Wireless shutter release

jeffery_pool

Using pocket wizards to trip electronic cameras wirelessly is fairly common in the sports photographjy

world. But what about using a Pocket Wizard to trip a camera with a mechanical release? (ie. a large format

lens) has something ever been invented? I've read about solenoid releases but I'm not sure how you

release them or really any idea of what they are?

I haven't seen one of these designed for cable release, but a solenoid is simply a device that converts an electrical signal, such as one supplied by a wireless receiver, to mechanical motion, as on the cable release end. solenoids are essentially electromagnets with moveable cores, and as such use a lot more electrical current than electronic devices. That could be a problem shooting in the field on battery power.

Hi;

Last weekend I constructed a radio controlled cable release box using a ?50 ($100) Futaba model radio control kit.

using just one of the supplied channels and servos included in the kit I found that the rotational servo was easily capable of activating the cable release when I fixed them both to a piece of hardboard.

I now have a box 180mm square and 50mm deep with a cable release coming out of it that fits on my lens shutters.

I haven't trialed it for range yet but I reckon it should be the same as for a model aircraft.

Works fine.

Total cost approx $150.00 for cable, RC and batteries (you need 12 AA's, 4 for the servo box and 8 for the transmitter).

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

That`s ingenious! I was thinking that a remote locking kit like the ones available in many auto parts stores may be another startng point, and plenty strong (perhaps even a little too strong, one may have to careful!).

By the way, as a modeller I can assure you range will not be an issue with your set up - unless you want to be so far that you can`t even see the camera! My RC planes routinely travel hundreds of feet away from the transmitter - just be sure there are not model airplane clubs near by, it would be a shame to "shoot down" somoene`s labor of love with your shutter release. Mind you, radios designed for ground/water use work on different frequencies than those for RC planes, so you may want to figure out what use your Futaba was intended for just to be nice:)

Peter.

Just a few weeks ago a model airplane hobbist GAVE me an old control module with a couple of servos. And yes they have the power to trip a shutter through a cable release.

With that I will be able to trip any mechanical shutter from a distance that takes a cable shutter release.

Now to put it all together!

BTW the solenoids from Graphic cameras don't have the power to overcome the spring of the cable releases I tried.