Will a Nikon-dedicated flash work on D70

I currently own a Nikon N80 35mm camera and am using a Sigma EF 500

Super Nikon-dedicated flash with it. Is there any chance that I will

be able to use it on my D70 (if it EVER arrives)?

I remember reading something about the flash-firing voltages present

in the digital cameras being too much for the film camera flashes to

handle. I don't know if I really believe that, and don't want to

have to buy another new flash. On the other hand, I don't want to

fry a perfectly good flash unit. Anyone know the answer on this one?

Thanks in advance.

DG

<<>Anyone know the answer on this one?>>

You need to ask Sigma to ba absolutely sure, but I think you will have a flash that only works in manual power setting mode on a D70. The EF 500 was introduced in 2000 and it is designed to mimic Nikon's 3D matrix fill flash, which gives it lovely compatibility with your N80.

Since then Nikon has offered D-TTL for several digital SLR camera bodies, and now with the D2H and D70 bodies Nikon offers i-TTL flash control. Your EF 500 appears not to know those flash modes.

The only TTL flash mode available for flashes connected to the D70 hot shoe is i-TTL. Flashes that do not understand i-TTL will be limited to (A)uto mode and (M)anual mode on a D70 body. Your EF 500 appears to have a (M)anual mode but not an (A)uto mode.

That's what I expect Sigma will tell you.

As far as I know, the only flash available anywhere in the world for TTL work on the D70 hot shoe is the Nikon SB800 speedlight. Soon, Nikon will offer the SB600 speedlight. Other manufacturers like Sigma and Sunpak and Metz may introduce units that will mimic i-TTL for use on a D70 body.

You'll want a new flash.

By the way, "to fry a perfectly good flash unit" is not the risk most people worry about. What usually happens with voltage issues is a flash with overzealous trigger voltage fries the camera to whch it is attached. In other words, it is your D70 you want to protect. Your flash is probably not quivering in its boots (er, shoes... er, HOT shoes).

-Jim

Thanks for the needed answer.

THAT'S what it was about using a standard flash on a digital body. I got part of it right at least. Back when I heard it I wasn't ready to embrace digital yet, so it wasn't an issue.

You made a very good point about calling Sigma to ask them, although after your explaination of the new TTL mode, I don't see the point. Guess I need to save up some more clams for a new flash unit!

Thanks again.

DG