Will Canon Make High Megapixel SLR?

25asa

<p>Since the Nikon D800 camera has finally had some testing samples done and shown, its turning out to be a winner of a camera. Im seriously thinking of switching to Nikon because of that camera. I shoot medium format film because I like high rez pics. Since Canon announced the new 5D, Im thinking it may be a very long time before they produce a full frame high megapixel camera to compete with the D800. Will Canon cede to Nikon in this example? Or do you think Canon will produce say a 3D that is full frame and 45 megapixels for example?</p>

<p>Only reason Im hesitating to switch to Nikon is investment in my current gear and the cost to replace it all. I'd be looking at over 8 grand to get the flash, lenses, and body from Nikon to switch. Not chump change for me. Only thing is waiting another 2 or 3 years before Canon decides to compete in this area (megapixels). By then who knows what Nikon would come up with to replace their D800.</p>

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I can give you a definite maybe on that one</p>

<p>If you absolutely need the resolution of the D800, I'd suggest you go out and buy one tomorrow (if not today...)</p>

<p>If you can afford to wait 2 or 3 years, then you obviously don't need it.</p>

<p>If you think/believe a 36mp camera will make you a better photographer you should immediately go for it. Help out the economy in Japan and elsewhere. Free up some good Canon gear for others to utilize. I doubt that Canon will bring out a higher mp camera unless there is a huge migration out of Canon and into Nikon. Seems to me that Canon and Nikon are making more sense with their new pro cameras the D4 and 1DX with their modest mp and higher performance in almost everything else. Good luck!</p>

<p>Three alternatives. <br>

(i) If you make your living from photography, you already know what you need, and you would know whether this is a good business investment. So you wouldn't be asking here. <br>

(ii) If you're rich and have no financial worries, like net worth well into seven figures, you can do whatever the hell you want, so go for it.<br>

(iii) If you're an ordinary working stiff like most of us, put the 8K into your retirement savings and forget about it. Wait for the dust to clear from this generation of camera bodies, and decide in 2015. When you need a 20 x 24 print, dust off the RZ and buy a box of Ektar. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>does your desire for more pixels relate to you being unsatisfied with large prints you make from your current cameras?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

That's the fundamental question. What's the need here? I already print and exhibit 20x30 prints from an 11.3mp camera. I went to an exhibit of two photographers, one from photo.net, a few weeks ago - all 20x20 images from iphones, covered in a big way by the San Francisco daily, and very positively. So what's driving this?</p>

<p>Mr. Harrington- I currently try to use my Pentax 67 when I know I will be making blows to a big size. I like to pixel peep my big pictures, so wanting full rez is desirable. I want the camera to be able to do 300 dpi at 24x36", and see all the little detail in the pic that I can when I use my 67 camera.</p>

<p>Another reason is having larger then needed files for smaller pics helps too. I use Bicubic sharper when downsizing pics, and this helps to add extra detail in the smaller file. Same reason video cameras pixel bin with larger sensors when going to 1080P video.</p>

<p>I could use my 67 camera, but its increasingly becoming a huge hassle when taking on long trips (like flights out, and on busses). Its heavy, takes up room I don't have, and other reasons. I've resorted to using SLR cameras on my last few trips because of the size of cameras. Using a D800 would give me medium format resolution in a small size camera.<br>

I've seen Canon trend on reducing mexapixels in cameras (which for some people is desirable). To me it tells me they don't plan on producing a D800 equivalent. Im wanting to buy a better 50mm lens for my kit, but am having second thoughts on sticking with Canon. My concern is they will not make a D800 type camera in the future (Im saying within 3 years), in which case getting a D800 would be prefered.</p>

<p>I do make large prints. I can currently do a pretty fine job with the 5D2, but I would also be happy to have greater photo site density on a full frame sensor at some point. </p>

<p>I'm confident that Canon will eventually produce a higher MP full frame body. Basically, if for no other reason, market pressure will encourage Canon to do this. But there are reasons for some of use to welcome even greater pixel dimensions.</p>

<p>Regarding 20" x 30" prints from a 11.3 MP sensor and 20" x 20" prints from iPhones... having shot with everything from a 8MP cropped sensor DSLR to a 21 MP full frame DSLR and working with an in-house Epson 7900 printer, I'm certain that those sources will not produce photographs in those sizes that I would be pleased with. In my view the 5D2 can do a very nice 20" x 30" print and even 24" x 36" if the photograph was shot carefully and handled well in post. </p>

<p>That said, the current 5D2 full frame sensor is way more than enough for the majority of folks shooting this camera.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>You can increase the MP of any digital camera by (a) stitching if you do landscapes - take several exposures and use an external program such as PTGUI to make one image from 6 vertical images (even Photoshop can be used to do this); or making several exposures of the same scene and blending the exposure with Photomatix or a similar program.</p>

