Wildlife in Cyprus

craig_churchill

Craig,

On which part of the island will you be staying, and how mobile will you be? As you probably know, the island is split roughly in half between the Greek side and the Turkish side (their relationship is one of mutual dislike), and there are inconvenient regulations hampering getting back and forth between the two. The enmity between the two sides has nurtured a conspicuous military presence. In case we don't exchange any more info, you need to be aware from the start that photography anywhere near a military installation is VERY risky. Anyone with a camera (esp. a big lens) is assumed to be a spy and may be detained and interrogated. Even civilians are encouraged to report the presence of anyone taking pictures in any "unusual" places. Bird photo ops do exist, but you must be aware of your surroundings. Don't be near military installations or near the buffer zone separating the two sides. And be alert for undue attention from anybody you don't know.

You should also be aware that the locals consider birds primarily a source of food, even small passerines, and large numbers are taken during migration. This is a depressing spectacle. Last time I was aware of anything this was illegal, but enforcement is nil.

On the positive side, there are generally lots of birds on the island during migration, and also during winter, but relatively few during summer. Don't know anything about the herps there.

Craig,

I did glimpse your follow-up info before it was (apparently) deleted. You're going to be base near Paphos.

You need to get a bird-finding guide. I can recommend one but I don't have it with me right now and can't remember the title, nor the author. You'd also benefit from local contacts. I'll send you contact info if/when I get consent from them to do so.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend a few places which were good in Fall (which may bear little resemblance to May).

1) Paphos lighthouse. I didn't have much luck there but others have. Same with other cape-like migrant-catching locations to the north, along the west coast, where I've not been.

1) Mandria. This is a small town along the south coast, east of Paphos but west of Episkopi. You turn south at a small sign, find your way to the southwest side of the town into an agricultural area. You might find things to photograph from within your vehicle along the dirt roads.

2) Dhiarizos (sp?) Valley. One of several windy roads going up towards the Troodos. You'll have to work hard for photos, but there is worthwhile birdlife up there, eg, nesting Bonelli's Eagle and Long-legged Buzzard.

3) Episkopi cliffs. Immediately southeast of the military installation. Turn south on a tiny but paved road near a sign that says something "theatre". Park when you run out of room and walk any trail that leads downhill to the cliff edges. Early and late in the day is best light for seeing and photographing Griffon Vultures and Eleonora's Falcons (the latter don't nest until Fall but should be there by May).

4) Akrotiri area. Phassouri reedbeds can be good. Akrotiri lake should have things unless it's dried up.

5) Larnaca salt lake, just west of the airport. Lots of waders and flamingos unless it's dried up.

Here's the reference I'd try to obtain:

A Birdwatching Guide to Cyprus

Arthur Stagg & Graham Hearl

Arlequin Press

26 Broomfield Rd,

Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1SW

UK

phone 01245 267771

This doesn't really discuss photography per se, but you have to find the locations before you can take pictures, right?