widest lens for 5d mark II

howard b. schwartz

<p>Sigma makes a 12-24mm zoom for about $700. Not everyone is crazy about the sharpness of that lens, or the durability, but it's the widest focal length available.</p>

<p>There's a Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6 made for Leica mount, and it's much sharper, but I think it works on rangefinders only. The widest prime I know of for Canon EF is 14mm, and there are several to choose from. Canon, Sigma, and Tamron all make a 14mm, and I believe the level of quality declines in the same order.</p>

<p>Tamron and Sigma both make or used to make 14mm rectlinear lens, I have the Tamron which at least at Fredmiranda.com was rated higher than the Sigma and at that time was rated higher than the Canon. Canon has since come out with a II version that is very highly rated. I don't use zooms at the very wide angles because of the distortion at the edges. Distortion is not as critical in landscape but in architecture a pain in the behind to correct.</p>

<p>I have tried both the EF 14mm/2.8L and the sigma 12-24mm (which I own) and would not hesitate recommending the sigma. Stop it down to f13 and avoid direct sunlight and sharpness/contrast is much better that stated by some. Here is a picture I took in Kamchatka at 12mm (I am new to the forum so I hopefully succeed in uploading it from my pc :))</p>

<p> </p><div>00VibA-218587684.jpg.d5554857d1ea26d5fbaf2495f5f8ef4b.jpg</div>

<p>My walkaround lens is the 16-35mm and I shoot most everything with it, including my environmental portraits. I also have the 17-40mm, which is less expensive and every bit as good really, just a stop slower. It works great on the 5DII as that camera does much better than the 1dsmkIII at high iso--close to two stops better.</p>

<p>Most of these lenses, zooms, are not great at the edges when full wide, even stopped down, but the problem corrects itself fairly quickly as you lengthen the focal length. But I have heard that some of the primes get a bit soft at the corners as well. The best I heard was the new 17mm TS lens, but it is over $2000 as well.</p>

Since you mentioned widest, I did not mention that Tokina used to make a 17mm prime. I have one of those, I sold my 17-40L after that purchase. The distortion on the 17-40 L is 3.8 at 17mm, while the 17mm prime is 1.78, a large difference. Canon does make a 20mm prime that is a very nice lens. The 16-35L II comes close to the Tokina but still has more distortion. Again, if the subject will be landscape the distortion will not be as much of an issue.

<blockquote>

<p>“Here is a picture I took in Kamchatka…”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jorgen, this is a beautiful picture. May I ask, where in Kamchatka it was taken?<br /> I’m interested, since here in Iceland there is a remarkably similar place called <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viti_crater,_Askja,_Iceland.jpg">Víti</a> , located in the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askja">Askja</a> caldera. It’s even safe to go for a swim in Víti, the water’s lovely.</p>

<p>A none fisheye is also nkown as a rectilinear lens. For 35mm film or full frame digital SLR's the widest the 14mm. However Sigma does tend to push the limits in design. Sometimes with excellent results (Sigma 50 F1.4EX). And sometimes with bad results (more destortion). I have not used the Sigma 12-24. However a friend does have the older 15-30 and it does distort more than I would prefer. However I don't use the very wide end much so 17-40mm is more than good enough for me. </p>

<p>The Sigma 12-24mm has incredibly low distortion for such a stupidly wide lens, in fact it is quite uncanny how straight the verticals stay, even at the edge of the frame. Those 3 shots I posted have had no alteration as far as perspective or distortion are concerned. My copy is quite reasonably sharp at f8-f11.</p>

<p>Generally I don't like Sigma lenses, their reliability is poor and their QC is terrible. But for 12mm I had no other option and, so far, this lens has been a good one.</p>

<p>My second attempt, first time weather knocked out my internet service. To give one an idea of what a 14mm on a full frame can do I have following an image taken this past Christmas. I was standing right below a Christmas tree about 20 feet tall, the image behind it is a city block wide, the two buildings on the far left and right are two blocks over. Canon 5D, Tamron 14mm at f/5.6</p><div>00ViuX-218783584.jpg.7e9d9f9798310b59be4a1e403c7bd609.jpg</div>