Wide Angle Lens for Weddings

pasha_belman

<p>I do have the Nikkor 14 - 24 2.8, which is extremely wide. But again, the 14 is only usable for overviews from a distance, since you will get a clear fisheye effect. If you take a group shot at 14mm it will not be pretty. <br>

If you want to go for extremely wide - overview of entire church, this is the lens. But I would not use it for group shots to be honest.<br>

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/361-nikkor-af-s-14-24mm-f28-g-ed-n-test-report--review</p>

<p>I also have the Sigma 24 - 70 2.8.<br>

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/474-sigma_ex_2470_28_hsm_fx<br>

That is a great lens, since it has a very nice range going from group shots to portraits. And I have to say I'm very happy with the quality. The price difference with the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 made me choose the Sigma and I'm happy I did. Got mine second hand for 250 euros.</p>

<p>If you shoot these group shots and overviews in confined spaces, perhaps the Nikkor 17- 35 2.8.<br>

Seems to be a fine lens from what I read of other users. For me, there is too much overlap with my other 2.8 lenses, so I got the 18-35 version 3.5 - 4.5. If you would consider buying the 17-35 2.8, perhaps get a second hand 18-35 mm f/3.5 - 4.5 first to see if the range works for you.</p>

<p>For me, the Sigma 24 - 70 and the Nikkor 14 - 24 is a great combination. Be aware that the Nikkor 14 - 24 is only usable at 20 - 24 for group shots. When you go wider, you get too much fisheye effect for a clean group shot. BUT, you will get great overviews at 14mm. Wonderful sharpness!!</p><div>00VazT-213663684.jpg.1031dadef8fe2ba361834438b0d54fcd.jpg</div>

<p>I've got the 14-24 as well as the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4. Both are wonderful lenses. I've thought about selling the Tamron, but it's much smaller and lighter than the Nikon, so it makes a great wide angle travel lens. It also takes filters, which is a big plus.</p>

<p>The key to group shots is to keep everyone away from the edge of the photo. That's nearly a universal rule for wide angle lenses. If you can do this, the Tamron will be wide enough and sharp enough for your uses. It remains at f/2.8 from 17-19mm - which is perfect. You'll get some vingetting at this focal length, and even more if you use a CP filter. But otherwise, it's a great bargain, and a much better lens than you'd expect to get for the price.</p>

<p>The 14-24 f/2.8G is an EXTREME wide-angle lens. I don't think you want to use it for portraits or weddings. It will distort people's features. Also, it will be difficult to protect the exposed front element if you're close to a lot of people, as at a wedding reception.</p>

<p>What lenses are you using now? What is your widest lens, and how is it restricting you?</p>

<p>It could be that 28mm or 24mm would be wide enough. That should be plenty wide for almost any shot at a wedding. If so, the 24-70mm f/2.8 G or the older 28-70 f/2.8 might be your best bet. The 24-85 f/2.8-4 D lens would be a less expensive version. If you need to go wider than that, consider the 17-35 mm f/2.8 D.</p>

<p>If you need an occasional wide shot at something like a wedding, considerer panoramic stitching of multiple portrait-oriented images taken at or near 50mm.</p>

<p>For most wedding and other groups, 35MM (on full frame camera) is as wide as I'd dare go. Lenses wider will distort people near the frame edges, usually by making them appear wider/fatter. Which is never a good thing when your goal is to flatter your subjects.</p>

<p>Wider glass certainly has it's place at weddings. I often shot a 20mm or a 24mm , for their effects. But never on groups.</p>

<p>I do not have any wide angel lenses. That is why I am asking. Price is not an issue. I do not have to go to wide for group shots.. just Looking to have two or three lenses at the wedding, or any other occasions. I have 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and wanted to add a wide angel. Thanks to all for your input. </p>