting me, I'll be able to explain I offer gift vouchers in denominations of 20, 50 or 100. The couple is hoping for a WeddingBook (with each person who has gifted towards it to be acknowledged in the front cover of the book) alternatively if what they receive is insufficient, it may be used on prints or products of their choice.

Jennifer, thanks for the practical points I needed to consider such as a hard copy of the voucher to give to guests as they're bound to want to include this with a wedding card. I intend producing a voucher which can be sent to them via email as a PDF (each numbered sequentially to keep track of them), with a hard copy in the post if time permits.

Morgan M, thanks for sharing the tips on having a seperate gift voucher page. As I run an online gallery with ordering facility I've added a "gift voucher for use by Bride & Groom" as one of the items available for purchase.

My other concern has been the legal aspects, although all my packages are offered on an a la carte basis - photography service/coverage plus goods, i.e. albums, WeddingBooks and prints so I hope that this too some extent will make it a bit easier to explain that what ever I receive as gifts for the couple will be used on a product of their choice. So the guest is no party to the contract with the bride and groom? Also as all my coverage fees have to be paid up front, and my pricing is done in such a way that an album sale is a bonus, I'm not concerned about non-payment.

I hope I've covered most of your points, but will let you know how I get on with it. If you think of anything more that I may have missed, please feel free to let me know..

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and I hope others have benefited from this too.