Will a lens from a 6x9 cover 4x5 format ?

diwan_bhathal

I was wondering if some lenses designed for 6x9 format will cover

4x5?

If someone knows some lenses that will do this with reasonable

falloff/unsharpness at the edges, please let me know.

I was just wondering if the lens from a Moskva 5 could be used in a

LF camera. This is a very nice lens, and since 4x5 is approx. 9x12

(cm), maybe this lens will do the trick.

Thanks,

The short answer is "maybe." If the lens has a large enough image circle, such that it offers the ability to use movements on 6x9, such as with a Baby Speed Graphic, it might cover 4x5 adequately.

But the real answer, "probably not." Lenses designed for 6x9 only need an image circle of ~110mm, while 4x5 requires something like 161mm IIRC. Odds are, a lens designed for a 6x9 camera won't cover 4x5, especially if the 6x9 camera doesn't offer movements.

Just looking at the optics, some should, especially the longer lenses, but the problem I have had is the actual back of the lens housing causes vignetting. If you go on the Mamiya site you will see that mostly everything over 127mm will cover 4x5, so if you were to use something like RB lenses it might work. If you use helical focus lenses I doubt it will work, due to the longer lens housing.

I recently tried all the Mamia Press helical mount lenses and the only one that even came close was the press 127mm lens, but I did not think that it was that sharp. It was okay, but not tack sharp.

You lens might work if you mounted the cells and shutter on a board. IE a Mamiya press lens is really just a LF lens mounted in a Helical.

I think the Graflex is similar.

No.

That is 6x9 centimeters covers 4" circle, while for 4x5 inches covers at least 6" circle. You would need to crop the center out of the big frame, and loose purpose of using 4x5. The 6x9 lens would be less likely to provide coverage for any 4x5 camera shift or tilt.

Also your 4x5 camera bellows perhaps could not allow to be squizzed that much, to allow focusing with the 6x9 lens. Even if could focus, you would only obtain proper exposure in the central area of the 4x5 film frame.

The answer is NO! Specially a lens which is a Tessar clone with just 47 degrees of coverage (Moskva-5).

LF lens are designed with an Image Circle + Angle of Coverage in mind in order to use movements versus a "static" lens for a MF.

My 100/5.6 Apo-Symmar which I use successfully with plenty of movements on my 6x9 Horseman Technical camera but, does not cover my 4x5. It has an image circle of 145mm and a 72 degrees of coverage.

...and as Frank wrote: I had to squeeze the 4x5 bellows, it was pathetic!

Troy, I went to the Mamiya site and could not find their clain that "a lens above 127mm for a RB will cover 4x5". Would you please direct me to it?

It does not depend on a lens given focal lenght as I can't use my Hasselblad Zeiss Sonnar 150/4 on my 4x5 but, my "little" 150/6.8 Goerz Gold Dot Dagor has plenty of movements with almost 90 degrees of coverage on my 4x5.

Thank you to all.

It is clear then that there was no "accident" in the coverage of 6x9 lenses. I wanted to use the Industar that came with my Moskva, but Mr. Fromm gave the deciding answer.

I have tried some spare lenses that I have for different formats, and the light falloff at the edges, when looking at 4x5 is terrible. These lenses are unusable.

• 11 months later...