With D90 why not leave VR on all of the time?

owen_farmer

<p>Also if you have your camera on a tripod. The motion of the VR motor can cause a very slight movement. So turn VR off if you are using your camera on a tripod. Also as Mark has pointed out it does use extra power to operate. However the batteries on a D90 are good for 800 + shots with VR turned on.</p>

<p>Only shut mine off when on a tripod. Which is like. Rare. Can't think of a reason not too otherwise. I've experienced image degradation when using vr at high shutter speeds but that's on longer lenses (70-300vr, 70-200vr), and not always.</p>

<p>Oh, make sure you leave VR at "normal" mode, "active" vr does shake up the image slightly on regular shooting conditions, particularly observable on longer lenses as well :)</p>

<p>The byThom article is 100% correct. Don't turn VR on unless you NEED it. I shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 VR (1st gen) and I use VR about .01% of the time I'm shooting with it. I shoot sports with it and in order to stop action I tend to shoot at a MINIMUM of 1/250th. </p>

<p>For weddings, when I need to shoot slower than 1/250th, I'm on a tripod/monopod 99% of the time. If, for reasons out of my control, I need to shoot hand held at slow shutter speeds, I will turn VR on.</p>

<p>None of my other lenses have VR.</p>

<p>RS </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"We've done well without VR for many years (us old schoolers). And holding the camera steady was once a skill :)"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Old schooler here. And "<em>was</em> once a skill" is more true now than you might realize. I used to be able to handhold steadily enough to get sharp photos down to 1/15th sec and usable photos (for newspaper reproduction or casual use) as slow as 1 second. But arthritis doesn't have any respect for my old school skills. I can seldom handhold steadily now below 1/125th. VR or some other form of image stabilization is now a must for me. I probably won't buy another new lens or camera body without it. Ditto good high ISO performance - I shoot at high ISOs more than ever now to get faster shutter speeds.</p>

<p>Dumbest photography-oriented mistake I've made in the past 10 years was selling my 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR. I normally left VR on for everything, including shutter speeds above 1/500th. I'm looking forward to seeing some thorough tests for the new 24-120/4 VR. I liked that focal range, even on a DX format dSLR. It'll probably replace most of my other zooms and primes for handheld photography.</p>

<p>I leave it on except when on a tripod. I generally use my 70-200 VR I/II for stage photos. With a Leica, I could easily go done to 1/15 or 1/8 handheld. No more. VR has become my security blanket. When I have turned it off for tripod use, I often forget to turn it back on. And I am only 53!</p>