Wielding the power of the image

In this day and age there is no doubt about power of the image. Hopefully

every photographer is aware of this power.

Everyone showing images to others, whether to friends and family, or on photo

sharing sites like Flickr, is wielding this power to some extent. So how many

photographers consider the effect of their images on those who view them?

Whether we choose to do anything about this or with this is a question of our

own morals.

We should be thinking like arms dealers, not like children playing with toy

guns.

http://www.nabj.org/front/news/story/39880p-59472c.html

"Gordon Parks, legendary photojournalist"

*** QUOTE ***

He recalls drawing on that lesson years later, seeing the power of his camera in action.

''I was riding in a car with four members of the Black Panthers, being trailed in Oakland or Berkeley by the police. They had their guns and lights trained on us.

''One of the guys in the car asked me, if I had my choice of weapons right there, which would I choose. I told him, 'Look, you've got a .45 automatic, I have a 35mm camera. I think my weapon is just as powerful as yours.' ''

A few weeks later, the Black Panther sitting next to him was dead. ''But I got my story out. I'll still take my weapon over his.''

*** END QUOTE ***

The only caution I would have is that sometimes ego is mistaken for power (and this is meant

to be a generic statement, in no way relating to Parks, whose exhibit I just saw yesterday at

Stanford University, and who does seem to me to have the real thing--power), especially

ones own.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

"We should be thinking like arms dealers, not like children playing with toy guns."

I don't know about others, but I never point a loaded camera at people. LOL

I don't know about arms dealers but I'd sure like a scope mounted Henry Big Boy Deluxe engraved .44 cal.

If.......there is a power being wielded via my images, it is the viewers doing. I certainly don't even think about that end of it when I'm taking the picture. My concern is strictly portraying what my mind and eye see. It's my view of the world. If my view of the world wields a power............well, it is what it is then. I'm not going to change it because maybe what if it affects someone negatively or positively. It is what it is........my view of the world.

I am agree with Adam in his awarines in the matter and think that photogaphers as well as any other creators must realize and have to care their responsibility for that they do. However there is a problem in issue. A creative process IMO is not realy intelectual process. And many creators are actually a junky for a creative act, in case of photography it also is a very qvick happening sometimes. I often see the young ones who practically do anything they pickup on as so wanted truth or sensing the possibility of power or change with it. There is an attraction in provocation, in being rebelious, in being antisocial for a 1/125 sec time with hope for excuse after all. The late is also a blocker for true creativity. What to do? Can't say. As for me, sometimes I refuse myself to take a shot I want. Many times I do not produce the image ASAP.

I would also remark on Fred Goldsmiths caution not to mistake ego for power. I think the ego manifested in egotism is the very way of & to the power and as such must not be neglected but cultivated. Experimenting on my own grounds and looking at other peoples results I can say: wild ego is distructive, reduced to minimun it renders one unconstructive, the most powerful and effective people I know are in possession of very strong yet cultiveted ego. Makes them ambitious, creative and hungry inteligent. The categoria of Moral, Humanity, Selfdiscipline and Willpower has to be considered in this discurtion because IMO the image is the way of communicating these things from one who has more of it to another who look for it. If these are not in hold the picture IMO can only be dull or go on being shocking which is sort of power too.

"And the pen is mightier than the sword... ;-)"

That's a romantic myth as it was the sword which overcame dictators such as Tojo and Hitler and it was the pen which allowed Pol Pot to succeed.

Just as one needs to concern themselves with responsibility in regard to the sword, one must also exercise the same responsibility when they choose to use the pen. Neither is a zero sum game.

"So how many photographers consider the effect of their images on those who view them? Whether we choose to do anything about this or with this is a question of our own morals."

What a crock. Morals? Oh, please, quit trying to make every image something precious and socially IMPORTANT. You've made a personal value judgement and are now trying to get others to buy into it. Sorry, I don't. None of my photos have anything to do with morals - and the photos are in no way important to anyone.

I just have a hard enough time making images that are in some way interesting. Whether they have any effect on someone else is really up to that person and not me. Either they engage the photo and it's meaningful to them or not - I don't have any control over that and neither do you.

Al,

I agree with you. As a photographer of minor league baseball, and a team photographer last season, I can't begin to tell you how many requests I got from players for pictures. The joy in seeing three or four guys huddled around a photo I took gave me a great deal of satisfaction. Some of those guys are bonafide major league prospects, and to see them smiling like 12 year old little leaguers really warms the heart. It told me I have the power to make people happy. I'm very comfortable with that.