Wireless Remote Control for Canon EOS 80D

friskybongo

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have an EOS 80D body on order and wanted to order the Canon RC-6 wireless remote control. I queried Canon customer support for compatibility and this was their reply:<br>

<em>"Thank you for your continued correspondence regarding the EOS 80D Camera. I can help with compatibility with the RC-6 wireless remote control.</em></p>

<p dir="LTR"><em>The RC-6 wireless remote control is compatible with EOS WiFi Cameras. The EOS 80D Camera is not WiFi camera".</em></p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR">Is this accurate? According to page 474 of the 80D manual there is a menu setting to Disable / Enable Wi-Fi/NFC. Am I misunderstanding something?</p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR">Thank you for your advice.</p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p>It doesn't matter one iota if the 80D has Wi-Fi as the RC-6 works via IR. And, yes, it works fine with the 80D. To use it, put the camera in self-timer mode. You have 30 sec to trigger exposure before the camera times out. Of course, you could disable sleep if 30 sec isn't long enough. Realize the IR sensor is on the top of the camera grip, so point the RC-6 towards the sensor. Mine will trigger from the front and just over the top of the grip or to the right.</p>

<p>If you want to use the 80D with Wi-Fi, install the Canon Camera Connect app on your iPhone or droid and it makes for a fine remote, albeit a real battery eater.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter