Wildflower Bloom Timing Help Needed for Lower New England/Upper Mid-Atlantic Region

jo7hs2

I know the timing for these species in the S.E., but can somebody provide me with

approximate bloom timing for the Skylands Region of NJ (north N. Jersey), or the

Hudson Valley up to the Catskills in NY, or N.E. PA for the following

species:<br><br>

- Yellow Lady's Slipper (any variety)<br>

- Pink Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium acaule)<br>

- Showy Orchis (Orchis spectibilis)<br>

- Grass Pink (Calopogon pulchellus)<br>

- Jack-in-the-pulpit<br>

- Mountain Laurel<br>

- May Apple<br>

- Tulip Tree (Liriodendron Tulipfera)<br><br>

I'm having a lot of trouble finding bloom timing information in this region. All I need

is a good range, like those provided in most books, no more specificity than the

beginning or end of a month is needed. I'm just looking to know when to keep my

eyes peeled for certain things.

I'm located in Ontario, just across the border from Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River, slightly north of the areas you're looking into to. Jack in the pulpit and may apples are blooming now. Yellow lady's slipper, pink lady's slipper and showy ochis are due to bloom next month, about mid to late June. I have no idea on the grass pinks, mountain laurel grows south of us but I did visit Pennsylvania around Harrisburg a few years back in late June and it was in bloom then. Hope that helps give you some idea. You might check some of university botany sites, or do a google search with the flower name and location to find sites of nature organizations that give descriptions of flowers in their areas.

Lauren,

That's step 2. I usually try here first, because we often have somebody closer to where I'm looking than most groups.

Rose-Marie,

Thanks, I can do the math a bit from your timing information. Being all the way down in Alabama right now, the timing here isn't all that helpful. Our May-Apples are already fruiting, the Yellow Lady's Slippers have been done for two weeks or more, the Showy Orchis for about a week or so, and the Pink Lady's Slippers seem to have peaked last week.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to catch the Pink Lady's Slippers again in N.E. PA around the end of May/early June, based on some information I've found. I've already seen most of these plants this year (all except Showy Orchis), but I'm looking for some better photographs. I've got location information for both the Pink Lady's Slippers (N.E. PA) and Yellow Lady's Slippers (N. NJ), and finding May-Apples and Jack-in-the-pulpit shouldn't be all that hard.

In New Jersey the Rule of Thumb for Lady Slippers is Mothers Day to Fathers Day is the window for them - Memorial Day weekend usually always finds them in good bloom.

Jack in the Pulpits are in full boom now.

May-Apple in the next couple fo weeks

Grass Pink is in June, especially towards the middle of the month they are in high bloom.

Mountain Laurel is a mid May flower,

I just saw a Tulip bloom that fell from its tree, so they are starting now as well.

Brien,

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed, and wanted to hear, because I can get to the location where I know there to be Yellow Lady's Slippers right around then.

Folks like you are why I ask here!

John,

I'm going to be in NY/NJ/PA (Orange County, NY) next week, so that information would be very useful. I've already got one Nature Conservancy site on my list for next week, in the hope that some Yellow Lady's Slippers are still in bloom, and a PA site for Pink Lady's Slippers the following week.

For next time, so you don't have to post your address in the clear...

If you click on my name, my profile will come up. Right at the very top of the profile is an "e-mail x" link. It will provide a user's e-mail address.