Winding the shutter first ? Contax and Kiev ?

robert loop

<p>What are the cameras where shutter must be wound before changing the speed ?<br>

It seems that for :<br>

Kiev II first shutter wounded than speed change<br>

Contax I first change the speed than wound shutter </p>

<p>Would an expert tell the truth for the whole range of Kiev and Contax ??<br>

THANKS</p>

<p>Robert</p>

<p>My Zeiss Ikon instruction manual for the Contax II/III specifically notes that it makes no difference if you wind before or after changing shutter speeds. However, experts on the Kievs & some Zeiss Ikon afficionados (like Henry Scherer), insist that the shutter should be wound before choosing speeds. To be on the safe side, I usually wind 1st, but have never experienced any bad things from occasionally choosing speeds 1st.</p>

<p>Interesting question. To answer it, I just pulled out my"no name" Kiev and set several shutter speeds with the shutter wound and then unwound. Didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other. As a practice though, I would wind first and then check or set the shutter speed. Its a carry over from Leica LTM bodies, you must wind them first and then set the shutter speed. The Kiev is a nice camera, I've had nice results with mine using a 50 Nikon 1.4 and EK Portra film.</p>

<p>If you pay close attention to the workings of the Kievs (and I'm speaking of the Kiev-IIa and 4A as those are the only two models I own) you can't accurately set the shutter speed until you wind the camera. To see an example, without winding, set the shutter speed on 1/5th of a second. Once the shutter is wound, the selector dot will be over 1/25th, not 1/5th. So in that sense, yes, you should wind the shutter first.</p>