Will 1 centre filter do for both 75mm SAng and 110mm S.Symmar XL?

upscan

Specific centre filters are made for each the 75mm Super Angulon and

the Super Symmar XL. Because the thread mount happens to be 67mm for

both lenses, it would be convenient if one could get away with one

filter only. Guessing that the light fall off in the 110 is less than

in the 75mm, using the filter intended for the 110mm on the 75mm

would result in under filtration. I would not mind that if there

still is some improvement on the unfiltered 75mm. Has anyone tried

this? Any recommendations? A related question: Looking at the filter

thread for the 110mm it is so close to the lens surface that I am

tempted to install a 72mm step up ring on the 110 SS XL, so that

additional filters will be less likely to cause vigneting. If I

installed the step up ring on the lens itself, that would cause

problems in finding an appropriate center filter so I thought I would

mount the step up ring on the centre filter thread, assuming there is

one and mount additional filters onto the step up ring. Does the

centre filter have a female thread?

Thank you.

I have the 110 with the recommended IIIb Schneider center filter. It has the same physical dimensions as the III which is recommended for the SA75. I would certainly try it on both and see if it meets your requirements based on what you are shooting. Many people don't use a center filter at all and it is a very subjective thing. Don't mess with step-up adapters in this case. Mount the center filter directly to the lens. Mount 86 mm. filters directly to the center filter. With my 110, B+W filters don't touch the glass but it looks very very close. Put a very small piece of tissue paper between the lens and the filter and make sure the paper moves in all directions under the filter.

Do you really need a center filter on the 110XL? I never use mine. I use my original Rodenstock 67mm CF sometimes (not always) with the Grandagon N 75/4.5, when using Velvia, and/or when movements needed.

Which format do you use? I think that with 4x5, the 110XL have a big circle and the fall off (and vignetting) doesn't affect the film on "normal" shots. High quality center filters are so expensive, and coloured filters also, go for the smaller ones... (I use 72mm B&W filters with the 75/110/210/300 lenses)

I wouldn't be worried about to use more than one filter at the same time; if you are not a pro, perhaps you can accept a bit of vignetting when using filters (more than one filter on the 75mm lens, I never have been in this situation...).

I think that a 67mm filter ring used as an extension on the 110XL is the best way to protect its surface.

Buy the best filter glass you can. I bought B&W years ago, and I'm so happy now...

CF have female threads on the front to use with another filters (86mm! front thread).

Good luck,

I do not use a CF on my 110, I've never seen any need. Its the same filter for my 80mm Schneider, and I do use the CF on the 80 more often than not. I wouldn't worry about the step up ring as long as you know your filters clear the front lens surface on the 110