<p>Yes I think Canon will make a high MP camera - my guess is that the 1Ds4 will be that camera...and it will be available in autumn 2012.</p>

<p>Here is an example of stitching: http://www.photo.net/photo/8468680</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Scott - if you wait long enough maybe Canon will actually use their 120MP sensor...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_150MP_apsh_sensor.html">http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_150MP_apsh_sensor.html</a></p>

<p>Back in 2010 they also reported a CMOS image sensor, with a chip size measuring 202 x 205 mm and said that "Because its expanded size enables greater light-gathering capability, the sensor is capable of capturing images in approximately one one-hundredth the amount of light required by a Canon professional-model digital SLR camera".<br>

<br /> So it's pretty clear that Canon are capable of doing pretty much anything they want to. The only question is "do they want to"?</p>

<p>So you think that Canon, surprised by the D800, could develop, test, build and bring to market a high resolution 1Ds MkIV (something they've more or less said they were not planning to do since the 1D X replaces both the previous 1D and 1Ds models)) in 6 months, even if they wanted to?</p>

<p>And if they knew about the d800 in enough time to develop and bring out that high MP 1Ds MkIV by the fall of this year, why did they still go ahead and launch the 5D MkIII with a lower pixel count? Even Nikon aren't putting their 36MP in their top of the line D4.</p>

<p>Also, if Canon wanted to compete with the D800 in terms of pixel count doing it with a much more expensive 1D whatever model would not be the way to go.</p>

My question is how many prints you make that are greater than 20*30 a year? If you only make one or two, then

changing systems seems a mega waste of money. Are you someone who makes a living making and selling these

huge, high resolution prints? If the answer to this is"no" then it is not objectively worth it. If you do, then you should

already know whether you need it.

Robin Smith

<p>Suppressed angst anyone?<br>

Personally I found the mk3 a woolly disappointment behind the Nikon announcement. Anyone remember the 30D?<br>

I shall stay with Canon only because of the lens/ancilliary investment I have. For me, the 5D3 at UK prices represents corporate 'complacency extraordinaire' at abusive pricing levels. I respect the fact that they've released decent AF into the model and question why it wasn't there in the first place.<br>

I also respect the fact that others here value the model for its strengths and have no wish to question their individual view.</p>

<p>While Canon and Nikon were both on the same page with the D4/1Dx they completely misjudged what each other was doing with their consumer full frames. Their positions have now been reversed, Canon has the high ISO body, and Nikon has the high res body. Judging by reactions here from both sides both may be making some product corrections but that is going to take a year or two. </p>

<p>There is no way the 1Dx replaces both the 1DIV and 1DsIII. Canon had to release the 1Dx for the Olympics. However long it takes them to release the 1DsIV, and even if it is 32-45 MP it will be 2 to 2.5 times as much as the D800. I think the poor economy is having a huge effect on how often these companies are willing to release new bodies. They are trying to maximize the profits in each product lifecycle. Even Nikon has taken the extra step of not making the D800 in Japan to get costs down. </p>

<p>I have been using a combination of Nikon and Canon bodies for the last few years and I am currently using only a 5DII. Boy am I happy I bought it in the fall for under $2000 new. Most of my lenses are Nikon so it is very easy for me to go back and forth except for my most used lens which is a Canon 17 TS-E. I will be sticking with the 5DII for several years to come. Despite the 36 MP sensor of the D800, the 5DII is still an incredibly capable camera and at least with stitching shifted images I do get as high as 42 MP.</p>

<p>I don't recommend switching to Nikon unless there is a specific Nikon lens not available for Canon that you need. For example, I basically switched to Canon for the 17 TS-E. I actually bought the lens before I even had a body to use it on! Canon will eventually deliver an affordable high res body to compete with the D800, or now the D900.</p>

<p>Scott - From your comments, you don't seem like a very serious photographer. You're probably ok with what you have, however, you're free to buy whatever you like. If you really a pro, you wouldn't really be asking anyone about what to get and not get, especially on a forum.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Call it a WAG (doesn't bother me, since that's more or less what it is), but I'm betting that Canon already has higher MP count prototypes up and running and that they have a plan to produce and market cameras based on higher MP sensors already. I have no clue what the timing might be.</p>

<p>Sridip, no need to get nasty and insulting, and especially no need to use the "you don't seem like a very serious photographer" line. We don't need that sort of thing around here. And, Scott, high MP FF DSLRs match MF film in terms of resolution already, though there are reasons other than resolution to consider MF. Many former LF film photographers are already shooting digital MF.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Having a prototype is one thing (Canon certainly does), but getting a new camera from prototype to production is another story. Canon has everything but a good track record lately of getting announced products (which are several steps beyond the prototype stage) to the consumer.</p>