Window mounts?

obi-wan-yj

<p>How sturdy are car window mounts for SLR's with medium-sized lenses? Say for a Canon 40D with 70-300 IS lens? I've got a chance to buy a cheap Bushnell 78-4405 locally:</p>

<p>http://www.adorama.com/BS784405.html?searchinfo=bushnell%204405&item_no=1<br>

<br /> Will this do a reasonable job for stabilizing the camera for wildlife photography, or will I be just as well off resting the camera lens directly on the top edge of the window? Any other recommendations, in case this deal falls through and I end up buying a new one?</p>

<p>I have and use an older version of this same mount and it has worked quite well. Just remember that your car is not quite as stable as a good tripod on the ground and that any shift of your body weight or that of passengers will move the car. If you are expecting to use very slow speeds, say below 1/15th of a second) you will have a much greater chance of camera motion (car motion) than if you are using a tripod. A cable release is usually on my F3 even at faster speeds.<br>

Having said that, I use mine with lenses of up to my 500mm mirror Nikkor with no troubles. </p>

<p>I use a KIRK window mount that I like much better than the one you show on the link Try www.kirkphoto.com they list a newer model than mine and it is a much higher price than what I paid 15 + years ago but I use mine with a 300.2.8 Lens and it works well.</p>

<p>I've used small bean bags in the past, and they work OK, but I have trouble keeping them in place under the lens. Kirk makes nice stuff, but it's way out of my price range. I went ahead and bought the Bushnell mount. I haven't tried it yet -- maybe I'll test it out shooting birds at my office before I make a real photo trip in a couple months. Thanks for your input, folks.</p>