widelux film stock

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by 10984774, Oct 16, 2019.

  1. hello,

    thinking about purchasing a Widelux F8 but trying to figure out what stock can be used with this and where to buy it from.
    moreover I want to know if any film developing store can work with the bought film or i have to take this to a special place.

  2. Vincent Peri

    Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

    The Widelux F8 takes 35mm film:

    Widelux - Wikipedia

    I doubt if just any lab can make prints from the negatives. I'd call and ask first.
  3. I don't know about stock, but I find processors very restricted in which film size they can take.

    Most that I know will only do 35mm and 120.

    However: Widelux - Wikipedia

    says that the F series use 35mm film, so you should be fine.
  4. Seems that someone else got the answer in.

    I started writing, then got distracted before posting.

    As for printing, scan the negatives, then find some place to print them.

    Many places will only print files with the appropriate crop to fit.

    You might need to scan larger than the image, such that you can print
    on ordinary sized paper, then cut off the parts outside the frame.
  5. 135 film comes at various speeds as slide color or BW neg and you should make up your mind what you want and need.
    Processing the film exposed by your Widelux should be no problem for places that process such* film. (*cautious answer of somebody expecting you to dig out Kodachrome, Extachrome IR, or odd movie stock).
    Scanning or printing might mean trouble. - My 35mm negative scanner wouldn't handle such wide frames. A MF scanner might lack a matching film holder. If labs are able to print your negs they might charge a lot, declaring the job "manual labor" with a conventional enlarger.
    Wet darkroom home printing with an enlarger made for 6x6 negs with glass negative carriers 6x6 light system and an 80mm lens should be as easy as printing in a domestic darkroom is in other formats.
    Outsourcing that work might get expensive.- Ask your (kind of) local photo finishers for their pricing before you buy that camera!
  6. I've had a few Widelux over the years. You get the film developed uncut and returned in a roll. Custom labs can print. Otherwise it is you.
  7. It seems that places do know how to print panoramic prints.
    (Though the price might be the same as a wider print with the same length.)

    Kodak used to sell a disposable panoramic camera, with a 24mm lens and
    mask to 12x36mm image. (I always figured that I could slice out of shots
    with my Nikkor 24/2.8 for a nice panoramic shot.)

    If you can scan them, places will print them.

    I have a NexLab F135, which I believe can scan any frame length desired.
    (I have scanned the strange frames from the Mercury II, which are
    about 4.5 perforations long.)

    Flatbed scanners with back lights should do it, though some film
    holders have bars across the strip. One might cut those off to
    allow longer frames. Or just scan with the strip on the
    glass, with no holder, or a sheet of glass on top.
  8. I just about always have my film returned uncut. In the 1990's, I would put strips of five
    in PrintFile pages, where processors liked to return strips of four.

Share This Page