Wildlife in my house

JDMvW

imminent demise of half the universe population. Or...are we??

I hope not. One problem is she's probably getting ready to have a litter. I had left the outside door open for a long time last night, but this AM she's still 'raccooned' away under a desk in a bunch of boxes. It's so cold (and getting colder) that I'm afraid pipes will freeze if I leave the outside door open for a long time.

The dog, having had a run in, is kind of nervous.

I have a call in to Animal Control, but like everything else nobody seems to actually be there,:(

• Like 1

Both Terminix and just now the animal control officer have been here. No luck. Next we get the wildlife people and a trap.

It's not clear whether it's still inside or not, but I suspect it is; I thought I heard chirps....

I did leave an outside door open last night for an hour, but achieved nothing but nearly frozen pipes and a run-away dog, so far as I can tell.

Finally a neighbor grabbed the dog for me.

I can call my dog from the vasty yards, so can any man but does she come when I do call? :rolleyes:

1329982389_Lokis-1st-snow-016.jpg.c34b3fdd779c338fbec6d6d5f3df9c92.jpg

Edited by JDMvW

These critters are cute, but not good to have around. Were I you I'd call a company that makes a living removing animals. They are far more likely to respond. Worst case buy a mid sized Hava-hart trap and set it in the room.- PB would likely work, but the trap company makes bait suggestions.

Several years ago, I had the problem of a marmot that was living under the next door neighbor's garden shed and eating both his garden and mine. I managed to trap the marmot in a live trap using half an apple covered in peanut butter as bait. I transported the marmot to a creek bed about a mile away, which should have been a suitable environment for the marmot.

I purchased the trap a number of years ago when our daughter's rabbit dug out of his backyard enclosure and relocated to the same neighbor's house and was was making a feast of his garden. I lined the floor of the rabbit enclosure with chicken wire, which put an end to his escapes.1228288388_marmotintrap.thumb.jpg.d4416da5ba617d89b978964b115977cd.jpg .

Me, I think, what we call animals are just another lifeform ,on our burning ball in space,; what we call a our home.. Why abuse them, and hunt them, for personal pleasure? We will regret when they are gone. A emptiness..

DNA , tells the story, we are all much of the sameness.

Respect for our fellows who share this place. Show them a Kindness....and we are not merciless killers.

"Respect for our fellows who share this place. Show them a Kindness....and we are not merciless killers."

Agreed, and I really like raccoons and think they have endearing qualities. BUT, they are extremely destructive inside a house, can carry rabies, and their excrement can also carry Baylisascaris procyonis, a roundworm that can be very harmful to people. It is best that the animal either leaves on its own or you get a wildlife control person to humanely remove the animal(s) to a new home in the woods.

Outdoors, cute and cousin-animal.

Indoors, it's a wild animal, not a pet. Would it be more natural if it and my dog (already a resident) killed or maimed each other? They've already had two spinning-fur encounters. No one obviously hurt so far, I'm glad to say.

No animals shall be harmed in the removal (if still necessary) of this animal.

"Actually, I AM a "merciless killer" JD

Okay, please don't murder our little friend. She is just trying to find warmth, and a kind place to have her babies.

I understand your dilemma. .

If, we were talking about a human, child? Would your thoughts differ?

A lesser lifeform? Then of course, a question, which begs itself.

Are they just a lesser life form. And, us, humanity, we decides the fate of lesser lifeforms.

Death.

Edited by Allen Herbert

"Actually, I AM a "merciless killer" JD

Okay, please don't murder our little friend. She is just trying to find warmth, and a kind place to have her babies.

I understand your dilemma. .

If, we were talking about a human, child? Would your thoughts differ?

A lesser lifeform? Then of course, a question, which begs itself.

Are they just a lesser life form. And, us, humanity, we decides the fate of lesser lifeforms.

Death.

Sorry, this is not a fuzzy little Disney creature. They carry Rabies - one of the symptoms of rabies is behavior different from the norm, an obvious one would be entry into close contact with humans in a residence. They can and often do cut up dogs, mine are large country dogs, so other than a mess, that wouldn't be an issue. Wild animals are not welcome in homes of people with a clue. By your logic, your home is overrun with Rats, Mice, Roaches, and other urban wildlife often photographed in UK towns? I'd guess not.

If we moved forward in time, it would be not be a trouble, a fear, of a racoon in your barn; it would be a wondaful thing. A great rarity, and considered a wonderful kindness of nature. Few racoon exist in that time.

Meanwhile, today, few folk care a monkeys, other than the pleasure of killing them, from a great distance, with, the latest technology, of a powerful , weapon.

Face to face they would sht themselves. Humanity.

Edited by Allen Herbert

If we moved forward in time, not the kill of of animals in out time, a racoon in your barn would be a wondaful thing.

A great rarity, and considered a wonderful act of nature.

Meanwhile, today, few fold care a monkeys, other than the pleasure of killing them from a great distance, with a the latest technology of a powerful weapon.

Face to face they would sht themselves.

Unrecognized, untreated, though rare, 99% death rate in humans from Rabies. Recovery rate from Covid just a bit less, 98.6 plus depending on source. You should consult a professional.