wide angle pinhole

Just look up pinholes. Pinhole focal lengths are the same as lenses in terms of performance.... super wide 135 lenses being around 20mm or less. The main problem with pinhole cameras and superwide angles is that pinholes suffer from severe light-fall off. Wider than 60 degrees feild of veiw, the images get not only dark, but out of focus. To balance the light-fall off your camera would have to have a curved film-plane. Pinhole cameras built inside cans offer super-wide angles while minimizing light and focus fall-off. The disadvantage is the curve is only horizontal which creates perspective distortions in the image. The simpliest panoramic pinhole cameras are 180 degree cameras built with a half-circle shape body, usually film is loaded one sheet at a time.

• 1 month later...

<a href="http://opsgolb.blogspot.com/2006/07/toomel.html">

http://opsgolb.blogspot.com/2006/07/toomel.html</a> -This 360-degree panoramic

image is made with a special rotating pinhole camera, that holds a piece of 120 film on a

drum that rotates in camera while camera itself is rotated. Focal length is circa 24 mm... I

think it's almost as wide as one can get :)

Hi Camila.

The easiest way is to buy a pinhole or inhole body cap. But it is surprisingly simple to make it yourself -- if you like crafting etc.

I make pinholes out of aluminum coke cans, a needle, and fine sandpaper (#600 to #1200). With the help of a lupe I check the shape of the pinhole. If you have SLR camera and a 28mm lens, you can also use the lens "reversed" to magnify the pinhole the same as a good lupe. Finally, if you have a scanner you can scan the pinhole with 4800dpi together with a ruler then you can even measure its diameter.

Cheers, Marcio