Wista SP question

christos_chatzoglou

<p>Hello.<br>

I'm thinking to buy a tecnical 4x5 camera, and for the moment my preference is for the Wista SP.<br>

My questions are:<br>

1. The microswing rear movement of this camera, means fine geared tilt?<br>

2. Has any geared movements and if yes which are?<br>

3. The rear tilt is a base tilt, or offset (something like Ebony's U models) of about 50mm from it's

base, as i red at this review <a href="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wista-

rf/">http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wista-rf/</a><br>

4. The bellows are made from leather?<br>

4. Your experience from this camera and if it possible to use with it my Fujinon T 400 f\8?<br>

Thank you for all your answers.</p>

<p>Microswings are fine geared swings. Other than that, front rise/fall is geared. Front tilt is friction but allows very fine control. Front focus is also geared. Yes, bellows is made of leather. And yes, you can focus the 400T at infinity with the standard bellows.<br>

It's a great camera. You will also appreciate the full featured rotating back.<br>

Guy</p>

<p>Thank you Guy and Fafael for your answers.<br>

Between SP and RF which is better for landscape use?<br>

The extra cost for the RF model will be something that could give somethig usefull in field?<br>

The review of Joel Barrow about this camera saids:<br>

<<Focusing is also aided by the back swing having a 50mm offset fulcrum, this means you can just focus the bottom edge of the screen on a distant object then swing the back until the near objects at the top of the screen are in focus and the whole image is in focus !>> <br>

He wrote (if i understood right), that the rear tilt, isn't a base tilt, but the axe is 50 mm over, from the back's base.<br>

So what's really happens?</p>

<p>My opinion: The RF will not do anything for you in landscape use. You will be using the ground glass to compose and focus, so the rangefinder is not helpful, while it adds unnecessary weight to the camera.<br>

My SP is an older model, although I don't think the design has changed...the back tilt is base tilt, or very close to it. The axis by which the back tilts is 27mm approximately from the back's lowest edge. The procedure JB describes works regardless of where the base tilt is located, though, as long as it is near or at the base.</p>

<p>http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h285/ragc01/DSC_7455es.jpg</p><div>00S0Kj-103571584.thumb.jpg.e6d77c5c87a4d2ca1b20563a60b75968.jpg</div>

<p>A big thank you for the photo Rafael.<br>

Now, with your explanation about the base tilt, i have a clear idea about it.<br>

From your photo, i note the robust consruction of this camera.<br>

Looks like very much as Linhof.<br>

You are right about the RF model.<br>

I thought about it, only in cases when happens to wait the right light before to shoot, with the film allready loaded and you want just before to release the shutter, to check the composition one last time.<br>

Anywhere this isn't the rule only an exception.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...