Will Nikon SB-28 flash work with the F4?

inspiration point studio

I'm having trouble finding details to back this up, but I think that between the F4 / SB-24 combo and the F5 / SB-28 combo, there was a 'migration' of feature control from the flash to the camera. The features in question are slow sync, rear sync, and red-eye reduction.

By using a 'new flash' on an 'old camera' (e.g. SB-28 on F4) you may be giving up control of / access to those features.

The SB-25 and SB-26 were 'bridge models' for the migration of those features, as were the N90 and N90s cameras. On those combos, you could control those features from either the camera or the flash. Before the 'bridge models', the features were controlled from the flash. After the bridge, the features are controlled from the camera.

For straight up matrix TTL use, yes, the SB-28 should work fine with your F4.

I use a SB-26 for my F4. It allows rear-sync (and hence automatic slow-sync) which the SB-28 does not. From features side the SB-26 is the best flash for the two cameras. SB-28 is a bit smaller and if I remember right a bit more powerful with shorter recycle times. Not so much that it really matters, though, imhu.