Wollensak vs Ektar 127 replacement

tim obrien

I have a Wollensak 127 in a Rapax shutter that looks like the front

element was cleaned at one time by steelwool or something. Does

anyone know if an Ektar 127 will fit this shutter as a simple screw

in replacement. They look similar, but are they?

tim in san jose

Tim, What kind of camera are you going to use it on? The 127 Ektar is a classic for Speed Graphics and is my favorite on the Crown, but if you plan on mounting it on a 'normal' view camera(the kind with lots of moves) I think you'll find the image circle too tight to be of much use.----Cheers!

This goes on a Kalart Press 3x4. I disassembled the lens, easily done by unscrewing the front and rear element groups from the shutter. After careful cleaning of some fungus on the inner rear element surface, I turned my attention to the front. Someone made a mess of the front surface and there is some sort of film around the edges of the lens on the rear surface that won't clean off with peroxide and vinager. Time to retire that lens I think. The shutter seems pretty good, though it might need a cleaning and I am hoping that an Ektar will fit just by screwing in.

tim

Tim, Rapaxes came in standard sizes. 127/4.7 Ektars were sold in Rapax. So in principle if you have the right size shutter and get 127/4.7 Ektar front and rear cells they should go rignt in.

The problem is that there's no guarantee that the inter-cell spacing will be right. Probably will be, but there's no guarantee.

Also, I hear, even though you didn't say it explicitly, "swap front cell for front cell." This is a damnfool idea. The Wolly cells were made to work with each other. The Ektar cells were made to work with each other. The two lenses' designs differ. No doubt an Ektar front with a Raptar rear will for an image, but the odds are it won't be a good one.

If the shutter is good, your best bet is to look for a Wolly in a busted Rapax and swap the cells into you good shutter. If the shutter isn't good, just replace everything.

Tim, Rapaxes came in standard sizes. 127/4.7 Ektars were sold in Rapax. So in principle if you have the right size shutter and get 127/4.7 Ektar front and rear cells they should go rignt in.

The problem is that there's no guarantee that the inter-cell spacing will be right. Probably will be, but there's no guarantee.

Also, I hear, even though you didn't say it explicitly, "swap front cell for front cell." This is a damnfool idea. The Wolly cells were made to work with each other. The Ektar cells were made to work with each other. The two lenses' designs differ. No doubt an Ektar front with a Raptar rear will forM (stupid typo corrected, apologies to all) an image, but the odds are it won't be a good one.

If the shutter is good, your best bet is to look for a Wolly in a busted Rapax and swap the cells into you good shutter. If the shutter isn't good, just replace everything.

Dan,

"Also, I hear, even though you didn't say it explicitly, "swap front cell for front cell." This is a damnfool idea."

Of course not. I would be leary of swapping front and rear elements within the same family, much less from Wollensak to Kodak. I was hoping someone would know if the intercell spacing is the same on these two lens as well as the thread sizes.

Thank you for your observations. I think the Ektar is probably a much better lens but I am open to being proved wrong.

tim