Wide to Tele lenses --- which one to buy

flickr url

Hello,

<br>I need to buy a wide to tele - all purpose fast lens, am looking

at the 20-300 Tamron and the 28-300 Sigma. I will mostly use this

lens as a landsacpe lens, occasionally macro and portraits. Any ideas!

<br>Nikon does not have an equivalent. I use an F5 and a D70.

<br>Any help is highly appreciated....

<br>

<br>Thanks,

<br>-Naveen

Based upon my personal experience with these two lenses, let me caution you that neither of them is a particularly good performer, especially once you go past 200mm or so. I found the images shot at anything other than perhaps f8 to be pretty poor optically. Very soft.

If you absolutely insist on buying a super zoom, then I would stick with the 28-200 versions, although frankly, they are nothing to write home about optically at the long end either. They are however, better than the 28-300's.

You will be better off selecting a shorter zoom in the 28-80 range and another in the 70-300 range and carrying both. Your photos will be dramatically better, although your gear will be less convenient. Everything is a trade off, but assuming that a sharp crisp image is what you want, I urge you to avoid the 28-300 lenses.

Hi

I suggest the following

1- Nikon 28-105mm macro zoom lens for land scape, macro and portrait

= about $320

---OR--

2- nikon 24-120mm VR G all trael lens for landcape portrait and good zoom range but no macro = about $550

---OR---

3- Nikon 24-85mm and 70-300mm with you choice for g or non g version.= total about $480 for G version and about $850 for ed none g version

---OR--

4- 18-35mm for land scape and 80-200mm f2.8 + nikon 60mm macro lens = about $1250

-----OR---

5- the best are what we all dream about to have or already have :

NIKON: 17-35mm f/2.8 , 28-70 f/2.8 , 70-200mm G VR, 70-180mm macro = total about $5500

Most of people prefer to have either 20mmFOR $425 or 24mm for $309 as fixed lenses for landscape addition to their gear.

I hope that the above answer question

Best regards

Mohamed

Without the polite second-posting from Naveen, this question and thread sound like the typical PhotoForum troll! "I want an all purpose-something-zoom for my F5"...

But now the question seems serious after all! And I hope Naveen found his answer ...'settling' for some superb optics for his fine camera's! Most of all I am happy to see all these polite and helpful contributiuns (apart from this one). You people really behaved well this time! [end of rant]

AH