Wide-angle lens for nikon APS-C

pavishine

Hi! I'm looking into getting an ultra-wide-angle lens for my Nikon D7200 camera, but there are quite a few options available and I'm not sure what i should choose from these:

Nikon 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

The Tokina is about 20€ more expensive, so not a huge difference price-wise between the 2 for me.

I tend to do a lot of low light work hand-held, but almost never of moving subjects (especially on such a wide-angle lens), so I'm not sure if the VR or the much faster aperture is better. Nikon claims the VR allows you to shoot at 3.5 stops lower shutter speed, so even with a conservative 2 stops lower shutter speed, that makes the lenses comparable for low light hand-held shots where you do not have moving subjects.

Obviously the Nikon one has the advantage of being equipped with the best auto-focus, but that does not make a huge difference for my use case. Also, the Nikon one is much more portable, which could be beneficial since then I'd be more inclined to take it with me, but it's not by far the most important thing since, for example, I don't have any issues taking my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 with me despite its big size.

I might want to do astrophotography eventually, and for that the Tokina seems way better on paper, unless it exhibits huge coma smearing at f/2.8.

Edited by Sandy Vongries

I own the earlier version of the Tokina 11-16mm/2.8. Bought it for my D5100, and it has served equally well on the D7100. An excellent value, particularly if you can find a gently used copy. No experience with the Nikkor option, but they tend to be very good. I really like and frequently have used the wide aperture on my Tokina. This will be very desirable if you intend to do much in the way of low light or astrophotography.

Nikon lists it as fisheye and the angle mapping is equisolid; at no focal length setting and for no sensor format does the lens produce a rectilinear image.

Well, yes! :)

What i was meaning was it's not just a circular fisheye. Which I guess makes it a diagonal or full-frame fish eye. That's all.

It certainly has no pretensions to rectilinearism what-so-ever....:D

• Like 1

I had the earlier, variable aperture sigma 10-20mm, which was OK.

Once DxO had a lens correction available the weird moustache distortion 'disappeared'.

However, I sold it and got the Sigma 8-16mm. It's not that great, resolution wise, wide open on the edges, so I just leave it at f8.

Sigma 8-16 mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM review - Image resolution - LensTip.com

114 deg across and NO filters....:(