Wildlife Autofocus Settings

Just curious about which AF Zone settings wildlife photographers use on a Canon 5D MK 4 (single-point spot AF, single point AF, AF point expansion, AF point expansion, zone AF or large zone AF). If the animal is stationary, my tendency is to use the single-point spot or single point AF to make sure the animal’s closest eye is razor sharp. That comes at a price, though, because as soon as it moves it becomes nearly impossible to keep in focus. So, what setting do others use with a stationary animal vs. a moving animal? If you use AF point expansion or wider, are you more likely to lose your critical focus, or do you just hope that a higher f stop will keep a broader area sharp (that’s not always feasible in low-light conditions). Bottom line, if you see a stationary elk or a running elk, what AF zone settings do you use? Thanks in advance!

I am Nikonian and really do not know how Canon AF system works in practice. I suppose, in principle, both brands the same.

For me, only shoot BIF. AFC mode, Single point for big bird like seagulls, 4point group for small bird.

Further, I set M mode auto ISO, min. speed, max. ISO acceptable depending body used. This setting allows me to play with aperture and speed according to site condition.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1