Wide Angle Lens for an FM2n.

I hope that this is the right place to ask.

I want to buy a wide angle lens for my Nikon FM2n , (it will have to be second hand).

I would like to get something in the 20mm to 28mm focal length range.

What do you think that I should be looking for and what ball park price range would be fair , (the local sellers seem to overprice their wares :))

Thank you.

The image quality of Nikon's 20mm's ranges from very good to excellent so you can't really go wrong - but as with all old lenses, sample variation increases with age. Just buy one with what you think has a fair price, and sell it if you are not happy.

I currently own the 20/3.5 Ai which I like a lot; it's tiny and sharp.

I have no experience with Nikon's 24mm's. That focal length doesn't work well for me - others will have to comment on that.

Nikon's 28mm's are also mostly very good or better. I would avoid the Series E version and the first 5 element AF version. I currently own both the 28/2 AiS and the 28/2.8 AiS. If I were to choose only one, I would probably pick the 28/2.8 mainly for it's smaller size.

• Like 2
Niels

I really like the 20mm f/2.8 AiS but they tend to sell for quite a lot in good condition. There are, however, a bunch of 20s to consider. I have 35, 28 & 24, but when I want wide, the 20 is invariably what I go for. Same thing with my digital camera zoom; it goes to 24 and I'm always up against the stop wishing for a few more mm.
  • Like 1

The best that I have is the Zeiss ZF 25mm f2. It is sharp wide open and chromatic aberration is well controlled. The other is the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais. I have posted pictures with both before and plan to post some with the 28/2.8 tomorrow on film camera week. The 28/2.8 is small and the Zeiss is one of few really good lenses with an aperture ring for the FM2n.
  • Like 1

So much of this is about what you are trying to do. I have Nikon 20, 24, 28 (gave that to a friend) and 35. The 20 was often too wide, and the 28 somehow fell between and got little use. I used the 24 most in the wide category, and the 35 as low end "normal". Roberts Used Photo Pro has two 24mm and a 35mm at the moment, the better of the two 24mm, $110. They always understate product condition and do offer a guarantee. If you wait, and shop you can probably do better. Note: I have no association with them ex as a satisfied customer.

Note: I have been a satisfied customer of Vincent as well!:)

Edited by Sandy Vongries
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies , and steering me in the right direction.

It appears that most of the Nikkor lenses in these focal lengths are worth buying , I will avoid the "Series E" and the first "5 element AF" versions.

I will most certainly keep a lookout for the Sigma lenses.

Zeiss lenses are not often seen for sale around here , those that have them tend to keep them :D.

Now to see what I can find at a price which I am prepared to pay.

Vincent I have replied to you PM.

Cheers.

A LOT depends on YOU, and what other lenses you have and what you shoot.

I have a 24. At the time, the reason was, it was the widest lens that still used a 52mm filter.

Indoors, wider is better, because I have literally had my back against the wall, not being able to back up any more.

However, there were/are many that cannot handle a 24. If you tilt the camera, you will see the wide angle "distortion" more so than a 28, so you had to pay attention to keeping the camera LEVEL. So back then, a 28 was considered the limit of most people, and I contend that it is just as true today.

If it is your only wide, I would not get the 20. IMHO, for general use, the 20 is way too wide to be your only wide.

If you have a 35 or 28, then a 20 as a 2nd wide makes sense.

Edited by Gary Naka
  • Like 1

For the FM series no need to bother with AF lenses. To me there’s a big difference from 20-28 and I would get the 20 for sure and either of the other two as budget allows. The manual focus lenses are nicely priced these days. As mentioned earlier Vincent is a good person to buy from.

Rick H.

• Like 1

I once had the 28mm AIS, but my sample had pretty bad lateral color fringing and un-sharpness at infinity, so I sold it.

Later, I acquired a 24mm AI, and my sample is very strong. No optical shortcomings at all.

I suspect this is all sample variation, since most people prefer these lenses in the opposite order that I do.

• Like 1

Widest lens I have is a Vivitar 19-35 zoom, which I have used with both an FE2 and D700.

I haven't tried to measure image quality at all, but it is fun!

9107-AA010A.thumb.jpg.50b09ba5538a8cebc9dcb233bd9adf84.jpg

I believe this is one, with the FE2, almost under the Golden Gate bridge.

• Like 4

-- glen