Wish list

alastair_anderson

<p>It's a year since my D3 was stolen and I'm ready to jump back into the water. After some thought I've come to the conclusion that I'd prefer a DSLR to a Leica M9 (irrespective of cost).<br />The D3s is more or less what I'm looking for. I want an FX camera with a 100% viewfinder and for me video is a big plus.<br />But here are some features that the D3s doesn't have.<br />1. I'd prefer a smaller body. I realise that there's a conflict here with the 100% finder which for me is not negotiable. But if it's possible...<br />2. I'd like a sensor that allows a slower base ISO (and higher resolution than the D3 and D3s). Obviously I have no complaints at the high end and I guess I wouldn't want to lose that, so I'd be happy to stick with the D3S sensor if the ISO range can't be stretched.<br />3. I would prefer a storage medium that allows a quicker download time.<br />4. It would be nice to have a more comprehensive range of autofocus points.<br />5. I'm not mad about the big yellow strap.</p>

<p>What 'improvements' would you like to see?</p>

<p>The D700 replacement might be right up your alley.</p>

<p>But, we don't know for sure just yet.</p>

<p>My improvement list looks like this:</p>

<p>35/1.4G<br>

70-200/2.8G-VR<br>

300/2.8 G-VR<br>

85/1.4G<br>

Another FX body (waiting for D700 replacement).</p>

<p>i got the D3s because of the uncertainty of a replacement. but it's too big for casual/walkaround use. i dunno, i kind of think you are describing the d7000, except for the FX requirement. in any event, you can always switch out the strap.</p>

<p>my wish list:<br>

85/1.4 EX HSM (yup, i said it)<br>

17-35/2.8 AF-S<br>

20/1.8 EX<br>

58/1.4 MF<br>

40/2 MF<br>

since it's a wish list:<br>

300/2.8 AF-S<br>

24/1.4 G<br>

35/1.4 G<br>

8-16 DX</p>

<p> </p>

<p> I have a D200 and it seems fine to me. I do not have any wishes I guess about camera's. I would like it if I did not have a flat tire on my bicycle for the rest of the year. That would be pretty cool. I hate it when I get up to go to work and the bike has a flat. It makes it hard to get to work on time. I think my wife would wish for warmer weather so that her garden would start growing.</p>

<p>Addressing the card and download time; the fastest cards are Compact Flash (CF). I just bought an 8gb Delkin "Cambat" Flash card for my new D300s, rated at 625x speed, 91mb CDMA transfer rate, and I'm amazed how fast it is. I also use a Firewire 800 CDMA card reader to my MacBook Pro and downloading is also very fast. With the new Thunderbolt just coming out, transfer speeds will get much faster.</p>

<p>Some thoughts;</p>

<ul>

<li>At first I also missed the slower base ISO but after a couple of years I`ve found I can live with it. A neutral 8x grey filter do the work.</li>

<li>About the 100% viewfinder... it`d be great. They can remove the toy flash from the D700 and attach that viewfinder. Or if they are silly with smaller viewfinders, please put a good, built-in remote triggering system instead.</li>

<li>Agree with Michael. There are downloading systems that work like a charm. I jumped from downloading directly from the camera to a dedicated card reader, and the speed is surprising. Less than one second per full RAW, wich is a huge improvement to me.</li>

<li>I want original focusing screen options; like it was in the past.</li>

<li>Agree with the strap thing; I hate to have all that stricking characters on the straps. Just for this reason, I never use them. I don`t even unwrap them since the F3, thought. </li>

</ul>

<p>And much more things...</p>

<ul>

</ul>

<p>Alastair,<br>

If I'd be in your shoes I'd get now D7000 (o, yeah... is not FX but is a very good and portable camera) with a few good primes like:<br>

24/1.4<br>

50/1.8 AF-S G<br>

85/1.4 (my fave is Sigma...)<br>

and I'd enjoy using this stuff 'till D700 replacement would be on the market. Then you can decide if selling D7000 or keeping as a secondary lightweight camera.</p>

<p>Some interesting responses here, thanks guys. 'Wish list' was perhaps not the best title for the thread because my intention was to encourage a discussion of camera features rather than to elicit lists of lenses etc.</p>

<p>ross b, have you not considered filling your tyres with foam? I used to get lots of punctures but they stopped altogether after that.</p>

<p>Vince Passaro, I still have some Nikkors that weren't in the camera bag at the time the D3 was stolen so I'm not keen to switch to Canon. I prefer Nikons to Canons anyway. (I once used an EOS 5) In any event I don't think I'd be happy with the 5D Mark II autofocus system and as you say it doesn't have a 100% finder.<br />I can certainly wait for a D700 upgrade but would be very surprised if it has a 100% finder.</p>

<p>@ Jose Angel...<br>

I agree about the D700 flash. If Nikon could go to a 100% finder with interchangeable screens and maybe a touch more diopter adjustment, I would be glad to say goodbye to the flash. If I expect the need for a touch of fill (all the D700 flash is really good for), I'll stick an SB400 in my pocket, thank you.</p>

<p>I have a D300 and D700, still waiting on the the replacement on the D3s and D700. The 100% viewfinder will be great. My wish list for lense are:<br>

600mm/AF-S VRII f4.0<br>

105mm/AF-S VRII f2.8<br>

85mm/AF-S VRII f1.4<br>

14-24mm/AF-S f2.8</p>

<p>My wishlist as of right now is...<br>

D800 + grip<br />24-120mm VRII f4<br />14-24mm f2.8<br />200mm Micro f4<br />another SB-700<br>

and a P7000 for everyday fun use.<br>

As far as current cameras features that I would like to have changed or upgraded, I would say that I would like the D7000 features and body size with the D3s viewfinder, about 7-9 fps and an FX sensor for even better noise control and wide angle possibilities. I would be exceptionally happy with that camera, and I'm hoping that's what the D800 will offer + more.</p>