Woo hoo! Getting new equipment!

peter_k4

<p>I just wanted to come share my joy with my fellow Nikonians. I'm the photo editor at my university's newspaper, and this morning, me and the sports editor successfully convinced the board members to buy us a D3s, D300s, 70-200 VR2, 24-70, 16-35VR a CF manfrotto tripod, and 2 SB-900s ! :D<br>

I've never used the multicam 3500 system or any of the other features of these bodies. I'll no doubt be coming for advice in the next few weeks when I get confused!<br>

cheers!</p>

<p>Well Jim, what can I say? I'm a photographer not a proofreader! :)<br>

We've been living off a D80, D40, 18-55 and 55-200 for the last few years, and the paper has had a surplus in the last few years as well, so we had it coming!<br>

The best part is that my NAS is now satisfied (at least until I graduate..) without having to pay a penny myself!</p>

<p>A year ago I was at a 4-day photo seminar. Another person who attended was a general-assignment reporter for a small newspaper in Florida. His DSLR was a D200 (yes, D200, not even a D300; the D300S had not been released at that time). He covered his local NFL team's games with that D200 (that is US professional football).</p>

<p>And now college kids are using the D3S, etc.</p>

<p>That's because most newspapers are broke, Shun. Sometimes it helps to have your corporation run by a small army of free student volunteers ;)<br>

I personally use a D200, 18-35, 50 1.4 and 80-200 2.8 and it does everything I need. But hey, I wanted new cameras to play with and they had money burning a hole. This equipment will help to improve our sports and indoor event coverage significantly. It should also last for 20 years and I'm sure will seem old and crappy at that time, and I'm sure the photo editor then will argue that he needs the D9s to take better photos! :P</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just wanted to come share my joy with my <strong><em>fellow Nikonians. (?)</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wrong website - <a href="http://www.nikonians.org/">try here.</a> We're photo.netters, but some here are likely Nikonians too. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm the photo editor at my university's newspaper, and this morning, me and the sports editor successfully convinced the board members to buy us a D3s, D300s, 70-200 VR2, 24-70, 16-35VR a CF manfrotto tripod, and 2 SB-900s ! :D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>College newspaper? You got the 16-35mm f/4 for journalism over a 17-25 f/2.8? What happened to the 200 f/2.0 VR, 300mm f/2.8 VRII, and 400mm f/2.8 VR lenses, TCs, and Q-flashes with battery packs to cover football, basketball, track, swimming, and theater? NAS satisfied? Bah! ;D</p>

<p>J/K - congrats on talking the board into getting the gear.</p>

<p>Peter, consider yourself very lucky. When I was in college, I had an FE and a Nikkormat FT3. The FE was a "current model" at that time. I took a bunch of pictures for our yearbook with black and white film since they did not print color yearbooks back then, at least not at where I went to college.</p>

<p>Congratulations and please take good care of the new equipment.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>College newspaper? You got the 16-35mm f/4 for journalism over a 17-25 f/2.8? What happened to the 200 f/2.0 VR, 300mm f/2.8 VRII, and 400mm f/2.8 VR lenses, TCs, and Q-flashes with battery packs to cover football, basketball, track, swimming, and theater? NAS satisfied? Bah! ;D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll have to save those for next year's budget D.B. ! I'm not sure why I didn't get the 17-35 actually... I guess I just wasn't thinking 3 of the most expensive lenses would fly with the budget people, but it probably would have. Either way, on the D3s f2.8 or f4 will be irrelevant at wide angles :)</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>And I apologize for referring to anyone here as nikonians. I didn't realize it was another forum :P</p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Now I'm wondering what I'll do after college though</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are going to do what the rest of the miserable lot of us is doing: work! And pay for that incurable disease called NAS. Sorry to see this: so young and yet addicted to the dark side!</p>

<p>Funny my university years were the years when I stopped photography. At high school and now working I tend to pick up the camera again and enjoy it.</p>

<p>So Peter, congratulations on winning the debate. Make sure to post the results here on the lovely WedNEsday forum!</p>

<p>Well, after college, you can try to get a job at Nikon as a sales rep. All of our local Nikon reps are assigned a fairly complete set of Nikon DSLRs, lenses, flashes, and Coolpix digitcam for demo purposes. There is no 600mm/f4 AF-S VR as far as I know, but they all have a D3S, D300S ... D3000, 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR .... It all comes with the territory, so to speak.</p>

<p>Or you can work on Wall Street and get to buy whatever toy you want. :-)</p>

<p>After I got my first job, I bought an FE2 and a 35mm/f1.4 AI-S. I still own that lens today.</p>

<p>Work!? hmm, I'll take it under consideration guys.. but I'm still figuring out my plan to be provided for by series of increasingly wealthy models ;)</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to Wednesday pics, although now I will truly have no excuse for my mediocre photos!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When I was in college I shot for the Daily Free Press. We used our own equipment then. I started with my Konica Autoreflex T2 with the 57/1.4 Hexanon. In the middle of my Freshman year I traded the T2 and lens for a T3 with the new 50/1.4 Hexanon. We shot mostly Tri-X then and developed it in D-76 or Diafine. I didn't always trust the chemicals at the paper so I sometimes brought my own. My favorite developer then was Ethol UFG. For a flash I had my trusty Vivitar 292 with spare batteries. I think my other lenses were Vivitars then. The 35/1.9 probably got used the most. Others inluded the 28/2.5, 135/2.8 and 200/3.5. At some point I added the 20/3.8. The half tones were shot with a huge Nu-Arc camera. If they were underexposed the text wouldn't look very good and the photos would be dark and muddy. If they were overexposed the text would look clean but the photos would be too light and too contrasty. Prints all came out of the stabilization processor and each photographer had to make his or her own prints. It seemed that most of the photographers were young men. </p>