Windows VISTA and Microtek Artixscan 120tf

<p>I give up. Does ANYONE have this particular setup working?<br>

Windows VISTA with all updates<br>

Dell XPS 720 w/ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA video card<br>

Adobe PhotoShop CS3<br>

Mictotek Artixscan 120tf connectied via FireWire</p>

<p>I have tried every type of scanner software I can find to get a scan out of this setup - ScanWizard from Microtek versions 7.1 (current) and version 6.6<br>

I tried VueScan and Silverfast Ai - trial versions I downloaded. I did very well with SilverFast with this scanner and Windows XP before I upgraded to a new computer a year+ ago. I have been waiting for the software to be updated by Microtek and they think they have done it. They have not.<br>

The situation is infuriating. I paid a ton of money for this scanner and now it seems I have to buy an old Windows XP computer to attach it to! Any ideas? Any offers for the scanner from Windows XP users?</p>

<p>Peter</p>

<p>I have a Microtek Scanmaker 5 (old SCSI type scanner, not USB) running on Vista. I have to use ScanWizard 3.09 since that's the last version of ScanWizard that supports that old machine.</p>

<p>If you can bring up the software and it detects your scanner yet you can't change a darned thing (it's stuck in color but you want to scan in black and white and it wont let you) then you probably have UAC turned on in Vista. You know it as that annoying pop-up that asks you if you really did want to open that program that you just clicked. Turn it off and the computer will act a little more like XP.<br>

Start > in the start search type 'msconfig' without any ' > in msconfig click the Tools tab > scroll down to 'Disable UAC', highlight it, click launch. Restart your computer. Retry ScanWizard.<br>

Now, if you have a second user account on your computer (for your kid for example) and you need to make changes to their account from their account you will need to have UAC on. It's kind of a catch 22.</p>

<p>Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? Have you tried running any of the scanning programs in compatibility mode?</p>

<p>What were the problems you encountered with Vuescan? Did you email Mr Hamrick (the author) - he's usually quite good in responding to queries.</p>

<p>If you fail to find a driver or solution for running directly under Vista, you could run Windows XP in a virtual machine on top of your Vista machine. Something like VMWare or VirtualBox (both free) will do for the virtualisation. Not brilliant, but it usually works fine in this situation for USB devices (so far as I have tested), but I'm not 100% sure about either products Firewire support.</p>