Will vivitar 728 AF flash for canon work on Digital Rebel?

steve_allans

If you want an auto flash, you want to avoid any kind of TTL dedication. The only thing to worry about is the trigger voltage, if it's above 6volts it can damage your camera's flash circuit.

SO if you want to use a vanilla auto flash, and it has a safe trigger voltage, you ought to be able to get results as predictable as you did with film (so if you have some experience, you will get more reliable results than most people manage with a 420ex).

Looking at <a href="http://www.vivitar.com/Products/PDFs/Flash/728AF.pdf">Vivitar's 728AF pdf file</a>, as well as <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=61494&is=USA&si=spec#goto_itemInfo">B&H's listing</a>, I can't tell if it is a TTL flash only, or if it offers a choice of TTL or "Auto" Thyristor. I think it's TTL only.<p>It states the flash has Auto Thyristor circuitry, but doesn't list the "Auto f/stop Range" of f/stops along with their corresponding distances like other Auto Thyristor flash specs do (such as the <a href="http://www.vivitar.com/Products/PDFs/Flash/283.pdf">Vivitar 283)</a>.<p>"Auto" flashes seem to get respect from DSLR users, many of whom claim they give better results than the camera's dedicated flashes. I'm thinking of trying the legendary Vivitar 283 to find out for myself.<p>As Phil started to say, TTL itself won't work on a DSLR. You need ETTL, Manual Flash, or "Auto" flash (where flash meters itself).<p>As far as voltage goes, the 728AF is made for EOS cameras so it will be safe in that respect.

Since almost all flashes made in he last 30 years are Thyristor

flashes, they all recycle pretty quickly...If your flash does

just TTL, forget it, get a new one.

"light weight sounds good" well...if its lightweight it probably

does not have much power. Sounds like Canon does not have its

flash/cameras talking very well to each other as there are several

questions per day about having to dial in FEC to compensate.

I don't have a Digital EOS camera, but I do have a Vivitar 728 AFC flash. It is TTL only - the only thing adjustable is the coverage angle - and on paper provides a lot of bang for the buck in the form of guide number for $40. I have had a ton of problem with mine though - had to send it back for replacement twice within the first year after it failed after a few uses on my Elan IIe. Excellent service by Vivitar, but when it broke a third time I replaced it with a Promaster 7000M - pure bliss (and M mode) in comparison!

My girlfriend either has the Vivitar 728 or 730 AF. I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't support E-TTL, only TTL. Since TTL meters off the film, and the Rebel Digital doesn't have film, the TTL doesn't work. You can use the flash, but it will go to manual mode, so you'll have to adjust your aperture to control the exposure like the good old days.

I'm pretty sure the trigger voltage should be safe, since it's still designed for EOS.

The nice thing about the flash working in manual mode is, you don't have a problem with pre-flash triggering a slave unit, if you're into that sort of thing...