Windows 7 archival CD / DVD burning

<p>My old Windows XP computer came with a program (something like Sonic My DVD LE or something?) that would burn CD's and DVD's with a verification step right after the burn step, and it also let you do things like slow down the burn speed. I really liked that program much better than XP's built-in burning tool, at least for archiving. (No, I'm not remotely interested in getting into a debate about the relative merits of archiving to CD / DVD versus whatever.) Surely there must be some good little utility to do the same thing in Windows 7, either freeware or open source or inexpensive (say, $30 or less). What program do you recommend? Thanks!</p>

<p>"Nero Burning ROM" is one of the accepted standards. I have used successive versions over the last 10 years or so without a single failure, and it does everything you want. The current version is 12, and the list price is just over your goal but I have seen discounts from that. It can also be had as part of a larger suite ("Nero Multimedia Suite"), which you may find better discounts on.</p>

<p>Nero 12 is the best CD/DVD/BD burning program I have encountered. It costs more than $30, but it is flexible and reliable. One of the best features is the disc spanning mode. It will automatically arrange files on each disc for the best fit, and call for as many discs as needed. File splitting is optional (I always decline, so discs are universally readible), and you can switch disc types mid-stream.</p>

<p>Nero will perform a file comparison check at the end of each burn, and version 12 adds a surface scan verification check.</p>

<p>For best results, always use a disc-at-once process, and automatically finalize each disc when complete. Click and drag programs are almost always packet burners, which emulates a hard drive, but puts previous data at risk if a burn crashes. Packet discs have major compatibility issues between platforms.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the advice. Based on the advice of some of you stalwarts of photo.net, I just ordered Nero 12, which was $45.99 at Amazon. Sounds like it does a lot more than what I need, but maybe I'll use the other features.</p>

<p>By the way, based on early returns, previously I tried downloading ImgBurn through Cnet, and--probably coincidentally--right around that time I got a warning about some attack that my anti-virus software said it defeated. Also, I have been thinking of buying a Blu-Ray burner, but the ones I was looking at through NewEgg did not include Nero (they did include other software).</p>

<p>Cnet and several other download sites are bundling crapware with downloads now. It's not malware - at least not with the legitimate download sites - but useless crap like toobars and adware that clutter up our browsers, offer little or no value and can be difficult to uninstall.</p>

<p>Anyway, you'll like Nero. The ability to archive across multiple disks is very helpful for those of us still using DVDs for backups (I do too).</p>

<p>Lex, you get that garbage with tons of mainstream and even fairly necessary stuff. Adobe Flash Player now, instead of just updating from the program, takes me to the Adobe website where, if I'm not careful to uncheck a box, I get that sort of garbage. Everybody is looking at new models of squeezing a little more money out of software / the Internet / etc., and some of it is fairly annoying.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You can get a Blu-Ray burner for $100 (maybe less). I just bought an external version, self-powered via USB, for my laptop for that price (the internal was $300). Pioneer burners (internal) cost a little more than some others, but they make their own drive mechanism. I've never had a problem with it, unlike some LGs I've owned. It's better to pay for quality than strictly for price.</p>

<p>With 16G and 32G CF cards, BDs are almost a necessity for backups these days. My raw video files are typically 12G to 16G, and I don't like to split them. With Nero, it's nice to have the option of switching to a DVD (or CD) for the last disc in a multidisc backup. Sony has relaxed their patent stranglehold on BDs, so you can get them in stacks of 50 for about $1.50 each.</p>

<p>I used to use Nero but it burned too many beer coasters. For my simple needs, I found it huge, expensive, and was always trying to phone home for "updates". As a linux user and enjoying the burning programs available there, along with imgburn for Windows, I feel Nero is the worst I've ever used.</p>

Edward, did you get a USB3 on your external Blu-Ray burner, or is USB2 fast enough? Great thread!

Aside from reliability, what I like best about Nero is the way it can make audio CDs for my vehicles, with track titles, either CDA or MP3. I have an iPod but the battery is always running down, so I still appreciate old-school technology such as optical disc.

<p>NewEgg had several internal SATA Blu-Ray burners for $70 - $85 delivered. If I were good enough editing video, and had enough accumulated HD video to warrant it, I'd get one today. But with no urgent need, I figure there's no real reason not to let capabilies creep up and prices drop, as they almost inevitably do. (One of these days I'll post a thread on my video editing frustrations, looking for your advice--but not tonight.) Thanks all!</p>

<p>Eric, the only problem I've experienced with Nero is that its error checking is extremely fastidious and tends to flag errors that really don't affect the disk's usability. However it might affect the longterm archival properties. So far all my CDs and DVDs burned with Nero on a LiteOn USB burner are fine, dating back to around 2005.</p>

<p>I also experienced more errors when trying to burn at maximum speed via an outboard USB burner. Backing off the speed resolved those errors.</p>

<p>I had all those issues as well, Lex. I can't recall now, but it wouldn't or couldn't burn ios's either. It doesn't hurt to try ImgBurn? It's free. It's simple. One or two clicks and you're burning and no wasted disks. For me, when it came to build a new computer I didn't even bother loading my Nero. Cheers</p>

<p>If Nero flags errors, you have a problem. With error checking, you only see the "tip of the iceberg". I burn thousands of discs, and hardly ever see an error. If I do, it's real, with an assignable cause. One "cause" is a cheap burner, like the Lite-on or LG brands.</p>

<p>The only part of the Nero Suite I use is "Burning ROM". I don't need hand-holding to get the job done, menus or labels. Burning ROM gives me the options and control I need, without sugar coating.</p>

<p>Okay, gave ImgBurn a whirl. I'd be willing to recommend it as a cost effective alternative to Nero (the programmer for ImgBurn operates on the familiar shareware/donorware basis). It seems pretty easy and straightforward to use.</p>

<p>So far the only significant feature missing from ImgBurn is the ability to easily span archives across multiple disks. In my case that's essential so I'll need to continue using Nero if only for that particular feature.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...