Wireless flash using Nikon d70

james_wang6

I am an amateur photographer, trying to setup a budget wireless flash studio. some people suggfsted to

use sunpak 383 with wein hot shoe slave unit as wireless remote, triggering it using nikon d70 built

in flash. Sunpak 383 is non dedicated flash, but I only use it as wireless remote, don't care it can be

used on camera or not. I found sunpak 422 dedicated flash has same functions as 383, plus TTL

capability, but price is much cheaper on ebay than 383. My question is: can I use sunpak 422 with any

brand dadication with wein slave as wireless flash?

Some people suggested WRONG.

D70 has iTTL mode for remote operation, and make sure your flash is compatible with Nikon iTTL mode, part of Creative Lighting System (CLS) from Nikon.

Best bet is one SB-800 for on-camera controller for multiple flashes, and SB-800 or SB-600 for remote flashes.

Frank is mistaken. You can certainly trigger the Sunpaks remotely, as long as your D70's internal flash is set to manual (non-TTL) operation. (This prevents the metering pre-flashes, which fool wireless slaves into firing early.)

The drawback to using non-Nikon strobes is that they will not support TTL wirelessly, so you will need to adjust your lights' power manually, and meter (or frequently chimp) the results, especially if your subjects move around the setup.

TTL capability only matters when it's in the hotshoe, when it's connected via TTL three-pin cable, or if it's Nikon Creative Lighting System (SB600, SB800, etc.).

Also consider the extremely inexpensive Vivitar 283, 385, etc.

"Frank is mistaken. You can certainly trigger the Sunpaks remotely, as long as your D70's internal flash is set to manual (non-TTL) operation. (This prevents the metering pre-flashes, which fool wireless slaves into firing early.)

The drawback to using non-Nikon strobes is that they will not support TTL wirelessly, so you will need to adjust your lights' power manually, and meter (or frequently chimp) the results

"

Yes, that is true, as he says, but in this case you simply give up most of the advanced flash light metering features and go to the "dark ages" of flash photography. That is you realy will need a flash meter for this kind of manual multiple flash operation.

If you do not have yet any Sunpak or Vivitar flash, do NOT get them just because you can use them in some way. You spent a $1000 for D70 and do you want to use it in Manual, and no iTTL?

As he says, you will have to "frequently chimp" , but why people advice you to suffer that much ?

Get the advantage of the best features the technology offers, and use D70 and the flash technology that is buit into it for good reasons. Do not become a chimp.

• 1 year later...
Another question: I have my SB 800 on a Stroboframe with a cable attaching it to my D200. What should my built-in flash (which I don't use) be set to....commander or TTL or does it matter? Now, if I want to set up a remote flash (my 2nd SB800), it will also be TTL, right? What are the wireless setups for? Would a wireless gizmo replace my cable attaching my camera to my flash? Thanks! Donna Rae