Will new Tmax 400 ever be made again?

<p>So, with Kodak deadish, is anyone still making tmax 400 or are they selling old stock from the freezer until the end? Delta 400 is not my favorite, and I am wondering if my go-to film is now defunct. Does anyone know anything about the future production of Tmax 400?</p>

<p>Kodak film division is not deadish. It remains the profit engine from which they take the profits for investing in their other less-than-successful consumer and commercial ink-jet printing product lines.<br>

Kodak recently signed a contract with the movie studios, who are large <em>debtors</em> in the bankruptcy (Kodak owed them huge rebates for quantity purchased), to keep making film for them through 2015. So the Kodak film division will be up and running through 2015 for certain. Without the movie film (especially print stock) sales, there simply isn't enough revenue to pay the film division's fixed costs.<br>

TMAX 400, Tri-X, etc. sell more than well enough to do multiple production runs a year. They aren't just finishing off old master rolls. But Plus-X wasn't selling well enough to do that, so they discontinued it. Same with TMAX P3200, too little sales (digital owns low-light now).<br>

Now, Kodak is trying to sell of the marketing and distribution of their still picture films. Which would be a good thing (if they can find a buyer), since they have proven their incompetence at this over the last decade.</p>

<p>didn't the report say that a new owner would still be making film<br>

on the same machines in the same buildings?<br>

depsnding on the finances of the new owner.<br>

it is remoetly possible that we could see<br>

some of the old favorites come back.<br>

I heard that panatomic -x was still made as a special purpose film<br>

but not as a still camera film. It could be true.</p>

<p>There is no proposal on Kodak's part to change the ownership of the film manufacturing facility. But remember that their <strong>primary</strong> (probably 90%) customer is the movie studios, making Eastman camera (negative) and print (positive) films. The consumer business is a sideline.<br>

The proposal is to sell the business of marketing and distribution of Kodak consumer and professional films. I'm sure Kodak has severe bloat in that business, since they are still oriented towards having their film for sale everywhere, but the reality is that the number of retail outlets is crashing. (That was how Kodak maintained their monopoly, universal access to their film. They were a monopolist 50 years ago.) The marketing twits there think the appearance of the box is what makes customers pick Kodak film instead of other brands. Really.<br /> </p>